Its free if all youre doing is switching terminals. For instance CM at PTY does 40 min connections, including to some US destinations (e.g. I want 90 minutes with a domestic.connectio. This seemed ok to me. An advantage of this would be access to cheaper fare inventory when the system creates a connecting itinerary. I got wheelchair service and got to the gate at 9:20. Thank you for your advice. For the longest time I refused to fly on American because of the nasty attitudes of their staff (angry black bitches) and how they screwed me over multiple times. You wont have any issues if your inbound flight is on time. My arrival was :06 minutes late. I live in a non hub city and the best priced and timed itineraries from PSP involve a minute connection in PHX. Terminal 5 serves as the base of operations for low-cost carrier JetBlue. American Airlines has a 25-minute minimum connection time at Austin Airport. There was always some sort of issue. Have a good trip! I would never book this, I think my average delay time on AA is >25 minutes, unless you assume your connecting flight's pushback is also subject to AA's MDT ("Minimum Delay Time") of 25 minutes. Thats a really good question that I dont know the answer to. I get that planes only make money when theyre flying, and that airlines have heavily banked hubs, and that customers want itineraries that look like they have the shortest possible travel time. There are many AA flights from JFK to LAX every day so theyll get you there without any issues no matter what. I figured I was OK because I was traveling first class, and I have global pass. I made it with a 3 minutes to spare before them closing boarding but was soaked in sweat and felt like I had fast walked a 5k. For the 2022 year, Im currently Diamond with Delta as well as Exec Plat with American. The airline knows youre arriving where and when before you do. Whats your experience? It has taken us a very long time on AA recently when you have your own device (we have a mobility scooter). It's great that mct is 25. I fly every other day some weeks and constantly lookup ticket prices. The airline may or may not provide a hotel. It lets me stretch my legs (which is good for anyone), and minimizes the chances of being among the folks running through the terminal. I am traveling via SFO end of week and wouldn't be update with a day in San Francisco. Hi Scott! The AirTrain system operates between all passenger terminals. Hi, were flying from Toronto to JFK (Feb 6, 2023) our first time to have layover in US, what do we need to provide . GRRRRRR. The connecting flight is likely going to be Delta as well if its a nonstop flight to Prague. The MCT can vary based on the airline, the airport, and whether youre making an international or domestic connection. I wasn't going to check anything because of the short connection. This problem invariably occurs because of airline instigated changes as I book months in advance. I see some other websites suggest this is the case, but your detailed description sounds like we can just walk from gate on upper level to gate on lower level. For example, American connections in Dallas are a joke -- short connection times that are always missed (at least by me, and I sit in the front of planes). In some cases, they rebook me and get me to my destination even quicker than my originally scheduled flight. (Which I'm not inherently against, though some have gotten patently ridiculous.) It can be difficult to find this information on an airline's . No earlier flights available my ass. Based on my own experience, heres how long it usually takes me to move from one terminal to the next at JFK using the AirTrain (the Airline Terminals Train): Before I started flying on a somewhat regular basis, I always overestimated how much time I would need for a connection at JFK. These are horrible. What is the minimum connection time for domestic flights at JFK? The percentage of Delta flights that have gotten to my first hip on time is easily over 90%. Id try to get a longer layover if possible, but it wont be the end of the world if you cant. And when would this occur during a connection? Youll make no friends. I also flying through Phoenix and agree with the author. No checked bags and have global entry. Your thoughts and is there any way to expedite the connection? The Fun Fact about MCT is the time is from the arrival to the actual departure time. That's sad and what's wrong with the world. Not too big of a deal if there are other frequencies later on in the day, but if that isn't the case it can be a @Nelson lucky you Fortunately based in MUC with most of my travels being intra-EU to hubs (so usually little need for connecting), but the 2 times I have connected in FRA with less than 1h in between, I have always ended up having issues and missing the connecting flight. Will that be enough time? My wife and I are TSA Pre! That means the very first stop after Terminal 1 is Terminal 8. Id rather get a plethora of connections than just a few that price me out of the market. Right across the hallway at T-20 and I was first off the plane. For layovers of under an hours the plan A is to miss the flight and the plan B is not to miss the flight. This is the first time I've EVER arrived home at a gate below 19 on AA - but I've frequently come into Gate 34 at the other end of the airport. And I'm talking as flying about an average of 400k miles a year, so yes, I have had some luck. And the terminal itself was huge to travel from one extreme concourse to another. Outside of banner ads published through the Boarding Area network, this compensation does not impact how and where products appear on this site. Find out more on gov.uk Airport Connections It will be a lot more challenging otherwise but you should still have enough time for it. Having Global Entry will make it even faster. . Apr 28, 2023, 12:18 PM. Not too big of a deal if there are other frequencies later on in the day, but if that isn't the case it can be a nightmare. Im not sure how I managed it since international arrivals and the departure gate were at opposite ends of the terminal but I did. If you miss your connection, Ive been told twice that they cannot rebook you on a new flight that flies through a different hub than your scheduled flight. Often, after booking, AA will change my outbound flights forcing a tight connection and I have to phone to change it My personal policy outbound on international itineraries is 2 hours +/- 15 minutes MCT given that my international flight, if a misconnect occurs, forces a 24 hour delay. . Of course, just as I suspected, my luggage hadn't arrived at GRU. Years ago I was coming back from Argentina to Dallas. Hi Barbara yes, you could probably take a taxi to get from one terminal to another, but it will be extremely inconvenient for them due to how short of a trip it is. If you are a frequent flyer, you know the 25 minute connection time is unrealistic. - Hadn't thought about the "trip delay" angle, but I'd be surprised if AUS expanded to over 30 gates just before Covid, and the other day, I arrived on a flight from LAX at Gate 1. Will be arriving and departing from Terminal 8 at JFK and its all part of the same ticket under AA. Itll be especially easy if you dont have to change terminals. Assuming your entire itinerary is part of the same ticket, you wont need to retrieve and re-check your luggage. Its just not worth the stress and hassle. American Airlines - John F. Kennedy International, New York (JFK) In order to use a oneworld member airline lounge, . Accra, Ghana (ACC) 3-4 Hours Before Departure - Even if not Checking Bags. The listed minimum connection time in AMS for a non-Schengen to Schengen, Delta to KLM flight is 60 minutes ( see info here ). Do we have time enough? Due to change in flight times the connection is now 3:55. The issue is with mobility . If your destination requires specific travel documents, remember to bring a completed copy with you to the airport. Yes, an hour and a half will be cutting really close even if you dont have to switch terminals. The good news is that movies and TV shows are often exaggerated. Even if you cant get all the way to the front by asking, chances are good that youll be able to move ahead far enough to make a difference. Airlines are supposed to allow a specific amount of time between connecting flights. There was a passenger in a rush to avoid missing her connection and pleaded with the lady to let her get her case and the bitch wouldn't do it so the passenger shoves her aside and grabs her suitcase and rushes off. I was just reading about the construction at JFK and possible bus service in lieu of Air Tran. I would say you could do a 25 minute connection if your flight was on time. Hi Scott And try running through Charlotte with the crowds of people who take their sweet time. I would want a minimum of 2 hours for this if it were me. I want to book a flight from MIA to Prague and there is only 46 minutes connection time in JFK. to Int. Hi Sofia if the entire itinerary can be purchased together as a single ticket, that means that the first flight will be operated by Delta (which is a partner of Air France). Wve all undoubtedly seen our favorite actors and movie stars make mad dashes through the JFK airport in a way that makes it look like hell on earth. Retrieve your luggage from the baggage carousel, Go through customs before exiting into arrivals area, Check your bags at the Delta ticket counter, Proceed through the security checkpoint to enter T4. American Airlines (AA) have given me 90mins to connect at JFK. If you read your boarding passes, boarding on most carriers ends :10 minutes before the scheduled departure. Keep in mind that just because you can book an itinerary with the minimum connection time doesnt mean that you should. However even though the plane did hit the tarmac 20 minutes early it took us all of that just to get to the arrival gate throw in the time for us to get off the plane and our 30 minute connection time dwindled to just 20 minutes with just 5 minutes to make it to our gate before they close the doors. Hi Carole if youre flying American Airlines the entire way (DFW-JFK-LHR), you wont have to switch terminals at JFK. I debated and thought well delta around 70% of the time will get to Atlanta around 30 minutes early which would bring my connection time up to 60 minutes instead of 30 minutes. Bought all the ticket with latam. I could rant all day long about American, but in the end, if I did not have status and flying for personal reasons, the cost is always the #1 factor. Flying DFW-JFK-LHR wont require going through customs / immigration. I would say you could do a 25 minute connection if your flight was on time. We are traveling to Jamaica with an hour and 15 minutes but flying delta the entire time. I have a KLM flight arriving at JFK from Amsterdam with a layover of only 1:45 before my connecting flight to Norfolk all on 1 ticket and no terminal change. I looked at map of T4 and found both gates but cant find customs at T4! Had I been 30 second later it would have been too late. Most of the international airlines which serve JFK are split between Terminals 1 and 4, though there are also some operating out of Terminals 5, 7 . I am on a Delta flight LHR-JFK arriving at 2:20. Happened to me twice and sat for an hour on the apron, The Austin airport is the most ridiculous airport I've ever been through and I've traveled for yearstheir people are NOT helpful there's no posted signs for gatesif there's a change IN GATE by the time you get to the other gate it's too late to go backwards. When we tried to request a different option she sends us off without the slightest bit of sympathy to go look for customer service desk which of course was empty. On the one hand, a 25-minute MCT in Austin seems really aggressive. Wow ! A few months back I was connecting in MCO to MIA (after being rerouted through MCO) and the inbound was late. I think KE lands in T1 and DL is in T4. I would NEVER book that. Its ridiculous. Refer to American Airlines Refunds.. If you've made a connecting stop in the previous 14 days in any country that is not on the UK approved travel corridor list, you will be required to self isolate upon your arrival to the UK. The John F Kennedy Airport is in a constant state of evolution, and a lot has changed over the years (including the elimination and combination of some terminal buildings). And if you think that's bad, let me tell you about the time AA kept us on plane on runway for hours then cancelled because I quote they were not permitting overtime for the pilots and then when I called to rebook the moron mistypes and books me for 12/26 instead of 2/26. My brother and sister in law have Global Entry. An international domestic connection (no terminal change), with checked baggage. I'm a free agent for US3 flights anymore because, well, they all generally suck for one reason or another - product, miles, whatever - and AA insists on doing this to us. Min Time at Gate Before Departure. Either you could play the 'I have a baby and I'm coming through' card or allow so much more time than you ever had considered reasonable as a singleton/couple. The connection time was 80 minutes. Despite how much I love the JFK Airport for being one of the most efficient international gateways in the world, it has its flaws. And if legaly booked you can apply for the EU261 rule and get some nice money. Home->LGA/JFK->European Home. I called up AA today because the online system said "flight change. Ive always thought that the airlines can have short MCTs if they want but then they should warn you if you try to book a really short connection and offer you a longer connection option (if you want to be more sure your travel wont be disrupted). I am a student and will have checked in baggage. Hi what about the baggage? Please view our advertising policy page for additional details about our partners. Also, if I'm going to have to have a layover I look to see what Also, if I'm going to have to have a layover I look to see what the connection time would be based on arrival/departure. I have to admit, if I can connect in MUC then I never use FRA. But what I am more worried about is whether the transfer time of 2 hours is sufficient from an overseas visitor. It's especially a problem at MIA, where they don't have elevators at every gate, so they have to take it a few gates away and then bring it from there (other airports carry it up the jetbridge stairs, it only weighs 120 pounds, and can be disassembled). We're part-time European residents and our nearest (truly) international airport is ORD. Walking isnt always possible unless youre feeling especially courageous and willing to walk through dark parking lots and sketchy garages. If We had almost the same problem with American Airlines coming from the Bahamas to Miami ! Its highly annoying and happens frequently. 45 minutes is a totally doable connection in Terminal 8 at JFK. For example, you wont have to schlep across the entire airport to transfer from one Star Alliance or Oneworld airline to another. Thank you very much for your input. Thank you! I was going from LGA to ORD with 30min connection in PHL. It's ridiculous. In that case you can only hope that they have more than one daily flight. It just leaves the front line employees there to clean up the mess I guess upper managements version of going for great / taking care of people on lifes journey is a lot different from ours. I have it, and theres only been one instance in my last few years of travel where the regular security line was faster. Years ago I was coming back from Argentina to Dallas. The agent says well next time don't book flights so close together. But then when things go even a little bit wrong, you see a half-mile long line at the customer service desks at Americans major hubs. This is the same for: - Hadn't thought about the "trip delay" angle, but I'd be surprised if there weren't people who tried that. This means that all partner airlines are grouped together in a way that makes sense. I also try to take the first flight out of any city to insure that most likely that flight will be on time and many times "early" into the arrival gate. You have to be trackstar to get around there. She cant get thru security but if we have to reclear anyways, it seems like we might have enough time to try to meet up and not feel stressed. Not very damn likely! You need to be Using Bolt to make connections in some airports! For the 2022 year, Im currently Diamond with Delta as well as Exec Plat with American. Thank you! Hi Scott, Hi. Our recommended arrival times are meant to allow plenty of time to check in (with or without bags) and clear security before scheduled departure. Regarding this topic. Afraid it will take a long time to de-plane, get luggage, go through customs, get to correct terminal, etc What do you think? Then still out of breath from running with heavy backpack with underlying asthma I sat in one of the MULTIPLE empty handicap seats nearby because I was too exhausted to go any further hoping to finally rest and catch my breath but of course the bitch decided AA hasn't ruined my day enough and comes over and tells me to vacate the seat as it's for handicap, I move to another seat and course never ever does come occupy those seats. Inbound on international itineraries into DFW I book around an hour because there are flights every hour back to my home base if I misconnect there. Will cab go from one terminal to another? I turn to the agent and say but you knew we were here because we checked in and boarded the first flight and it landed late but did arrive before this one was departing so why would you give away our seats. He doesn't say a word just starts typing away then he hands me a ticket for a flight leaving within the hour. The comments on this page have not been provided, reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any advertiser, and it is not an advertiser's responsibility to ensure posts and/or questions are answered. take your overhead into consideration. It takes at least 10 min to get anywhere on the skytrain. 2 and a half hours will be more than enough time! First off, I want to thank you for your efforts on this blog. It stinks. Could take 10 minutes, or it could take an hour. The process will go like this: Hi Scott, for DFW -JFK-AMS, will 2 Hours Before Departure. Blame the airline or the passenger but the staff pay the price. If you do, keep reading, because Im going to explain the process of making terminal to terminal transfers at the JFK airport below: The JFK Airport consists of six terminals. And you dont need to worry ahead of time about where to go and how to get there they will funnel you directly to customs and immigration right from the plane. As long as I didnt have to switch terminals, my personal minimum connection time for a domestic to international flight at JFK would be 1 hour and 10 minutes. I'm usually in the first cabin or close to the front, so that helps for sure. We're part-time European residents and our nearest (truly) international airport is ORD. I figured I was OK because I was traveling first class, and I have global pass. Its not the motherf*****r that you think it is. SANspotter.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn commissions by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. JFK minimum connection times (what you can realistically expect). MAD-JFK-CLT. I'd rather not be sitting there with blood pressure rising waiting for doors to open on the inbound flight which often takes more than 15 minutes to deplane. Hi Ludo! Agreed, they need to redo these. I had a 55 minute connection in Charlotte this week. Do you think we will have enough time to get off one flight and onto our connecting flight in 30 minutes with JetBlue? If you do end up missing the flight to LAX, theyll just put you on the next one. with their bullshit. After booking I became aware that even though we connecting at JFK and not leaving the airport we need to clear . There are always people on the flight connecting to New Orleans and almost every time we are asked to let these passengers off first because of the tight connection. Just have to get past the A.B.B. But yes. Thank you. Hey Jen Delta uses Terminal 4 at JFK (youll arrive and depart from there), so you wont have to change terminals. I'd say around 90 minutes for a connection (on the same ticket), and 180 minutes for an arrival and departure. I give up and head to my new gate where all the other passengers have already arrived and sat down and I try to ask the agent for proper boarding pass because what I was given had no seat listed and of course she gives me attitude and doesn't help. WILDCARD: if youre traveling alone and are worried about your connection, try to book a seat in the front half of the plane. Its not the 25min MCT that kills you on American. Not just the rebooking risk but that you go from seat 11F on a 321ceo to seat 32B on a 738. Editorial Disclosure: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any entity mentioned herein. No - your flights are late in the afternoon and evening. Yes it can be purchased as a single ticket and it is operated by Delta. Amazing resource and responsiveness. Hi Scott, Thanks for this review. My arrival was :06 minutes late. Just keep moving as quickly as you can and you shouldnt have any issues. check connecting times and be aware of your layover length before purchase. If the connection had to have 30 min in Austin instead of 25, you might not get that low fare you wanted. AA can do turnarounds faster than deliver mobility devices to the gate. I would only call the high A gates club closet-sized. You could probably pull it off, but I can guarantee that itll be a stressful experience. The only question is, do they have a protocol in place to alert the connecting gate agent that you're coming right off another plane, so they don't just declare you've missed the flight and close the door. How much additional time would you suggest for retrieving & re-checking a bag? I have a 2h:33m connection in JFK to my next flight, which is New York So Paulo which i am flyig LATAM. If your trying to get a plane in dallas or LA it takes more than 25 min. I suspect another consideration to MCT is the padding of schedules. But starting at BRU I don't have always the option MUC to connect. We received a message from Delta that the flight to BA is changed from When I grabbed my suitcase from the carousel due to trying to hurry, I dropped it right bellow my knee and broke my leg!!! Pay vouchers and hotel for what? I just put in my origin and my destination and then have to pick from the options offered by AA, why are you offering such short connections if it is not adequate time to connect!! Just wondering time being limited if we told someone at the terminal that we had a time issue would we have a chance of being ushered to the front? Thank you American for making me feel so miserable! Yes, because your entire itinerary is part of the same ticket, your luggage will transfer automatically (you wont have to retrieve and recheck it at JFK). So, you could get off at one gate and your connection maybe 3 or 4 gates away or right across the walkway. Why don't you ask AA for comment? I was especially upset because even though it was tagged priority, AA didnt seem to care and it came off towards the end. It's not just AA. Jet blue keeps changing our flight! On the other hand, Id probably view a 25-minute connection in Austin the same as a 40-minute connection in Dallas, in terms of risk of misconnecting. Review: The Woodward Hotel Geneva, Oetker Collection. We also have short times coming out of Roanoke VA and most flights are a terminal away in Charlotte. Though maybe it wouldnt help since the inexperienced travelers most likely to need that steer are probably booking via third party channels anyway. U.S. airlines routinely allow 30- to 40-minute connections for domestic flights. AA sold me a MCT in ORD changing to Madrid on Iberia. If, for some reason, you feel you can't make a connection within the allotted time, contact. It's not like you'd get off an AA flight and have to take the tram to another concourse for your connection. Those are also the passengers most likely to be sitting in the back of the airplane. We will have carryon nothing checked. It is based upon the amount of time to transfer bags from one plane to another! I think youll be ok, but you will have to hustle. We departed BRU with 2hrs delay due to a technical issue and once I arrived at LIS they where just starting the boarding for the LIS-GRU and I was allready out of their system to continue my flight. Great info can I ask a question Im travelling from UK (via Amsterdam) to JFK then on to Cincinnati (CVG) I do have Global entry. All 3 lines stop at all terminals, but the Airline Terminals Train is the fastest way around. The bus is likely to take longer, so adding as much time as you can for the connection is a smart move. This is one of those internal operations things that AA wouldn't actually answer because some Lean Six Sigma'd it, customers be damned, and that's just the way things are. Note that there are 3 separate AirTrain lines: the Airline Terminals Train, the Jamaica Station Train, and the Howard Beach Train. Nos ha pasado 2 veces viajando desde Orlando hacia Bogota. Note to American (and all other) hiring managers: Angry black bitches who hate everyone and everything do NOT belong in customer service roles. Its an interesting one. There are two ways of transferring between terminals: Between all other Terminals: Take the AirTrain. I haven't checked lately but LAX used to have a very low MCT for flights at the Eagles Nest. We all made the connection!! Customs and immigration lines can get long, so I would want a minimum of 2 and half hours. Can you reach out to them to comment on these absurdly low connection times? 2. So technically, no. You have successfully joined our subscriber list. As the name suggests, this is the minimum amount of time that you need to plan for a connection at an airport, as an airline wont sell you a shorter connection than that. Inexperienced flyers don't look closely at the connection time and book the flight. Theres no need to add to the stress by having short connection time. Not having checked luggage will make it a lot easier for sure. No problem! I had a carry on roller suitcase and a large personal bag. There's nothing to "believe" about Pre Check. This is the first time I've EVER arrived home at a gate below 19 on AA - but I've frequently come into Gate 34 at the other end of the airport. They will more likely be paging you a final boarding call that you hear as youre walking up to your connecting gate. AA seems to do this quite a bit everywhere with RJ's which is kind of interesting since stepping off the jet time is replaced by waiting for your valet bag, unless you were smart enough to check it through and let it be ramp transferred from tail to tail. NC JFK flight is owned by AA but operated by Republic Airways and JFK LHR is BA. Recently, I had a :36 minute connection time at LAX - :26 minutes if you factor when boarding ends. On the app it says check in and clear security at jfk but would we need to coming from Portland maine ? I was going from LGA to ORD with 30min connection in PHL. To make it worse, we were a couple of minutes early, and then had to wait 5 minutes for them to put a jet way on and open the door, giving her only 20 minutes, and we were around row 17..really absurd policy. One of my regular flights is LAX to Austin. Also if I did miss the connecting flight would AA get me on the next available one as they are who the tickets are booked under via the travel agent? Landing from Milan at JFK at 6:55pm; I want to book a flight from JFK to Miami (final destination) thats at 8:30pm.is that cutting it way too close?? Have a great trip! Layover in NY is 1 hour 57 mins . Ben, I agree. Save. At San Francisco's SFO, some airlines still schedule minimum connection times as short as 30 minutes. However, it can take as long as 3 hours if you're coming off an international flight and you need to do a terminal change in order to make your connection. Even not having to switch terminals when going from an international flight to a domestic flight at JFK is going to take a bit of time. Re: American Airlines with a short connection time 5 years ago Save Nope.