Remember back then the weed of choice was elephant. lived on paoakalini two doors down from the original free clinic. Posted on . This was an incredible festival. We hitched hiked all over to surf but mostly Sand Island, Ala Moana, Rock Piles, Bumburas, etc, all South breaks. 1986strat@gmail.com. My brother, his friends & me (the tag along) got there before dawnand it was DAMNED COLD. I also had plain white cotton shirts I embroidered and my brother hand painted. Would love to know the full list of performers. @ankleBYTERS: Admission charge. Fleetwood Mac headlined the two day Diamond Head Crater Festival, closing the weekend. On July 1st, 1978, nearly 100,000 people crammed inside the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, during the hottest day of the decade for the first real stadium rock show in the south. I took a camera but no film. haha. You might want to check with the Honolulu Star Advertiser. Glass Candle was doing what I wanted to do as a young man. I attended many shows at the HIC and Shell. What was odd, however, was that the Diamond Head Crater festivals went on for so many years before state officials and complaining neighbors finally halted the all-day music celebrations. It was wild seeing something like that happening. Jumped on the Bus and had a great day ! I was 19, stationed with 1/3 at KBay. I had to repeat it a few times and use it in a phrase. ALOHA. Like Rodney said, it was new years, so was hard to deviate from tradition, but I went to one and only one of those festivals, the one with Santana and Buddy Miles. Your music was well accepted! sword and fairy 7 how to change language. . oh it was for sure..I do recall..it was so hilarious and so true.. Im from the Big Island but remember visiting Oahu and my super cousin Cheryl and her boyfriend taking me to a Crater Festival. My teenage jaw dropped., The one in 76 was the best! Both 1974 & 1975 are in mint condition and signed by Tom Sellers. Fleetwood Mac, Graham Central Station, and thats about all the band names i remember. Thanks for sharing your memories or whats left of our memories. Anyone remember? Never forget it!!! Hey Rodney, thanks for that link, and that IS the song! had a great time, dont remember much so that must be a sign eh? Edit setlist Show all edit options. techtuts Site Admin Posts: 314 Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:06 pm Location: Liverpool, UK Re: 1977-07-04 - Diamond Head Crater Festival, Honolulu, Hawaii Postby techtuts Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:06 pm "The crafts on display ranged from bamboo flutes, hippie clothing and artwork to water pipes, roach clips used to hold 'joints' and other items of the young drug culture.". He may have repeated the song as the final actI couldnt swear either way. My first concerts were at the Waikiki Shell where Peter, Paul, and Mary performed a few consecutive summers. )as well. Elvin Bishop The sound of this music playing in the crater was totally a trip. Its concrete vestiges can still be seen at a lookout point along the trail. They tried hard, but sorry to say, no greatness there. ! Memories. Big Brother and the Holding Company. Me and my boys also went to those concerts and we from Kalihi too. I wish I could remember more. A lot of military folk, probably future Vietnam vets, guys smoking doobies & a few topless girls. They played three or four consecutive nights and we were close to the stage. Horners anyone? lol. By 1979, a state-appointed citizen's task force asked the state Department of Land and Natural Resources to ban the festivals. That was a big thrill for us that day! They threw it to put together enough money to fund a study on the ambulance service in Hawaii, which then led them to start the first paramedic service there. (Or depending on your age, to Coachella.). The JOURNEY Line-Up : Robert Fleischman (Vocals) Gregg Rolie (Keyboards, Vocals) Neal Schon (Guitars) Ross Valory (Bass) Aynsley Dunbar (Drums). We climbed the crater New Years night before concert. I also collect Hawaii concert posters from the late 60s thru the mid 70s and have some to trade if you or anybody else is interested. After they played it got dark and I was stoned. Then they were a few bucks but still free if you climbed the crater. There was no entrance fee, craft makers were free to set up shop, no cars were allowed in the crater, and all the food sold had to be vegetarian. Steve Ferguson Last seen them the next summer in SFO. Venues. I had just moved to Oahu after three years in Greece and saw this flyer in Waikiki for the Crater Celebration to be held in the Diamond Head crater over the weekend. I think Randy Bauske also worked repair there, under Chris Waidzunas maybe. One word: Elephant., I remember people trying to climb the crater to get in and getting stuck., My first Crater Festival was actually the first one ever in 1970. I have that poster. Better yet, access to invite band members to sail with my friends to Lahaina and jam. Was fun watching the others in the middle of the night below us trying to do the same same thing. $3.00 Gate. Sounded like a Stooka dive bomber. Gabby Pahinui, Sunday Manoa, Country Comfort, Royal Hawaiian Band, & so much more talent. Anyone interested can email me at. Early Risers-More than 250 persons wait outside the entrance to Diamond Head Crater early today for the opening of Leahi '78, a music festival that is to continue until sunset in the crater. @rodney: There was also a 2 day summer crater festival on July 4 and 5, 1975 that was very good. If I recall correctly..it was day 2 when Sly flew into the crater via copter as I was thereCheech & Chong were hilarious..Tower of Power..looked like a military base and yet all were gettin high..wanna take you higher Sly..My GF lived right on Diamond Head so it was a nice walk to the Crater and I loved itmemories~1976 january..3 days of the condor movie was out and I was diggin on Dave Grusin.)). It was a great time with some great music and four finger lids I just remember paying a few dollars maybe 5 but thats all to the first festivals. I had lived in Vail, Colorado and my girlfriends, 6 of us all moved to Hawaii, got jobs for 4 months and went back to college in September. My 2-week-old son was baptized by the Reverend Larry Jones onstage at sunrise. I remember going to one..thats all Im going to say about that. Also attended the Concerts out at the Hawaii Raceway. Remember bein toasted on some elephant weed, when two Marine F-4 pilots came up to me, wanting to buy some acid. July 4th 1974 It was called the Crater Celebration. Who among them gazes across the 175-acre floor of the crater, aware of the wildly divergent segments that mark its history, from battle-ready military zone to hippie mecca, and ultimately to a protected natural park? KKUA 1975 ORIG DIAMOND HEAD CRATER SUNSHINE FESTIVAL CELEBRATION POSTER. I went to quite a few of the Crater Festivals and also collect the posters. At least five tunnels, two for entry and three for battery stations, as well as additional hidden sites of military significance were also erected, including a cable device used to hoist equipment uphill. Other notable acts, Canned Heat, Flo & Eddie and the Turtles. Especially looking for the thin paper poster of Janis Joplin in July 1970. The bands were Richie Havens, Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show, Graham Central Station and Fresh Flavor. Mr Besaws nickname was Buzz. And given Hawaii's usual tolerance, it was not odd that only a handful were arrested. and thanks to Steve for his great historical memory! Got to hand Linda Ronstadt her check at the bank on Monday morning. I remember watching it being built and the performance, but cannot find any info doing a web search. In August 2016, he was succeeded by Igor Zelensky, who led the company until April 2022. crater festival 1978 lineup. Detective Oye Como Va. Im bummed that I missed your guys last gig in December (was in Vegas). Missed the one with the fire. Last updated: 21 Apr 2023, 06:16 Etc/UTC. Hui Ohana Hotels, flights, car rentals, experiences and more! Artist charts. But that doesnt stop me from starting a blog post about the event and having all of you share your memories of attending the Crater Festivals. magic, simply magic. Did a lot of walking around and checking out who we would see from school and other places. Wow, I have heard that name in decades. The state monument welcomes upwards of 3,000 visitors a day, streaming to the summit, eager to capture a golden sunrise, crimson sunset or sweeping panorama of Waikikis skyline. I was working for Mahogany Rush and I was there in 75 I think. I think he might have been just starting out in 50th state wrestling, but I not sure about that. Still remember some of the Artwork they had on the walls. Herbie Hancock Quicksilver Messenger Service and I really remember Santana..Thanks for jogging my memory. Getting businesses all over the islands to put them in their windows was easy think Jane Fondas twin with long blonde hair. Actually convinced my dad to drive us there and to pick us up. It was an all-day happening. Moffatt, an island entertainment promoter for more than 35 years, said the crater festivals were the high point. It was both a musical triumph and a financial disaster as the newspaper articles will confirm. Your band delivered(Keep playing that rock n roll,Colour my world, the whole 9 yards). It was incredible for me when I realized it, as I was a huge fan! Hendrix was supposed to be there but I think he got hung up on Maui. Crater Festival 1971 with Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles was a real eye opener for a young Army draftee who was fortunate to do his time in Hawaii at Fort Shafter. We were all volunteers at the Waikiki Drug Clinic. But, had to leave, be responsible and go to work ( Bobbie McGees, remember it?) I think my dad (Bryan) and 3 other guys were the promoters for the first crater festival (1969, maybe?). Please send them to soulo001@outlook.com Crater Festival. A grad of 73 from Waianae, the rest of your life is still way ahead of you. Menu Deo, Donny; Hi! Please contact me with year and price. "I don't know how well he would have survived in today's musical climate. Who was at the 7th annual Sunshine Festival on Jan. 1, 1975? The Hawaii concert was only their second public appearance together. I remember your band you all were very good. lol. The rest of my memories are pretty faint do to time and the fact that I was toasted most of New Years Eve and all day of the concert. BTW, Cecelio & Kaponos Sunflower is still one of my very favorite songs, ever. Welcome to the MLC blog and thank you for sharing your crater memories with us. It was a perfect overcast Saturday and no wind at all. Flash Cadillac After The Honolulu Advertiser became just a memory, I decided to continue this blog here at Midlife Crisis Hawaii. Sorry, didnt mean to hijack the thread. Hey M, you get the original Tom Sellers poster? Every think where the Hows It Brah got started in Hawaii Nei? Lots of concerts during that time. More than 15,000 people were expected to attend. Recent visitors. Can anybody help? But I was there on the day BTO closed.. Im from Kalihi, Kamehamaha 4th Housing. I remember, 1975 I think, seeing Flo n Eddie and the Turtles. I was 19, with my future wife Joyce who took me to the Islands for the first time. The bands that I heard and impressed me the most were the original Journey(fusion progressive rock, quite heavy stuff). I had never seen my Sis dance before nor since. Screaming, giggles, laughter..shit what a trip. 358 Concerts Diamond Head are an English heavy metal band formed in 1976 in Stourbridge, West Midlands. I guess its true cause Im stone in love with yooouuu. I am looking for a flyer/handbill from the 1970 Jimi Hendrix Aug 1st at the HIC. Sandib@verbaladvantage.com thanks. Elephant was rampant!! Great memories. Saw Santana play and ill never forget it. We were high enough to where no one found us. The Lesson, (UK) - World Premiere . My first Crater Festival was actually the first one ever in 1970. head of the hiking trail. Event held in the crater of Diamond Head on December 31, 1975, and, January 1, 1976. And it was free! I was A Marine stationed @ K-Bay in the mid-70s. 1: Quicksilver Messenger Service: 1 : Big Brother & the Holding Company: 1 : went to the 77 crater festival w/ journey, styx, elvin bishop, flash cadillac and a lot of weed smokin locals! Got a framed poster from the 75 festival hanging on my wall, love it! I worked security at the first one in 1970. This was a life changing experience for a few of us who lived and planned in Honolulu for the many months prior to the December 31-January 1st dates of the actual concert. He didnt show. How could I forget, I managed the Security,for the festivals from 1971 on. Caught the bus home around 10 o clock and met my dad who picked us up at the Umi Street terminal, remember that? They also became more commercial as several were held a year, not just on New Year's. . @snow My guess is that ankles saw himself in one of the pictures above and was having an exteme bad hair day. On one stage there was Styx, and the other Journey, the two lead guitarist was going back and forth challenging each other who can pick the best riffs on the guitars. (When Journey performed in 1977 it was with then-lead singer Robert Fleischman, pre-Steve Perry. Been there but dont remember, 1971 with Buddy Miles and Santana. Remember sitting on edge of crater watching fireworks below in town. i was a little young for the crater festivals when they first started, probably still a little young when they ended! That experience I will never forget..Aloha(: Hi Mike. As the years went by, the festivals stretched on to last two days straight, the participants mushroomed in a haze of smoke. Tom Sellers was a hot illustrator/designer in those days, had a harbor building studio by Aloha Tower. Its English name was derived when 18th-century explorers discovered calcite crystals in the crater and mistook them for diamonds. If anyone has info on this I would love to hear!!! They tore up the course with unreal scores. Whatever happened to Concert One Stop and that whole gang including Noah> Im now 84, but Uncle Tom always had two tickets waiting for me at the boxoffice for all his promotions. Those were good years in Hawaii. Few days later Im in the Crater for an incredible two day show Lydia Pense was fantastic, Flo & Eddie and Turtles were humerous, Fleetwood Mac right after their breakthrough album, Graham Central Station had the place on their feet. Ive never been back. I remember Dr. Hook, and BTO, but dont remember who else was there. Doug Rivera Watch this throwback clip of the scene below and read along to some memories collected by friends and family, and online commenters, who attended the famous Honolulu festivities: .embed-container { position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.25%; height: 0; overflow: hidden; max-width: 100%; } .embed-container iframe, .embed-container object, .embed-container embed { position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100%; }, They would helicopter the big bands into the crater for their performances., Everybody was wanting to say it was the Hawaiian Woodstock. Worked for Easy Music at the time and we did sound at several events in Honolulu.