He added, They would always judge me. Possibly about a man trying to prevent World War 3 through time travel and rebirth. I guess I was protecting myself., Your email address will not be published. Christopher, the director of the film, was more than impressed by his choice of the actor as he was full of appreciation for John after the film was released. Where it goes from here is an open question. Granted, the movie didnt remotely over-perform as Id argue it did last week overseas, but the hope is that theaters, including domestic theaters which have to keep Tenet on their biggest non-IMAX Thats why cinema can never die, and why the moviegoing experience should live on.". NOW WATCH: The New York Times just released its annual '52 Places to Go' list here's why Washington, DC got the No. As an international man of mystery must have, he has different aliases, he has different personalities. What did Chris call you on set? The BlacKkKlansman Star, John David has played in the HBO comedy series: Ballers which has continued for four seasons. No, he'd say, [prim British voice] "John David". Thats far below expectations in a normal summer, but the idea of people experiencing a movie filmed with IMAX cameras on their couch, or worse yet, laptops and phones, is likely director Christopher Nolans greatest nightmarethrough his persistence, the film is finally in theaters where they are open. You will never hear them say this about Drew Barrymore, Angelina Jolie, or Gwyneth Paltrow., One more user expressed that Tenets writing and directing was horrible and all over the place. I can explain my character and his relationship to inversion and reverse entropy in temporal pincer movements. Fans of actor John David Washington came to his defense after a freelance writer negatively critiqued his acting skills. "Ballers" ran from 2015 to 2019, and John David won plaudits for his performance as Ricky Jerret, a controversial but talented wide receiver. . If you haven't seen 'Tenet', you've still probably heard a few things about Christopher Nolan's much-anticipated eleventh movie. Thats about as well/badly as it might have held up under normal circumstances, meaning that the whole new normal optimism about legs isnt remotely guaranteed. Clearly, the apple hadn't fallen far from the Denzel tree, and much like Dakota Johnson, Drew Barrymore, or other stars born into Hollywood royalty, the actor is now swiftly scene-stealing his way to becoming a household name. Have you guys had conversations? The movie is packed with complex scientific ideas and non-linear plotting that challenges viewers to keep up, and that was just as true for its cast. Christopher knows my name.". This was followed by spells at the Sacramento Mountain Lions in the United Football League, and some time in Europe with the German outfit, Rhein Fire. All the Under-$20 Style, Tech, and Home Goods We're Feeling This May, 62 Excellent Gift Ideas to Spoil All the Deserving Guys Out There, Martin Scorsese Praises Ari Aster As One of the Most Extraordinary New Voices in Cinema, This Is David Granns Next Big Adventure Story, 15 Luxury Sex Toys To Get You Off With Grandeur. John David Washington has a net worth of$6 million. Sign up for notifications from Insider! He was eventually drafted by the UFL's California Redwoods, which later became the Sacramento Mountain Lions after moving to Sacramento. The actor won the IMDb STARmeter Awards as a breakout star in 2018. container: 'taboola-below-article-thumbnails-2nd', Well, I'm glad you said that and I honestlyI couldn't think that way going in, I think that's just adding a little more pressure that I didn't need. He has always worked hard in whatever field he chose. But that all went out the window in 2013 when he suffered an Achilles injury. How much did it earn over its Fri-Sun debut in China? Access your favorite topics in a personalized feed while you're on the go. ConsideringTenetwas made on a staggering $200 budget, there's no question Washington made off with a solid paycheck. There were a couple of names. That said, to date, John David Washington's net worth is$6 million. There was one case while we filmed, it was safe, everything was done correctly, efficiently. By clicking Sign up, you agree to receive marketing emails from Insider John David Washington is Christopher Nolan's leading man in "Tenet," but the 36-year-old has had a most unconventional start to his acting career. There's a respect there. Something that I've never done before, something very challenging as an artist. While critics mostly liked it (the movie has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 71) some have called the film a fully joyless affair, bare of feeling and undeniably baffling, but writer and podcaster Sam Adler Bell took to Twitter to unload about another issue he had with the movie. I think the tears represented what I wanted my whole life. Possibly about a man trying to prevent World War 3 through time travel and rebirth. The 34-year-old, JohnDavid has excellent success in his latest movie; Spike Lees BlacKkKlansman. Temporal pincer movements, points of entropyevery time I see it I get a better understanding of what Chris did as a whole. Learn how your comment data is processed. The actor was formerly a football player, and he was perfect and passionate about his profession. Required fields are marked *. What is Tenet about? But that people feel that way, especially if you look like us, then that's only a bonus, that's a positive. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Let JDW work his connections and live his best life, stop hating., All of this! one user said. With Tenet, Nolan is essentially modernizing the 007 formula, but avoiding the darker intensity of Daniel Craig's era. John David Washington was born on July 28, 1984 in Los Angeles, California as the eldest of four children of actor Denzel Washington and actress and singer Pauletta Washington. John David Washington is an American actor, producer, and former professional football player. They really are. After having a quite successful and enriching time in the sports industry, he shifted his career towards the entertainment industry. Yeah. John David Washington was born on July 28, 1984. John David Washington and Robert Pattinson in. Opening in 2,810 American theaters, including some in California, Tenet grossed $20.2 million over its Thurs-Mon Labor Day weekend. "I think what this character is dealing with is the rediscovery of self.". Now that the blockbuster is finally released in theaters, its star talks about working with Christopher Nolan, whether he can explain the plot, and his next project with Zendaya. He played college football at Morehouse College and signed with the St. Louis Rams as an undrafted free agent in 2006. Moreover, unlike essentially every other territory around the world, Tenet has major competition in the form of the local mega-hit The Eight Hundred (which topped the Chinese box office with. Since 1957, GQ has inspired men to look sharper and live smarter with its unparalleled coverage of style, culture, and beyond. By taking the pill, he passed. Wayfair Huge Deal-A-Thon - Up to 60% off everything! The footballer signed with the Team on August. He was just as warm and welcoming and friendly as one could ask. . Apply Bed Bath and Beyond Coupon and save 25% Off your entire purchase, Target Circle: up to 50% Off with Target promo code, Shop the new Polo Ralph Lauren x ASOS Exclusive Collection from $99, Michael Kors Promo Code: sign up for KORSVIP + Get 10% Off on first order, 2023 Cond Nast. RT @NolanAnalyst: Ludwig Gransson and John David Washington on the set of Tenet (2020) 28 Apr 2023 16:01:05 Nonetheless, studios usually only get back around 25% of the ticket price from China, so this was more about a sexier global total than hard revenue. In 2020, he starred in Christopher Nolan's science fiction action-thriller film Tenet, for which he won the Saturn Award for Best Actor. Back in September, when Tenet was something of a test balloon as one of the few movies being released in theaters, Washington reflected on the necessity of cinema. He is popular among his fan, mainly because of his outstanding role in the science fiction action-thriller film, Tenet by Christopher Nolan. Scripts like this, they're rare. To look at John David Washington's 2020 is to study what it is to be a working actor in a time of COVID. To be precise, John had already debuted in the industry when he was seven years old. When provided, we also incorporate private tips and feedback received from the celebrities or their representatives. We are sure, John David Washington must have earned a lot from his profession as an American footballer. The son of Denzel Washington, John David Washington originally set out to play pro football, and he did so, playing on the St. Louis Rams, Europe's Rhein Fire, and the Sacramento Mountain Lions. All rights reserved. After seeing Washington's performance in "BlacKkKlansman," filmmaker Christopher Nolan was so impressed that he chose the actor to star in his next project, the 2020 science-fiction spy film "Tenet." But you went wry, which I imagine is tougher. Think Beverly Hills Cop ($235 million from a $15.2 million debut), Ghostbusters ($220 million/$13.5 million) and Back to the Future ($210 million/$11.1 million). He is listed as a co-producer on IMDb. They recruited himafterthey saw himplaying for his college. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". The industry lost a titan a couple of weeks ago in Chadwick Boseman. }); window._taboola = window._taboola || []; The film stars Azealia Banks, Common, Lucien Laviscount, Jill Scott, and Lorraine Toussaint, among others. Menu. She loves owls, hates cilantro, and can find the queer subtext in literally anything. He has earned most of his fortune from his career as an actor and a former American footballer. Underrated problem with TENET: John David Washington is a very bad actor, he wrote. Though Washington has his own pad in Brooklyn, N.Y., he saved some pennies. Did he just yell Protagonist at you all the time? ", John David is one of the Harlem school children. Its just one example of how history was supposed to be made (In the Heights, Wonder Woman 1984, Mulan, Black Widow, F9) in terms of who can headline a mega-blockbuster. John David Washington has a net worth of $6 million. To revisit this article, select My Account, thenView saved stories. He was the face of one of the biggest franchises of all time, playing some iconic roles. Atlanta Black Star is a narrative company. However, it would take almost two decades, and a short stint in the NFL, until John David would pick up his next acting credit. Later, he was signed as an undrafted free agent by the St. Louis Rams. Understanding the Horse-Human Bond: Horse Trainer William Motts Insight. And he has had a fascinating road to stardom. I had pressure already. John David Washington in Tenet, 2020. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. Those of you who didn't get to the movie theater to see .css-umdwtv{-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;text-decoration-thickness:.0625rem;text-decoration-color:#FF3A30;text-underline-offset:0.25rem;color:inherit;-webkit-transition:background 0.4s;transition:background 0.4s;background:linear-gradient(#ffffff, #ffffff 50%, #d5dbe3 50%, #d5dbe3);-webkit-background-size:100% 200%;background-size:100% 200%;}.css-umdwtv:hover{color:#000000;text-decoration-color:border-link-body-hover;-webkit-background-position:100% 100%;background-position:100% 100%;}Tenet this summer, have probably still heard a few things about Christopher Nolan's much-anticipated eleventh movie. As an adult, Washington gave his first film performance in the 2017 musical drama "Love Beats Rhymes," directed by rapper RZA. The film won a ton of acclaim and awards. In creating that backstory, Washington latched onto one key plot point: early in the movie, The Protagonist takes a cyanide pill after being captured, opting to kill himself rather than give up his fellow agents. After graduating in 2002, he attended Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia. Submit a correction suggestion and help us fix it! "I held it together until I got in the car, then I cried like a baby. Besides, he's only recently gotten started. I'm a huge fan of Euphoria, so I was able to shoot something very quietly with them that I'm very proud of. It would be nice if we could hear the dialogue. In the former, Washington starred as police officer Dennis Williams, while in the latter, he played the supporting role of Richard "Bobo" Evans. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. GQ may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. I felt like there was no way people would take me seriously, even if I was good, the actor expressed. Tenet (2020) African-American Film Critics Association (AAFCA) 2018 Winner AAFCA Award: Best Actor BlacKkKlansman (2018) Awards Circuit Community Awards. container: 'taboola-right-rail-thumbnails', So I hid who my father was. One user wrote, White mediocre actors use nepotism to have a career all the time. When it comes to Christopher Nolan's ambitious sci-fi movie Tenet, John David Washington not only serves as the lead but his character is literally named The Protagonist. Tenet is a big moment for you. He's the one true king T'Challa, Chadwick Boseman. While we work diligently to ensure that our numbers are as accurate as possible, unless otherwise indicated they are only estimates. Here, lead actor John David Washington . I wanted to play a human being, I wanted to represent those men and women that are in the CIA, Navy Seals and those industries. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Tenet (2020) - 70%. Now that the movies out, hes ready to exhale. And whether we judge Warner Bros. and Disney for not just waiting for safer waters, it is damn unfortunate that the biggest-budgeted movies ever starring non-white leads (both Tenet and Mulan cost around $200 million) are both being released during turbulent times and in unconventional manners which will almost certain color the nature of their overall commercial outcome. There's indie, and then there's, you know what? Washington is currently starring in the blockbuster movie Tenet, which made headlines for its mind-bending plot and lackluster box office numbers. Why Taylor Swift and Margot Robbie Could Solve an 'Amsterdam'-Style Mystery, Why Zendaya and John David Washington Upped Their Games on 'Malcolm & Marie', 'Tenet' Fan Theories: What We Got Right (and Wrong), IMDbrief: Golden Globes 2019 Snubs & Surprises, Best of the IMDberet Answers From Cannes Stars, Spike Lee, John David Washington and Laura Harrier Dissect 'BlacKkKlansman'. But overall, nah. }); window._taboola = window._taboola || []; Absolutely. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". I don't want to give too much away, but shout out to our incredible producers, Ashley Levinson and Katia Elizabeth Washington, who are responsible for our protocols and safety. One of the revelers on the Croisette that night was Christopher Nolan. After his blockbuster film, BlacKkKlansman, he did not have to look back in life as it brought him other projects too. It is quite huge in numbers. Washington's role presented an unusual challenge, in that he is a cipher by designit's no coincidence that his name is simply The Protagonist. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. Tell me why Tenet needs to be seen on the big screen? From Humble Beginnings to Millions: Shug McGaugheys Net Worth Journey, A Look Inside the Life of Anna Hall and Her Family, John David Was A Former American Footballer. Those are the kind of challenges that you look for. 'Just get up, look at the camera, say the line.' (Photo by Stephane Cardinale - Corbis/Corbis via Getty Images) The movie has so far has grossed $350 million worldwide, but with a budget exceeding $200 million director Chrstopher Nolan and Warner. Everett Collection / Courtesy of Warner Bros. Culture. Find out after the jump how much John David Washington is worth today. It's not over until it's given to the people, and he lets that settle in for a while. But it felt personal because he was literally standing next to [me] on the poster. It could be better (4.5x = $540 million) or worse (3x = $360 million), but its still alive and at least somewhat well. It is pretty natural to realize what one is meant for in his or her late years. The guys on my Mount Rushmore really are giving me the confidence and making me sure of myself with every decision and my entire process. screen for (depending on the size of the theaters) four-to-twelve weeks, will benefit from audiences checking out the movie at a slower pace than whats been accustomed in our frontloaded moviegoing environment. Washington gained his greatest recognition later in the year for his performance in Spike Lee's biographical drama "BlacKkKlansman." GQ: How long did it take you to fully understand what happens in this movie? John David is one of the Harlem school children who shout, "I'm Malcolm X" at the end of the film. The New Mutants dropped 58% in America, from a poor $7 million opening last week. John. If it adds another $14 million from upcoming territorial debuts and quadruples that global opening, which may be overly optimistic (itll be lucky to clear $60 million in China), itll end with around $480 million worldwide. Since the Chinese film marketplace is almost back to normal, there was a hope that Nolans fan base would goose the totals in a key overseas territory as a safety net for under-performances elsewhere. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. "It excited me that there was very little information about him, because that means we got to build from scratch and develop him together, Christopher and I," he explained. "I was there to 'catch' all four of my children," Denzel said in 2008 during a chat with Katia's fellow Yale classmates. He subsequently signed with the St. Louis Rams as a free agent. The actor and former football player is not very public about his relationships but still he revealed that he has dated two people in his past. John David Washington (born July 28, 1984) is an American actor and former professional football player. After suffering a serious Achilles injury right before a try-out with the New York Giants in 2013, John David returned to his childhood dream of acting. John David Washington is an American actor, producer, and former professional football player. The movies dialogue is so damn hard to hear/understand (as was the case in my IMAX showing in Vegas this past Monday) that it almost makes sense to wait for Blu-ray with subtitles. John's estimated net worth is $10 Million as of January 2023. ", However, this hasn't been ideal for Washington's co-star, Robert Pattinson, who told the Irish Times that he could hardly keep up with John David during physically demanding scenes. lifelong friend Samuel L. Jackson asked Washington onJimmy Kimmel Livein September 2020. Did you have some anxiety over possibly having that moment denied? Tenet opened with $20 million in America. It was very proper. He rushed for more than 3,500 yards at Morehouse College in the 2000s and was an NFL running back with the Rams for a spell. In his acting debut, he earnedmany awardssuch asScreen Actors Guild Award, Independent Spirit Award and Satellite Award for Best Actor in BlacKkKansman. "I think thats what this character is dealing with, is the rediscovery of self. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Copyright 2018-2023, All Rights Reserved Super Stars Bio. As for Washingtons football career, he continued it in Morehouse College. It was in 2018, however, that Washington had his breakthrough year on the big screen, appearing in a total of four films. He did briefly step back into the family biz. The 36-year-old actor took on the role of Ron Stallworth, the first Africa American detective in the Colorado Springs police department who, in the early 1970s, went undercover with his white partner played by Adam Driver to infiltrate the Klu Klux Klan. Spike Lee received his first competitive Oscar (Best adapted screenplay), and John David earned his first acting nomination at the Golden Globes. Twins Olivia and Malcolm were born in 1991. It has a plethora of action sequences that he's taken the lead in. The much-discussed Chris Nolan sci-fi actioner opened at the lower end of expectations in America and China but held strong in the territories in which it opened last week.