"He's been hearing from me for a long time.". The siblings faced off in a friendly shootout. [6] Jaquez was also a pitcher on the high school baseball team. Strapped with two ankle braces . "It makes a big difference," Cottrell said. His father, Jaime Jaquez Sr., played at Camarillo High followed by Moorpark College and Concordia University in Irvine. Senior forward Jaime Jaquez Jr. banked in a short jumper and made a layup amid a sea of bodies to help the No. [29] Jaquez was named a consensus second-team All-American. [12][13], In 202122, Jaquez was restricted by ankle injuries throughout most of the season. Let me put it this way: I didnt bet on UCLA. I mean, just seeing how hard my dad worked, as well as my mom, and my grandparents coming from Mexico, it was really inspiring to see as a young kid.. She competes, Prewitt said. Jaime Jaquez Jr. gets the tough transition slam. With his sister's reaction, Jaime stated, 'We are both competitive.'. Bolch was once selected by NBA TVs The Starters as the Worst of the Week after questioning their celebrity journalism-style questions at an NBA All-Star game and considers it one of his finer moments. A lot of people in Mexico would love to see someone else in the NBA. Marcos, a three-sport standout at Camarillo, is an unlikely baby of the bunch at 6 feet 2 and 250 pounds. Twice a month, shed hop on a Friday flight to Northern California, practice that night, twice Saturday and once again Sunday morning before flying back that day. After Hours Tour. "I think my experience here has been great even before she was here. She wasnt allowed to play sports growing up, Jaquez said, and had to be a real girly-girl., I had to ask her, Did you ever think you would have a 6-foot-tall granddaughter? Jaquez said. ( Source : instagram ). Its always on my mind because were this close to the moment and weve been close before. That UCLA, when he got there, was not the best. Her reporting focuses on current events, breaking news and substance use. They both usually go on a dinner date together. His mom and dad have always taught them to work hard. 1 seed (Michigan) and No. She met Jaquezs grandfather in Oxnard after visiting one of her sisters, and she married him in her early 20s. NIL has opened up a lot of gateways, and I think the biggest thing now is that theres not a bad option for anybody coming out of high school. Jaime Jaquez Jr. Shed try to beat her brothers in whatever backyard game they played, and she still does. The superlatives swirl around Gabriela Jaquez, clinging to her like the No. March 24, 2022, 12:09 PM. Jaime Jaquez Jr. is a Mexian-American college basketballer. The brothers and sisters share a close bond. Jaime Jaquez Jr. burned the Buffaloes for 23 points and 13 rebounds earlier this season. 24. Jaquez was ranked 87th in the 2019 recruiting rankings. Thats who he is. I came here on a mission, and that was to restore UCLA to glory. Facebook; Twitter; Facebook Messenger; Pinterest; Email; print; LOS ANGELES -- UCLA guard Tyger Campbell has declared for the NBA draft, joining teammates Jaime Jaquez Jr. and Jaylen Clark who already made the move. I was just, was enamored by everything," he told CBS News' Dana Jacobson. Ans. Jaime Jaquez Jr. works his way inside for and-1 bucket. Now, back to basketball. Angela Jaquez is a middle school teacher. Mexican-American basketball player Jaime Jaquez Jr was born on 18 February 2001. 2M; 0:18. Being from Camarillo, how much did you think about going to UCLA when you were growing up? He is currently dating and living a happy life with a girlfriend named Ciera Rose. Talking about his career as you all know that he is currently playing for UCLA and is continuously performing unbeatable in every tournament. Mexican-American basketball player Jaime Jaquez Jr was born on 18 February 2001. Jaquez Sr. stepped away two years ago when Smith too over the program. But at this stage of his career, Jaquez Sr. feel his son can benefit from hearing a different voice. He was named a consensus second-team All-American and voted the Pac-12 Player of the Year as a senior in 2023. Jaime is a college basketball player in the Pac-12 Conference. Angela Jaquez, Jaime Jr. and Gabriela's mother, was on the Concordia women's basketball team at the same time Jaime Sr. was playing on the men's team. Juan (Toscano-Anderson) is already there, and hes holding it down, having won an NBA championship with the Warriors. Jaquez has also played for the Mexican national team in the Pan American Games in Lima, Peru in 2019. Follow your favorites to personalize your FOX Sports experience, Follow your favorites to get information about games, news and more, FOX SPORTS, SPEED, SPEED.COM & 2023 Fox Media LLC and Fox Sports Interactive Media, LLC. . Danny Vranes, Sabrina Ionescu, James Worthy, Skylar Diggins, Tayshaun Prince. He was a four-year varsity basketball letter-winner. [30] He was voted the Pac-12 Player of the Year, becoming the first Bruin to win since Kevin Love in 2008 and the first UCLA senior to capture the award since Ed O'Bannon in 1995. I had to get the loaded griller. Language links are at the top of the page across from the title. Gonzaga had to play from behind against TCU, falling down double-digits in . [26] On February 4, 2023, he had a game-high 24 points and a career-high 15 rebounds in a 7652 win over Washington State. The versatile Jaquez Jr. possesses an innate athleticism that already allows him to sky above the rim for dunks. Jquez Jr. was originally recruited by Steve Alford, butJquez Sr. said it was "meant to be" and that theJquez family was even more impressed by the genuineness Cronin and his staff exude. Jaime has become the emotional linchpin for a Bruins team that reached the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament, where it will face North Carolina on Friday night at the Wells Fargo Center. At the same time, she knew her father, Don, was in poor health. Jaime Jaquez Jr., second from right, with his mother Angela, younger brother Marcos and Bruins volleyball player lan McCall at Dodgers Stadium before Jaquez threw out the first pitch at a. Jquez Jr. embodies the type of players Cronin searches for on the recruiting trail diving on loose balls, bruising his way to the rim into trees of defenders, taking a charge as instinctively as he shoots a jumper. ANTHONY PLASCENCIA/THE STAR Jaime Jaquez Jr. has made an all-around contribution with 13.5 points, 7.9 rebounds, 2.6 steals and 1.3 blocks a game. [32], Jaquez played for the Mexico national team in the 2019 Pan American Games in Lima, Peru. "To be on the mound where legends have been and do that was so, so cool," Jaquez said. (Photo courtesy of Scott Chandler/UCLA). It was incredible. I can tell you this much, I can be a winner for your organization. Bolch is also the author of the recently released book 100 Things UCLA Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die. He previously covered UCLA basketball from 2010-11 before going on to cover the NBA and the Clippers for five years. Jaime Jaquez Jr.'s decision to return for his senior season worked out quite well for No. It's more than a tradition; it's a legacy Gabriela and Jaime Jr. have cherished. Position: Guard 6-6, 220lb (198cm, 99kg) Hometown: Camarillo, CA High School: Camarillo HS RSCI Top 100: 96 . "He's a great scorer and he crashes the boards.". Jaime Jaquez Jr.Parents & Ethnicity: Jaime Jaquez Jr is a popular Mexican-American college basketball player. "But when he decided to come back, I was like 'This is going to be fun.'". Ceira enjoyed her time at Lodi, California. She updates her daily life activities on her social media account. [19] He was one of five finalists for the Julius Erving Award, given to the top small forward in the country. It was definitely a thought. Yet its also a reminder of where her tenacity comes from of the family she carries as close to her heart as the cross. Marcos (left) with Jaime and Gabriela. But a frustrated Jaquez wasnt seeing offers of any kind come in after a sophomore season during which she averaged over 20 points. Jaime grew up playing basketball with Gabriela. The Jaquez siblings also get some of their basketball talent from mom Angela, who, like Jaime Sr., played at Concordia College in Irvine, California. Its eye-opening for a lot of people and I know how much it means to Mexico to see the growth in basketball. The next day against Michigan State in the final game of the tournament, the Camarillo, California native got his first career start. I try to get out there as much as I can to visit family. In the 2021-22 school year, she was named the Ventura Country Sports Hall of fame female athlete of the year. Our Final Four run is a testament to what we can do when we come together., BRACKETS: Men's and women's NCAA Tournament results and schedules, FINAL FOUR: Breaking down Baylor-Houston, Gonzaga-UCLA matchups, OPINION: This Final Four makes perfect sense, even in a bizarre men's basketball season. Here you can read his father's and mother's names. You have to make sure your grades are there No. 1 that's the most important thing and then you continue to develop as far as his basketball game.". "He hasn't actually played in a chess tournament but is trying to compete. ), At Willie Nelson 90, country, rock and rap stars pay tribute, but Willie and Trigger steal the show, Concertgoer lets out a loud full body orgasm while L.A. Phil plays Tchaikovskys 5th, Dig this: Long Beach States Mason Briggs could be next big thing at libero, Kentucky Derby storylines: Training death puts early pall over Churchill Downs, Dodgers vs. Philadelphia Phillies: How to watch, start times and betting odds, Elliott: Pissed off Kings must improve in key areas to break Oilers playoff stranglehold, Shohei Ohtanis seventh home run of the season helps Angels avoid sweep. Athletics are prevalent, with older brother Jaquez Jr. playing at UCLA, younger brother Marcos a football player at Camarillo and parents former basketball players at Concordia University in Irvine. [2], Jaime Jr. was born in Irvine, California, and has a younger brother Marcos and younger sister Gabriela. It has always been Jaquezs dream to attend UCLA. Jquez Jr.'s grandmother, Gloria, says cousins, aunts and uncles are all watching her grandson's NCAA Tournament games from Mexico. [9], On February 18, 2021, Jaquez scored 25 points on his 20th birthday in a 7460 win over Arizona, the Bruins' fifth straight in its rivalry with the Wildcats. Jaime was born in an athletic background family, where his grandfather Ezequiel was a baseball and basketball player at Oxnard's Santa Clara High school. Both are representing the UCLA Bruins in this year's NCAA tournament and their family. I just sat with the paper my mom was kind of tearing up.. We all knew each other and spent a ton of time together. A week ago, digging through old file cabinets of memorabilia, she and her mom, Angela, rediscovered a piece of paper Jaquez had written as a goal: to play for UCLA. [27] That month, he scored late baskets in multiple games to help lead the team to victories, including seven points in .mw-parser-output .frac{white-space:nowrap}.mw-parser-output .frac .num,.mw-parser-output .frac .den{font-size:80%;line-height:0;vertical-align:super}.mw-parser-output .frac .den{vertical-align:sub}.mw-parser-output .sr-only{border:0;clip:rect(0,0,0,0);height:1px;margin:-1px;overflow:hidden;padding:0;position:absolute;width:1px}3+12 minutes as the Bruins secured a win over Utah. This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times. What kind of impact have your parents had on you? The senior, who has signed with UCLA, puts gusts of wind between herself and the rest of her teammates when running full-court sprints. He currently ranks fourth among all Pac-12 player in scoring and fifth in rebounding. The Jaquez siblings are inspiring their own legion of followers. Press Esc to cancel. He covers the sport in a variety of capacities, from calling games on FS1 to serving as lead host on the BIG EAST Digital Network to providing commentary on The Field of 68 Media Network. Covering the issues, politics, culture and lifestyle of the Latino community in L.A., California and beyond. Ive learned more about being a consumer and what it means to sell to people. Would you still be in college if NIL wasnt a thing? What has allowed you guys to win six straight games and have a 23-4 record on the season? I dont think about anything else. The family backstory was included in a 3-minute video released as part of the NIL deal being announced. UCLA star Jaime Jaquez Jr. shares thoughts on his family history, his NBA dreams, and his burning desire to bring a national title to Westwood. Currently, Jaime is playing for the UCLA Bruins of the Pac-12 Conference. That's because theJquez name represents a lineage in Mexican-American heritage that started when his grandparents came to Oxnard, Californiafrom Sinaloa and Durango in Mexico. "Coach Cronin is completely honest and doesn't hold anything back,"Jquez Jr. said. Since college hoops season, if I make a visit it comes in the summertime. Jaime is currently in a very long time relationship with his best friend. It came from Mamba. "I remember telling all the other players before I got to UCLA: Listen guys, when I get here, Im making sure that UCLA is back on the map. Return to Top; Players. I would play baseball. ", "It's just a really huge plus that we're both here together," Jaquez added. Theres so much opportunity and with NIL, theres so much potential. The first word I want them to say is "legacy." My dad (Jaime Sr.) taught me about John Wooden. Jaime Jaquez Jr. made it clear: He wanted to be a Camarillo High Scorpion. The Camarillo High graduate declared for the NBA Draft on Thursday, officially completing his UCLA career as the Bruins' eighth-leading all-time scorer. They Refused to Fight for Russia. 62K Followers, 1,026 Following, 111 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Jaime Jaquez Jr (@trippplej) 60.8k Followers, 989 Following, 111 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Jaime Jaquez Jr (@trippplej) trippplej. "I think for us, we can win a game in different ways and thats why were confident we can beat anyone," Jaquez says about this season's Bruins.