Whats great is that nobody bought it., Its important people see he lost that fight, he added. All of that is edited out. Each week host Jeff Probst will answer a few questions about the most recent episode of Survivor: Game Changers. Editing connected dots that weren't connected in reality in that moment, and I get why they did that and had to do that. I get it. It was confirmed for me in watching the show. Jeff Varner is a former American real estate agent and television personality who has worked as a news anchor and reporter, an entertainment reporter, and a contestant on three seasons of the CBS reality television series Survivor: The Australian Outback, Survivor: Cambodia, and Survivor: Game Changers. I'm not angry at that. What this has done is unleash a conversation that will hopefully be good for all of us and lead us in a great direction. He went to Southern Guilford High School, where he was involved in student government and theatre arts, as well as the yearbook editor; he later earned a journalism degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. How will you play differently this time? Im not knocking him., It has nothing to do with the game! cried Boehlke. What just happened on Survivor tonight is 100% bull shit. I feel horrible., Soon enough, Varner started crying as the gravity of his actions hit him: Im shocked, he said. He is an avid rollerblader, spending many afternoons skating through Manhattan's busy streets. My conscience is in pain. Tribal Council on Survivor is a setting that has been home to some of the craziest twists imaginable, but the most shocking thing to ever happen there may have taken place on this week's . However, a second Tribe Switch relegated him to the bottom with Sandra, and after her departure, Jeff scrambled to stay alive, but took it too far by revealing sensitive information about Zeke Smith at Tribal Council. Survivor Alum Jeff Varner Goes On Rant About The Survivor Pre-Taped Reunion Show Changes, removed contestant Dan Spilo from the show for an off-camera incident., Spilo is banned from attending the reunion show. Currently, he is researching burn trauma organizations for kids with the hope of making a difference. Survivor airs Wednesdays (at 8 p.m. Sandra told me that he showed up to the airport carrying a bible. Tonight, on CBSSurvivor, Dan Spilo was kicked off the show for, once again, inappropriate touching. Varner eventually recognized that what he did was wrong, but it didnt really matter at that point. YouTube A huge mistake. I deserve it. That's the hardest part for me to swallow today. #sexnotgender. The castaways colored in the books and signed their autographs in them, and he sold the pictures on eBay after the show to raise money for charities. However, he revealed at the reunion that he got hired at a new real estate agency. if (d.getElementById(id)) return; When Ta Keo lost again, the alliance split their votes between Shirin and Spencer, and Shirin was voted out. Thats personal you didnt have to do that! said Andrea Boehlke, starting to tear up. Varner and Diaz-Twine stayed on Nuku after the second tribe switch, but were left out of the alliance formed by newcomers Ozzy Lusth, Andrea Boehlke, Tai Trang, Sarah Lacina, and Zeke Smith. Thats personal!, Varner attempted to defend himself, claiming that he argues for the rights of transgender people every day in the state of North Carolina and would never say or do anything to hurt anyone here., Outing somebody you just outed him! shouted Trang in outrage. When Nuku lost immunity again, Jeff tried to convince Zeke again to get rid of Ozzy, but Zeke was conflicted due to his strategy of keeping larger targets in the game as shields. He likes all kinds of music, especially that which motivates. It's just been so difficult. When we do that, we stigmatize them. American reality television contestant, real estate agent and news anchor, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, "Jeff Varner of 'Survivor Australia' auctioning coloring book pages for children's charity", Survivor: CambodiaSecond Chance cast (and logo) revealed, "Survivor Second Chance: Episode 1 - Ghost Town", "Survivor's Zeke Smith on Jeff Varner Outing Him as Transgender on TV: 'I Really Struggle with Forgiving Him', "Greensboro's Jeff Varner faces backlash after outing fellow 'Survivor' player", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jeff_Varner&oldid=1151912285, Survivor (American TV series) contestants, UNC Hussman School of Journalism and Media alumni, Articles with unsourced statements from April 2017, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 27 April 2023, at 00:55. Every single person at Tribal stood up and hugged me. The Survivor: Island of the Idols finale and reunion airs on CBS Wednesday, December 18, from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. At the fifth Tribal Council, Varner joined Diaz-Twine and Bradshaw in blindsiding Thomas. Prior employment includes work as a website producer, graphic designer and marketing manager for various companies. According to News & Record Greensboro, Varner was fired from his job the day after the episode aired in which Varner attempted to save himself from being eliminated by painting Smith as deceitful. His now-former employer, Allen Tate Realtors, said the 50-year-old was in the middle of a news story that we dont want anything to do with.. Debbie Wanner, who had recently been exiled, took her place on Nuku. He did, however, reveal at the reunion that he had been hired by a new real estate agency. If you dont remember, it happened at the final pre-merge Tribal Council. We have to acknowledge their humanity. Instagram: biographyscoop. They joined Nuku member J.T. We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. Hometown: Greensboro, NC[2], Age: 50 The Rhode Island natives arrogant gameplay earned him a bad reputation among Survivor fans. Just grab your torch.. When we're laying on the beach talking, he was lying to me about what they were doing. Angkor's continued living in squalor continued to take its toll on the tribe, resulting in a complete collapse at the Day 11 Immunity Challenge. He has an estimated net worth of $5 Million. [6] It was revealed that Varner had been part of a pre-game alliance prior to the start of filming, with three other players: Terry Deitz and Shane Powers of Survivor: Panama, and Kelly Wiglesworth of Survivor: Borneo. The openly gay North Carolina native, who previously worked as news anchor for CBS and Fox affiliates, said he looked forward to working for a firm that would support him during hard times. [1], Name: Jeff Varner He played right defense for a team in the local youth hockey league, and earned his black belt in Tae Kwon Do at the age of 15. On February 8, 2017, it was revealed that Varner was one of 20 contestants who would be competing on Survivor: Game Changers, the show's 34th season. So pissed. I deserve every bit of it. Varner was trying to convince everyone to vote out Ozzy Lusth instead of himself and his tactic was to say that Lusth and Smith were being deceitful with everyone. According to Us Weekly, Richard was sentenced to 51 months in federal prison for failing to pay taxes in 2006. I support you., Jeff, you cant unring the bell, said Probst. When Mana lost the first two Immunity Challenges, he joined the majority in voting out Ciera Eastin and Tony Vlachos respectively. After nearly 15 years, Jeff returned to Cambodia playing a much more aggressive game, quickly adapting to the erratic and impulsive gameplay of the modern Survivor. Varner obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. . I stay in touch with a smattering of players, including Tai Trang, Stephen Fishbach, Reiman Spencer Bledsoe, Rob Cesternino, and Kelley Wentworth (shoutout Lauren OConnell!). CBS andSurvivorwere on notice of Dans behavior from the very first days of the game. I'll be much more useful at challenges and intend to be more instrumental around camp. In the game, no matter where I was, talking strategy with everybody, Zeke was always popping up. I give him every inch of every room to feel and experience what hes feeling. In the Drop Your Buffs interview, Richard didnt hold back his disdain for Jeff, telling Sean and Evan, Jeff Probst is horrendous as a human being. So Im talking to several firms now that I know will care about and believe in their employees. I hurt those who love him. About to climb the walls, Jeff, 53, wrote on Facebook after the shows Wednesday episode aired. The tribe took a verbal vote and Varner was unanimously sent packing. Varner, meanwhile, took to Twitter on Wednesday evening to issue a lengthy apology. I plan to align myself with the big threats. Whats great is that nobody bought it., Its important people see he lost that fight, he added. CBS Rant over. You don't really get it. Varner also mentions this in the episode where he was voted off, early in the episode while the Kucha tribe is talking in their shelter at night. I love love love the game, but I despise whats happening to it, he said. While Oskooi doesnt specify what she is referring to, it is most likely what castaway Jeff Varner did on the third time he played the game. Jeff told Us Weekly in January 2020 that these incidents impacted his decision to not cast Richard on Winners at War., Given his history on our show, it did not seem appropriate, he told the publication. Put a Ring On It! Jeff has not responded to Richards claim. Our leaders are trying to erase trans people from society. He is now working for WWMT in Kalamazoo, Michigan as a News Anchor for the News Channel 3 morning news.Jeff was promoted November 27, 2008 to WWMT evening anchor. Varner has been a fill-in host for Live with Regis and Kelly and also worked for many years as morning anchor at WWMT Channel 3 in Kalamazoo, MI before being promoted to main anchor. Cowards. What I did that night was horrible. Twitter: @BiographyScoop Its so painful to see what is happening with this show. I'm not that horrible person so many are trying to paint me to be today. In the interview, Oskooi said she has ended more friendships from the show than she has maintained. Survivor alum Richard Hatch recently shared his opinion on Jeff Probst and Survivor 41 on the Drop Your Buffs podcast. Jeff found himself on the new Angkor tribe with Abi-Maria, Peih-Gee, and Woo Hwang, which held the majority over original Bayon members Andrew Savage and Tasha Fox. I'd love to make the Jury finally, but if I don't, I want to make sure I've soaked it all up in a way that it's okay.[3]. I know what happened. This resulted in a deadlock between Jeff and Colby Donaldson at Tribal Council, which saw Jeff eliminated when the tiebreaker took into account previous votes. However, this backfired as it became evident that Smith had never revealed his being transgender publicly. I couldn't even think about me and my life for months after it was over with. The message should be clear that hate will always lose.. An extensive genealogical search discovered that Varner and Edward R. Murrow are related by marriage on Murrow's mother's side of the tree. It's just horrible. I hate that I'm a tool some of them will use. Tribal Council S34E06 (1 of 4) Survivor: Game Changers, Jeff Varner outs Zeke, Please support me by installing my Puzzles from Survivor app: apps.apple.com/us/app/puzzle-cluster/id1460284314 Alliance Tracker for Survivor app: apps.apple.com/us/app/alliance-tracker-for-survivor/id1486051580 #Survivor #SuvivorSuperFan #SurvivorGeek Twitter: twitter.com/rrTenz survivor.fandom.com/wiki/What_Happened_on_Exile,_Stays_on_Exile Day 18 I don't want to lose Ozzy, because the way I've set it up is to have bigger threats out there than myself. Although Varner initially planned to simply stay with his former Ta Keo allies, Fox suddenly realized this was his plan after they lost the immunity challenge and called Varner "a rat" in front of the other tribes. & Aubry who targeted Michaela and Michaela & Sandra who targeted J.T.. We push them back into a closet. Survivor alum Jeff Varner aired his grievances with CBS on social media on Wednesday, December 11, following the network's announcement that the reunion for Survivor: Island of the Idols will be . Suddenly my real estate license was inactive and my current clients [were] left in the dark. We dont need to vote, hostJeff Probstsaid at the time. Ugh. Survivor 40, commonly referred to as Winners at War, featured several previous winners, but Richard Hatch was noticeably absent. A Twitter user responded to Varners tweet saying he shouldnt get to weigh in on the controversy, and Varner went off once again about the scandal. Its so painful to see what is happening with this show. In April 2017, Jeff spoke to Entertainment Weekly about season 34 contestant Jeff Varner outing Zeke Smith as transgender. It was hard to watch. In the real estate world, buyers and sellers want to know theyre signing up with a company that wont dump them or turn their backs on them in time of trial. He said lots of things and did different things, and I had inklings, and I suspected it very early on for various reasons. Survivor airs Wednesdays (8 p.m. Jeffrey Keith Varner (born April 16, 1966) [1] is a former American real estate agent and television personality, a news anchor and reporter, a former entertainment reporter, and a contestant on three seasons of the CBS reality television series, Survivor: The Australian Outback, Survivor: Cambodia, and Survivor: Game Changers. Jeff Probst spoke to Us Weekly in January 2020 about Richards absence. VisitGLAAD.org to read their transgender FAQ, tips onhow to be an ally to the transgender community, and more. I'm honored to be part of this cast and aware this could be the last time I'm ever on a Survivor island, so I want to soak up the surroundings, beauty, and energy of being part of this landmark series. It heightened my inspection of him. I asked, "Who are you? Editing doesn't help me in that arena, and that's unfortunate. Everyone was horrified at what he did Andrea Boehlke started crying, Tai Trang and Debbie Wanner started yelling at Varner, and even Jeff Probst was visibly upset at what had happened. His friends have harassed me all night long. Varners luxury item on the show was a coloring book and a set of crayons. He's continued to forgive me. Varner: (Long pause.) That's the best I can deal with. When Kim learned about his removal from the show, she shared a statement on Twitter. Enjoy reading!! However, Angkor was sent to live in hardship, being forced to live in a new camp without the any of the supplies that the two original tribes acquired during the marooning. It's very difficult to live with. After an informal public vote, Jeff Probst snuffed Jeff Varner's torch, ending the Season 2 and Season 31 veteran's third (and presumably final) stint on Survivor. I know what happened that got him removed and Im telling you, 100% horse st. What, if anything, do you most regret? Varner tried to persuade Lacina, Wanner, and Boehlke to vote out Lusth before the final pre-merge Tribal Council by claiming that Smith was deceiving the tribe about his relationship with Lusth. "I'm arguing for my life," he proclaimed. When asked by a cohost if we will see Edge of Extinction again, Probst responds, "Yes, absolutely. [I warned the company that headlines might be coming], but apparently not the people who needed to hear it.. I have so much to say and am fuming right now. Everybody has their own personal journey. Theyre not going to allow them near a live mic. In Game Changers, Jeff aligned with Michaela Bradshaw and Sandra Diaz-Twine early on, with the alliance taking control of the Mana and Nuku tribes. Previously played on: Jeff Varner (Jeffrey Keith Varner) was born on 16 April, 1966 in Greensboro, North Carolina, United States. #Survivor.. And, asSurvivorfans know, shortly after I spoke up on camera, I was voted off the show, Kim added. However, his loyalty to the group did not last as he saw how hard Shirin Oskooi and Spencer Bledsoe were playing, so he worked on turning the tribe against them. Sends us all back 20 years. Jeff is the only contestant to be eliminated pre-jury on their first two seasons, and return for a third season. I hope America sees that. He is most proud of successfully making the transition from small town living to the much faster pace of a big city. I made a mistake. Season 2: Australia, Finished 10th out of 16 & Non-Jury He also criticized Jeff for being fake. In the season 41 premiere, Jeff asked the cast if they were comfortable with him using the phrase come on in, guys given shifting gender norms in society. There were things that were edited out that would have explained things a bit better. It was the Survivor moment fans will never forget -- and one that Zeke Smith and Jeff Varner rehashed on Wednesday's three-hour finale. Ugh. That didn't make the editing. js.src = '//cdn4.wibbitz.com/static.js'; I didn't know who Zeke was. That is a giant leap of logic., RELATED VIDEO: Zeke Smith on Jeff Varner Outing Him as Transgender on TV I Really Struggle With Forgiving Him, At that point, Varner began to backtrack: Im just trying everything that I can, he said. He was assigned to the Mana tribe at first. I know what happened. Seeing that Jeff's actions would clearly lead to his elimination, Probst took an open roll call from all of the players, then had Varner eliminated without a formal vote. Survivors host Probst toldEntertainment Weeklythat he could not comment about Spilos removal or any details out of respect for privacy and confidentiality. The host did share that Spilo was not happy about the decision, but latercalmed down and was actually very respectful about it. It took me a minute. Make your predictions and compete to win prizes and glory predicting all aspects of Hollywood competition. And hes calling me a bigot and full of hate and all kinds of stuff. I want strong relationships when this is over, but already have a host of great friends. However, after a tribal swap and expansion turned the two tribes into three, Varner and Law ended up on the brand new Angkor tribe, along with fellow former Ta Keo members Yung "Woo" Hwang and Abi-Maria Gomes, and two new members from the former Bayon tribe, Latasha "Tasha" Fox and Andrew Savage. ET. Russell was working to deceive people. Born and raised in Greensboro, North Carolina, Varner currently lives in Manhattan, New York. Many folks will be less enthused to hear his defense of the Edge of Extinction twist that allowed players to be voted out of the game, befriend the jury, and then come back to win. Click here to make sure you don't miss a single story, and click here to revisit our massive preseason coverage. https://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/20787/, https://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/215113/, https://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/215595/, https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.tv.survivor/U3zsup_1rpM, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKhBeaD2qy4, https://youtu.be/jseHkf5ls8g?list=PLbkYrk13yG1TU9gBySyoJOKUI8HddwNoB, https://twitter.com/OgdenDiane/status/644645689369186304, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJQ36WsW6O0, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io91MKjtoZM, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1hLnSKt4-M, http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/jeff-varner-joins-wnct-as-evening-anchor/64666, http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/former-survivor-contestant-jeff-varner-out-at-wnct/130901, http://www.thetvjunkies.com/survivors-jeff-varner-interview/, http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/gotriad_extra/greensboro-s-jeff-varner-faces-backlash-after-outing-fellow-survivor/article_1d75e724-08cc-5fbb-826f-72e6ac9ecaa3.html, http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/jeff-varner-of-survivor-australia-auctioning-coloring-book-pages-for-children-charity-814.php, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifMToVaAAPw, http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-31-2015-second-chances-kimmi-kappenberg-interview/, "Survivor: CambodiaSecond Chance players reveal who they are surprised did NOT make the cast", http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/26/survivor-cambodia-second-chance-cast-video-shane-powers, Contestants Appearing in Multiple Seasons, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, On May 17, 2001, Jeff appeared as an panelist on, In 2003, Jeff was one of several castaways who appeared on, Jeff worked as an entertainment reporter for KCBS in Los Angeles, CA then, Jeff began his career in communications as a public relations assistant and corporate communications manager for Citicorp in New York City. I wasnt even given the chance to explain or right the wrong, Varner said. That prepared reunion is cowardice. For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews Subscribe on YouTube! I know that forgiveness is difficult. Richard appeared on season 1 of Survivor, where he was crowned the shows first winner. Cowards., Jeff is no stranger to Survivor controversy. I don't know who's gotten in his ear, but he's in a different place today and I respect that. By clicking Sign Up, you agree to our Terms and Conditions and that you have read our Privacy Policy. I have so much to say and am fuming right now. When Nuku lost, Jeff was confident that Tai was going home. What are you most proud of from the last time? That reasoning is infinitely worse than him outing me because its the same one used to discriminate against, attack and murder trans people. She was replaced on Nuku by the recently-exiled Debbie Wanner. I didn't even hear it come out of my mouth. That is a giant leap of logic. We say things we dont mean. He also caused trouble for Survivor producers in season 8 when he decided to run an immunity challenge in the nude and deliberately rubbed up against his fellow castaway Sue Hawk, Us Weekly reported. Just grab your torch.. I am amazed and moved at his ability to do that. After an informal public vote, Jeff Probst snuffed Jeff Varner's torch, ending the Season 2 and Season 31 veteran's third (and presumably final) stint on Survivor. Stephanie Petit is a Royals Writer and Reporter at PEOPLE. Powered by. That's where I got the idea to use that secret alliance as a tool. What just happened onSurvivortonight is 100% bull st. Since then, Ive accepted genuine, heartfelt apologies from fellow castaways, but Ive continued to feel disappointed by how this pattern of behavior was allowed to occur for so long.. At Tribal Council, Varner asked Smith, "Why haven't you told anyone you're transgender? That full screen disclaimer is a crock. Just grab your torch.. Deception on levels, Jeff, that these guys dont even understand theres more., Host Jeff Probst asked Varner to explain himself, at which point Varner turned to Smith in front of the entire group and demanded: Why havent you told anyone youre transgender?. When you know what really goes on then you can tell me your opinion., Varner then responded to another Twitter users response repeating his right to weigh in on the news. The day finishes with a jog, a shower, a bottle of Merlot, a ruthless game of backgammon, and great sex. He's absolutely fantastic. The production team gave Spilo a formal warning on day 22. It's absolutely horrible. This producer manipulation is 100% bull shit. READ NEXT: Survivor Star Goes Off About COVID on Social Media, Why A Survivor Alum Severed Ties With Castmate, Copyright 2023 Heavy, Inc. All rights reserved. I'm just devastated over that. Threats of boycotts. At the first Tribal Council, he voted with the majority to remove Ciera Eastin. Ultimately, Abi-Maria put aside her grudge against Woo, and she, Andrew, and Tasha opted to keep the tribe strong and vote out Jeff 4-1.