And some may be telling the truth: a careful Boston Globe review of the 127 death-row inmates who died during George Bush's governorship of Texas concluded that "there was powerful proof of guilt - uncontradicted scientific evidence, freely offered confessions, or an admission of regret before the execution - in nine out of 10 cases.". But I don't think the world will be a better or safer place without me. He killed animals out here under the moon and become obsessed with specific girls he saw. This has obviously not happened in this case, nor I suspect in many others. 1 of them had a car very similar to Jason's but no further investigation took place and no forensic exam was done. In a search, police found handcuffs and newspaper articles about the murders in Massey's house. He was a god. In July 1993, James King was awakened early one morning Massey flirted with Christina, and she told him that she would like to "sneak out" sometime. On file we have 134 email addresses and 141 phone numbers associated with Jason in area codes such as 847, 309, 224, 440, 217, and 62 other area codes. James King called him the devil, but he didn't start out that way, he became that way. Police learned that Jason Massey, then 20, had been seen carrying a pistol by several people recently. Her head and hands were missing and not recovered. January 10, 2000 - The U.S. Magistrate recommended relief be denied. The Walmart sales clerk, who sold bullets for a .22 caliber gun, two knives, and handcuffs to Massey, picked him out of a line-up after his arrest. After his evaluation, Dekleva concluded that Massey was suffering from anti-social personality disorder and that he represented an imminent threat to others. It was more difficult to identify Christina. In addition, hair found on Brian's pant leg was microscopically matched with Massey's. First, she was an influential role model who showed her children that violence was the way to resolve life's problems. An arrest warrant was issued; when placed under arrest, Massey smiled. A search warrant was implemented in such a way as to render the use of resulting "evidence" in court highly questionable. Since he was heterosexual, girls would naturally become the objects of his fantasies of domination and control. The Lamp of Hope (Associated Press & Rick Halperin) September 13, 2000 - The Fifth Circuit denied COA. Dekleva, therefore, had Massey committed to the Dallas Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit. If you had wanted to punish me you would have killed me the day after, instead of killing me now. I put her remains in the Trinity River." Understand, though, that I'm not only upset, but I'm saddened by what is happening here tonight. She had been shot in the back and parts of her body mutilated. This is inaccurate. Other witnesses testified that Massey had spoken many times about killing dogs, cats, and cows, and that he kept detailed journals of his activities. At his execution, Massey confessed to his crime and apologized to the victim's family: "I do not know any of y'all and that is unfortunate, because I would like to apologize to each and every one of you individually." Nevertheless, the judge allowed it to be used in spite of the Defense Attorneys objections. I can't imagine what I have taken from y'all, but I do want to apologise and I want to let you know that I did do it. Her head and hands were severed and the body was covered with cuts. EVIDENCE: The attorney objected to the inadequate funding for DNA testing afforded the Defense. And all of these it was never nothing personal. ON A PERSONAL NOTE: I am led to believe that Americans charged with a crime are guaranteed "Due Process" whether guilty or innocent. To the victim's family: I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me as I have forgiven you. "I want you to know that Christina did not suffer as much as you think she did," Massey continued while strapped to the death chamber gurney. In more recent years the recorders have contented themselves with "(Spanish)", as if being foreign stripped the prisoner of their last words. Massey had written that he liked to read about guns, war, and police investigations. Such people often have dreams about dismembered parts, which are interpreted as their desire to tear apart living structures. He believed his client, Jason Eric Massey, would be exonerated rather than convicted by the evidence the state would present. EXECUTED: Jason Eric Massey. Explorer. Internet Sources: The classmate's dog had been killed and mutilated and the blood smeared on her car. Marijuana, a Persian cat with a rope around its neck, a three-prong knife and diary that listed names with check marks next to them were found in his car. Jason Massey's trophy cooler. Gary Graham was convicted of killing Bobby Grant Lambert in a Houston parking lot in Houston in May 1981, when he was 17. Investigators discovered a long list of potential victims and his diaries were filled with fantasies of rape, torture, and cannibalism of female victims. SUSPECTS: Prior to Jason's arrest, 2 men both known to him were arrested for the crime. Ellis County sheriff's Lt. Royce Gothard said the girl's naked body was in the brush beside a gravel road. I'm sorry for what I have done. Source: Texas Attorney-General Media Advisory I want you to know that Christina, she did not Massey was arrested. I know you guys want to know where the rest of her remains are. The first body discovered was that of a nude female whose head and hands were missing. Canadian Coalition to Abolish Death Penalty (Massey Homepage) Massey flirted with Christina, and she told him that she would like to "sneak out" sometime. During the sentencing phase, they had Dr. Dekleva, the psychiatrist who had previously examined Massey, testify. Let those without sin cast the first stone." Massey was pronounced dead at 6:20 p.m. Questions also arise over other witnesses. I put her remains in the Trinity River." Texas Department of Criminal Justice - Executed Offenders (Jason Eric Massey) King got out of bed and went to the front door. Or Billy Vickers, who admitted on the gurney that he was responsible for not one, but at least a dozen deaths. All of his other appeals in state and federal courts were rejected. The Texas death chambers are the busiest in the US, and correspondingly efficient: 376 prisoners have been executed since 1982. Thoughts like that were powerfully erotic to a lonely, disturbed boy who had few social skills. Real-Time. They are overwhelmingly religious, mostly asking for mercy from a Christian God, though there is the occasional invocation of Allah. Officials impounded Massey's 1982 Subaru. He also told a friend in explicit language what he would like to do the girl. He, too would be somebody. Nowlin testified that he didn't pay much attention to what Massey said, because it was weird and Massey talked about killing girls all the time. Only Jason has ever been tried for these murders. If this is what it takes, just do what you got to do to get past it. Not because I am here, but because of what I did and I hurt a lot of people [ ] I love you all [ ] All right. Texas Execution Information Center by David Carson. September 13, 2000 - The Fifth Circuit denied COA. After a while, when you have read 100 or so of these final statements, they start to run together into a ghoulish mass of murder and rapine, so you start looking for the differences. I am going to a better place. WebView Eric David Massey results including current phone number, address, relatives, background check report, and property record with Whitepages. Thus he is not He had Massey committed to a psychiatric hospital. I love y'all and you know, I want to apologise to y'all too for what I have done. Dekleva testified that there were no successful treatments for someone like Massey, that such individuals pose a lasting threat to society and are at an extraordinarily high risk of killing again and again. Execution Report: Jason Massey. Shortly afterward, after Massey's picture had circulated in the newspaper, the owner of a local car wash told police he saw Massey dumping items in his trash bin at 11:30 p.m. one night. The Walmart sales clerk, who sold bullets for a .22 caliber gun, two knives, and handcuffs to Massey, picked him out of a line-up after his arrest. According to public records, Massey was convicted of driving while intoxicated in June 1993 and was sentenced to 120 days in jail. Jason Massey's car. ", Crime Sexual assault and murder of a young girl, Last statement "Tell Beth and them I am sorry, truly sorry for the pain that I caused your family. (At a later date, the state habeas court entered findings of fact and conclusions of law recommending that relief be denied. Sometimes you don't know what to say; I hope these words give you comfort. October 23, 1996 - The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals affirmed his conviction and sentence in a published opinion. Thank you all for being here. When the children did not appear, James and Donna searched for them and subsequently filed a missing persons report. Final Words: No other wounds were discovered on his body. Thus, he would gravitate toward others who had found the same kind of solace or solutions in violence, notably people such as Charles Manson, Ted Bundy and Henry Lee Lucas (whom he later got to meet on death row). Read the blog below, which Massey crafted to help commemorate the second anniversary of the announcement of Arizona Public Services Clean Energy Commitment. "All I want," he wrote, "is the murdering of countless young women." A subsequent investigation revealed that Massey's cousin owned a .22 caliber pistol that he stored at his grandmother's house before leaving on a trip. Massey was born in January 7, 1973, in Ellis County, Texas. I ask for forgiveness. By his teens, he was a ju In closing, he said, "Tonight I dance on the streets of gold. I'm sorry for what I have done," Massey said. Three fried chicken quarters, fried squash, fried egg plant, mashed potatoes, snap peas, boiled cabbage, three corn on the cob, spinach, broccoli with cheese, one pint of caramel pecan fudge or tin roof ice cream, and a pitcher of sweet tea. Dekleva's review of the journals revealed Massey's desire to begin a "sacred journey" as a serial killer. 1 of them had a car very similar to Jason's but no further investigation took place and no forensic exam was done. You have the right to see this, I am glad you are here. Although another search was made along the riverbanks, Christina's head and hands were not recovered. See Photos. In fact, he'd not only become a serial killer and achieve some of that glory, but he'd become America's most notorious serial killer. Reports did not indicate how long he stayed there, but he was known to be out in mid-1993, when he was stopped by police. He managed to get as far as Oregon in a friend of his mother's car, but the police caught them and sent them home. Some exit defiant, squaring up to the victims' relatives. Three days later, he made a notation that officially marked his "sacred journey." March 17, 1994 - The State indicted Massey for the capital offense of murder of two persons in the same criminal transaction to which Massey later entered a plea of "not guilty.". He had previously been taken from hospitals where he had been receiving treatment to testify at trials. I'm deeply sorry for the loss of your loved one [ ] I cannot explain and can't give you answers. This witness relayed that Massey had told him that he killed because of the "adrenaline rush, a high, a turn on, a love to mutilate." Inmate: Jason Eric Massey #999121 Last Statement: Yes, first I would like to speak to the victims' family. The people never hollered for the life of a Houston police officer who beat up and drowned Jose Campo Torres and threw his body in the river. The Appeal Court has also commented the accused was found guilty of 2 counts of Capital Murder. "I know you guys want to know where the rest of her remains are. 245th murderer executed in Texas since 1976. You all have been there for me; it's a miracle. Massey, in a lengthy final statement, addressed relatives of his murder victims and his own relatives in seeking forgiveness for the double murders. ignore customs seizure letter. If his urge is to leave his mark destructively, the extremes of that drive are sadism the passion for unrestricted power over another person and necrophilia an attraction to all that is dead. "I can't imagine what I've taken from you," he said looking at relatives of Christina Benjamin, 13, and her stepbrother, James King, 14. KnifeGun Carpet fibers found on Brian's shoe matched fibers from Massey's car. When the authorities began searching for the victim's missing body parts they discovered the body of a young boy, identified as Brian King. Massey v. State, 933 SW2d 141 (Tex. Items police recovered from the car wash trash bin and vacuum containers included a red bandanna with blond hair on it and a piece of paper with Massey's name on it. Many more dead animals followed, including dogs and even six cows. Griffith also testified that while anti-personality disorder can abate with some individuals over time and with age, it would not in a case as severe as Massey's. King got out of bed and went to the front door. He wanted to physically eat some girl's brain and heart, and drink her blood. WebYes, this is it. WebJason Eric Massey, entering a world where he had no control or security, found what he needed in images of death and destruction. Several witnesses testified to seeing the gun on Massey's person. He was known to torture animals and was only nine years old when he killed his first cat. EXPERT WITNESSES: The Prosecutions Evidence Technician was a man with a record of mental illness, alcohol and drug abuse. The classmate's dog had been killed and mutilated and the blood smeared on her car. She had accidentally come across his journals and was horrified, inspiring him to a new resolution: "Never speak your true nature." He was neglected and abused by his alcoholic father and his drug addicted mother. But the official record alleges that the argument was about his crack addiction, and an autopsy contradicts his account of the death. Massey agreed, and told Christina that he would drive by her house around midnight some night and honk his horn and that she was to go to the old Fina station on I-45 and wait. I love you all. "It's almost a miracle we caught him as quickly in his career as we did," he added. It is about existential need, or the desire to make a distinct mark on one's world. James was killed by two shots to the head from a small-caliber gun. He expressed love and recited a Biblical verse, then gasped slightly as the lethal drugs began taking effect. King waited for about an hour for his son to return before going back to bed. 1996). March 23, 2000 - Massey filed a notice of appeal and the case was subsequently docketed in the Fifth Circuit. This witness relayed that Massey had told him that he killed because of the "adrenaline rush, a high, a turn on, a love to mutilate." When he returned, both Brian and the car were gone. Children who grow up without stability, as the published accounts say he did, have difficulty forming emotional attachments to their caretakers. Canadian Coalition to Abolish Death Penalty (Massey Homepage). Minisode 1: Jason Eric Massey. The boy's fully clothed body was found 100 yards away in a creek with no visible wounds, Gothard said. He wrote in his journal that it was a momentous day for him. WebThe evil world of Jason Eric Massey.Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_MasseyFort Worth Star-Telegram March 19, 2001 - The petition for writ of certiorari was denied. I have a lot of anger about the stupid mistakes I made and at the same time I recognize anger is just an emotion." They're guided by a set of values, and those values come from character, which is influenced in its development by social circumstances. [10], Massey's crime was documented on an episode of the TV series Forensic Files called "Pure Evil". January 16, 2001 - Massey filed a petition for writ of certiorari in the U.S. Supreme Court. State-sanctioned murder is fine. Thereafter, the Court of Criminal Appeals adopted the trial court's findings of fact and conclusions of law and ordered that Massey's request for state habeas relief be denied.). WebIn his final words, Massey apologized to Christina Benjamin and James Kings family and revealed that he had thrown Christinas head and hands into the Trinity River. Isn't it? WebHe quoted Kaltenbrunners final words: I have loved my German people and my fatherland with a warm heart. In these journals, Massey detailed his love of killing and his plans to become a serial murderer. "It is written in Esekiel 16:35.". Late in July, the owner of a local car wash observed Massey pull in about 11:30 p.m. in a tan-colored Subaru. I'm sorry for what I have done," Massey said. A witness stated that he saw the victims getting into a car similar to Jason's. Bones to talk with.". It should come as no surprise that Jason would develop a love/hate relationship with women. Fromm believes that we all have an inner drive to make sense of life and to experience it to its optimum intensity. Give me my rights. They were somebody, and if he became one, he'd no longer be a nobody, a poor boy with nothing. There isn't much time to dwell on rights and wrongs and regrets. An investigator for the Ellis County sheriff's department read to the jury portions of letters that Massey had written while he was in prison. She was a friend of mine and I betrayed her trust. "Tonight we tell the world that there are no second chances in the eyes of justice [ ] Tonight, we tell our children that in some instances, in some cases, killing is right [ ] No one wins tonight. And I don't know how you feel about me. In the early morning hours of July 27, 1993, James King was awakened by the sound of a car pulling up to his house, beeping its horn twice and driving away. PLEA BARGAIN: To impose the Death Penalty at trial the State of Texas must first prove the accused is a danger to all around him and DP is the only suitable punishment. But the person that committed that act is no longer here - I am. Born in 1973 in Ellis As for me, I am happy, that is why you see me smiling. Evidence showed Massey knew King and Benjamin, whom he flirted with, and arranged to pick her up in his car if she would sneak out of her house the early morning hours of July 27, 1993. The jury took just three hours to convict Massey after hearing testimony from a former friend of Massey, 18-year-old Chris Nowlin, who told the court that Massey had said he wanted to have sex with Benjamin, then kill her and mutilate her. Webjason eric massey last words. When he returned, both Brian and the car were gone. Massey dumped items in the trash bin and started to back out, but stopped when he saw the owner watching him. Next, he expressed love to individual members of his family and apologized to them "for all of the pain that I have caused." A little later, when the car came by again, King looked out his window and observed a tan car turn off its headlights and park in front of his house. In his car, they found a knife and numerous blood spots, which were DNA matched to Christina Benjamin. Dekleva testified that there were no successful treatments for someone like Massey, that such individuals pose a lasting threat to society and are at an extraordinarily high risk of killing again and again. In the journals, Massey listed the names of several girls he wanted to kill and stated that he wanted to engrave his name on society. This person is unable to pursue the matter but it needs urgent investigation. You are not hurting me now. Log In. He was obsessed with bringing girls under his control and having their dead bodies in his possession. WebLast Statement: Yes, first I would like to speak to the victims' family. An arrest warrant was issued; when placed under arrest, Massey smiled. He pulled his car back into a bay and started vacuuming. Massey described his very violent and sadistic fantasies and expressed a desire to read about criminal and police procedures to eliminate the possibility of getting caught for his intended crimes. Massey wrote that he wanted "to grab society by the throat and shake 'em with terror until they're awake and realize what's up so they will remember who I am, when and why I came their way." In the entry for January 19, 1991, a Sunday, Massey writes that he tried and failed to kill his girlfriend, and "I'm tired of feeling like shit for not being able to kill." . Prosecutors speculated that the missing body parts were thrown in the river and were washed downstream but were never found. May 26, 2000 - Massey filed a motion for COA in the Fifth Circuit. I was paid to shoot the man. He was indicted for the capital offense of murder of two persons. Kept a collection of animal skulls and jaw bones in a woods. ", Crime Sexual assault and strangling of two girls, Last statement "I am sorry. PLEA BARGAIN: To impose the Death Penalty at trial the State of Texas must first prove the accused is a danger to all around him and DP is the only suitable punishment. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals affirmed his conviction. Many end with what seems, on paper at least, a gentle word of assent to the warden, as if giving permission, a tiny gesture of control over their own ends. In these journals, Massey talked about his plan to become a serial killer. Rape, strangling and drowning of a 28-year-old woman. He was pronounced dead at 6:20 p.m. CDT, 8 minutes after the drug flow began. Certain people appear to crave absolute control--evident in Massey's journals and this need often derives from a chaotic childhood. Christina had been shot in the back, decapitated, and mutilated. At this point, King went to the restroom. I pray you will have no ill will or animosity. In accordance with Texas law, the trial court assessed Massey's punishment as death. He wanted to go to the Pacific Northwest, the land of Ted Bundy and the as-yet uncaught Green River Killer. Massey had decided he was going to become the worst serial killer that Texas had ever seen. Our Lord Jesus Christ, I commend myself to you. Massey was sent to death row for fatally shooting the teen-agers, whose bodies were found in a rural area of Ellis County 3 days after they disappeared from their home in Garrett, about 30 miles southeast of Dallas. WebMassey, pictured smiling, made his chilling confession minutes before he died. Then out on his own, he seemed ambivalent: should he resume his plans to find a girl to kill or try to do something positive? Massey took the gun unbeknownst to his cousin. I am sorry for that. Massey's mother had brought him in for evaluation after discovering two of his journals and becoming very disturbed by their content. 01-07-73 They ask partners to care for soon-to-be fatherless children. APPEALS: in 1995 the case went to Appeal on 24 counts of trial error. The place where the bodies were found was about 15 miles from the teens' home in Garrett. It's a shame he started with kids.". October 23, 1996 - The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals affirmed his conviction and sentence in a published opinion. After reading all the shit in those two books, they had a reason to get a court order to get me some help." What it takes. . ] October 6, 1994 - A jury found Massey "guilty" of the capital offense. And to my brother and sister for standing with me throughout this situation. "It's almost a miracle we caught him as quickly in his career as we did," he added. Both were released without charge. In July 1993, James King was awakened early one morning by the sound of a car pulling up to his house, honking its horn twice, and driving away. Questions also arise over other witnesses. Had he accepted the Plea Bargain the DP would not have been imposed. "I'm not going to struggle physically against any restraints. His last statement finished, the lethal flow was started. A subsequent comparison of blond hairs found in the car, hairs on the red bandana recovered from the car wash and hairs found near Christina at the crime scene revealed a microscopic match. Tommy Perkins, the man that got a capital life sentence for murdering Kinslow - he did not do it. Officials impounded Massey's 1982 Subaru. On Oct. 30 they were kept waiting for 4 hours. He even wrote that he wanted to decapitate a girl and have sex inside her neck. March 6, 1998 - Massey filed a petition for habeas corpus relief in federal district court. [3], A former teacher and classmate of Massey also testified about his disturbing behavior. I must have a body for the next day or two, to hold, talk to, and make love. ", Crime Killing his three children in a house fire, Last statement "The only statement I want to make is that I am an innocent man - convicted of a crime I did not commit. Her body parts have never been found. Not only did she create a transient and unpredictable environment, she added to it with neglect, starvation and punishment. I have had time to get ready, to tell my family goodbye, to get my life where it needed to be. It took jurors only 15 minutes to order his execution. Let my son know I love him. March 27, 2000 - The district court denied the motion. WebJason Eric Massey was just twenty-eight years old. I promise you that. "The people never hollered for the life of the policeman that killed a 13-year-old boy who was handcuffed in the back seat of a police car. I want you to know I did do it. He also described Massey's subsequent armed robbery of a fast food restaurant and the detailed journals that Massey kept. Date ofMurder It succeeded. Webjason eric massey last words. Harden Clark- He had two episodes. Give me my rights. His last words, on June 22 2000, ended with: "Keep marching, black people. Sick Jason Massey, who killed Christina Benjamin, 13, and her stepbrother, Brian King, 14, in Texas, in summer 1993, made the chilling confession as he was It's a shame he started with kids." However, prior to going to trial, Jason was offered a Plea Bargain. March 6, 1998 - Massey filed a petition for habeas corpus relief in federal district court. An investigator for the Ellis County sheriff's department read to the jury portions of letters that Massey had written while he was in prison. Massey had written that he liked to read about guns, war, and police investigations. I want you to know I did do it. This person is unable to pursue the matter but it needs urgent investigation. [Portion of statement omitted due to profanity] Get my money. Griffith also testified that while anti-personality disorder can abate with some individuals over time and with age, it would not in a case as severe as Massey's. ", Evidence showed Massey knew King and Benjamin, whom he flirted with, and arranged to pick her up in his car if she would sneak out of her house the early morning hours of July 27, 1993. Jason Massey was convicted and sentenced to death for the 1993 murders of two young teenagers whose bodies were found by a road worker on a rural road in Telico in Ellis County, Texas. Jason Eric. I have been persecuted for 12 years for something I did not do. I just want you to know that - I did not murder Damien and would ask for all your forgiveness and I will see all of you soon. I truly mean that too. In another entry, Massey wrote that he had killed 41 cats, 32 dogs, and 7 cows. Psychoanalyst and social philosopher Erich Fromm writes about the development of "malignant aggression" in The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness, and his ideas clarify how some people turn toward the need to harm. I am not here to point fingers. "It's impossible to assign a motive to a case like this," added Strange, now an assistant district attorney in Austin. They are domestic. PUBLIC ACCESS: Trial transcripts are supposedly public documents. Shortly afterward, after Massey's picture had circulated in the newspaper, the owner of a local car wash told police he saw Massey dumping items in his trash bin at 11:30 p.m. one night.