The guy I bought my son's kart from gave us tire prep that he used. You can simply use a dry cloth and wipe or brush off both rear tires. I am running 22's right now. Using a tire prep formula can ultimately save you a few tenths of a second per lap, which definitely adds up throughout the race. Once the bite comes up, wash your tires and switch to regular tire traction because suntan tends to be too tacky. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Theres a good chance it will come in glazed over. tire enough to cause feathering on a hard track. if(MSFPhover) { MSFPnav11n=MSFPpreload("_derived/lube-autoracingoil.htm_cmp_needforspeed010_hbtn.gif"); MSFPnav11h=MSFPpreload("_derived/lube-autoracingoil.htm_cmp_needforspeed010_hbtn_a.gif"); } Works good for dirt and asphalt applications. if(MSFPhover) { MSFPnav12n=MSFPpreload("_derived/Lube-brake.htm_cmp_needforspeed010_hbtn.gif"); MSFPnav12h=MSFPpreload("_derived/Lube-brake.htm_cmp_needforspeed010_hbtn_a.gif"); } What we willingly pay for is the advise and knowledge of the guys we buy from. You've gotten some info about some stuff your can use for prep other then buying already made prep. NMP is a solvent that would probably work. Circle Track magazine did an article and a test . Scuffing brings the tire up to the lower end of its operating temperature, but not too hot. Use small amounts at a time to avoid wasting the tire softener. Well he has started and I just fund his hobby. This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. SPF 45 Suntan works great on carpet when the track is ''green'' and doesn't have a groove worked in yet. Done right, siping can help a hard-compound tire work like a medium-compound tire., Mateer: Drivers talk about their tires sealing over or getting glazed. No one knows what is happening but one theory is that the heating of the tire during a race liquefies resins in the rubber compounds. Stay tuned next month where we continue to cover the basics of tire preparation. Understanding this is vital, as it will determine how many layers of a tire prep formula you need and how much you are required to apply. Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! If theyre really sealed over and shiny, maybe they were cut up too much, built too much heat, and sealed over on you. Check the inside edge, the center, and the outside edge of each tire and record the readings. That movement creates heat, which can be your friend for traction but your enemy for wear., Steve Norris, crewman and tire prep for dirt late model driver Billy Moyer for over 20 years: Siping makes a tire fire quickerget up to temperature faster. In other words: if you mechanically or chemically prep a tire and something goes wrong with it that results a wreck in a race, any potential legal repercussions are on the person responsible for altering the tire. ASK ME ABOUT FOCARS: Just curiousWhy do you say never on carpet? Simple green cleans and softens rubber tires and makes them tacky . Im trying to get rid of the release agent that the manufacturer uses to make the tires easier to remove from their molds. Be careful when putting it on you can make the tire so soft its almost melting. There are situations on a really slick track where it seems like the edges of the tooled grooves peel over. Want to get a nasty look from the crew of a touring dirt late model? But they don't let it sit as long as ATF. Dan. Freshly coated tires that come into contact with a wet environment could render the tire prep ineffective and also prolong the drying process. Its impossible for tire companies or race teams to run controlled tests and definitively say that grinding, siping, or grooving tires in a specific pattern or to a specific depth gives specific amounts of additional traction, heating, cooling, or tread life. With how hard it is to find tires right now let alone how much they cost, the last thing you need is accidentally junking a set of tires especially if youre new to it. for dirt i would use wintergreen on tires it cleans them and softens them. by -MARK- Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:24 pm, Post 32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24. Apply mixture to tires using rag or a paint roller. I think the heat of the grooving iron does something to the rubber on the edges of the grooves. Find a prep line and learn. Let the tires air dry for a day. GoKartGuide is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, HomeAbout Terms of UsePrivacy PolicyContact. Be careful, as the #5 Goat P will soften the When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. It is an ingredient is some paint strippers. next evolution was acetone and transmission fluid. Like I said, you can easily go too far, so don't get carried away. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but scuff marks actually create a tire profile. Hi, I'm Gerrit. ATF therefore gets it deeper. Step 1. Heat will greatly accelerate the absorption of any softener (solvent, plasticizer, same thing) into rubber. to my knowledge there is no 1 prep that fits all conditions. by CoMaxRacing Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:45 am, Post Somebody once told my just spray them with WD40, don't know if that's true or not. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail. The atf is oil based which is conditioning the tire. Mechanical preparation of tire treads is an inexact science because of the variable nature of dirt tracks. Both are used instead of ATF to help preps like xylene sit on the tire longer before evaporation. Mateer: Without a doubt, some racers think they can get more out of a tire by mechanically prepping it. It is too easy to ruin a set or multiple sets using home brews. You can play with the depth of siping a little in a long race. Thanks. They create edges that wiggle and rub against each other as the tire is pressed against the track. In 2016 the Rhne-Alpes rgion was joined with the rgion of Auvergne to form the new administrative entity of Auvergne-Rhne-Alpes. High flash mineral spirits or charcoal lighter is a good tire conditioner, as well as WD-40. What prep and how would you recommend for a clay but sandy track track. 270-703-2772 6pm-9pm Central You can even opt to skip tire prepping all together, if you think that the track has a very high bite. Grinding removes that microscopic layer of sealed rubber and mechanically roughs up the smoothed tread blocks to give more bite., Norris: Ten or 15 years ago we might have ground our tires at the start of the night and never touched them again, but now were cleaning and grinding every tire after every heat race and before the features. Either of them will be able to refer you to the regulatory guidelines. To get everything possible out of a new tire, put it through a couple heat-cool cycles before you really race it. If youre planning to use tire prep formula on off-road go-karts for dirt surfaces, you have to take into account that it will not be as effective as when used on asphalt. racehead, take a look at a previous discussion on this subject, under the topic "Chemical to softer rubber? Instruments online ordering. Pour a small quantity of the mixture into the tray. Soak the tires in water first. You should read instructions on the tire prep container carefully. Racing surfaces vary not only from track to track, but during a nights racing at the same track. hello i spoke to a guy i use for my chems and he is going to find out how much it will be as soon as i find out ill post on here ok. If the race track has a medium bite, you should aim for a medium application. If youre on a new set of go-kart tires, you should think about scuffing them. New tires usually have less grip as they are smoother and have less traction. Applying tire prep formula on your go-kart tires is fairly simple, however there are a few steps that you need to take into consideration before you start. wintergreen odor. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Take some rags soaked in kerosene and cover the tyres with it. Thanks. When used wrong you are hurting your tires with SG, along with getting the dirt out of the pours your also taking the oils = grip out of the tire as well. SXT or bust. You are using an out of date browser. // -->. My attitude is that Im always there to win, and Im not going to let a few cents worth of rubber keep me from giving my driver the best car I can., Johnson: It makes a difference if you wash your tires between race nights. Unless you know what is chemically going on with a tire, homebrews are "voodoo science", basically stumbling onto a concoction that works and never knowing why, or how to modify it for different conditions. Generally, we use 30cc to 60cc inside prep in the summer months, 60cc to 90cc in the spring and fall, and 90cc to 120cc in the winter. #5 Goat P (Goat Pee, Goat Piss, Gold, Yellar, ect) provides tons of grip and stays in the tire to drop the Copyright 2017 Traction Media LLCWebsite Proudly Powered By Nitro Designs. May 14, 2014 #1 ; Has Anyone Had The Experience Of Messing With A Prep Forumla Of 50% Toulene And 50% Xylene. Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. DRC21 Member. But it takes time to penetrate the rubber. Wrapping the tires in saran wrap might help. The two chemicals are working to open up the tire as well as make bit. There have been times when I had to run a brand-new, un-ground tire on the right rear, and I could definitely tell it took three or four laps longer for it to fire than the tires that were already ground and broken in., Norris: [You know] those deals where theres a crewman grinding tires between trailers, and you cant see the guy from all the rubber smokethats a bad deal. The larger the tread block, the more it retains heat once it gets warmed up. JavaScript is disabled. Now that youve applied the tire prep formula, its time for the final step. As you can see, the lower the bite of the race track, the thicker the application needs to be, in order to give you the extra traction you need. After warming up, if not better, sell'em at the swap-meet. Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.It's easy to join and it's free. One way to think about it is that the tire isnt working right if its sealed over, so youre actually getting more for your money by taking off a shallow layer of rubber. Thread starter turtle5353; Start date Jun 17, 2015; T. turtle5353 Member. The guy I bought my son's kart from gave us tire prep that he used. If you want to apply all of the tire prep coatings in one go or split the application into multiple thinner ones is completely up to you. They need to get a probe-type pyrometer, rather than an infrared one, and they need to check their tires as soon as they come off the track. You can also wrap the tires in plastic for a The tire-and-wheel assembly is mounted on an electrified wheel turning unit, which slowly rotates the tire and allows precise control of the grinding process. Grooving is a third form of mechanical tire preparation that uses a special heated tool to cut additional grooves in a tires tread. goggles. Combine that sealed surface with the mechanical polishing of the tread simply by spinning of the tire, and you lose bite. thanks guys ill have alook around see if i can get hold of some of this nmp. Youre probably overworking the rubber, changing it chemically, and actually sealing it over. I dont really care about the grinding patternI just want that shiny surface off the tread., Kent Arment, WISSOTA 2001 late model and modified champion, 2004 late model champion, 2005 modified champion: I use a 60-grit and try to make the tops of the blocks flat across the surface of the tread. Sure, they might be keeping the sun from heating their tires, but theyve also spent a lot of time prepping the treads on those tires in magical, near-mystical ways. // -->