Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. (You can calculate your high school a GPA here.). It's best to choose challenging classes that focus on the fields in which you're already strong or have a large interest in studying. Here's a checklist of all the major USC admission requirements: As indicated above, certain schools and programs at USC require additional materials from applicants. Will I get into USC with a 1400 SAT score? However, if there is a gap in your enrollment in school (besides a summer break), its a really good idea to respond to this prompt as well. 1. Quick side note: weve created the worlds leading online GRE prep program that adapts to you and your strengths and weaknesses. A collection of news and information for students, alumni and fans of the University of Southern California. If so, the selection process will inevitably tilt towards other criteria. Please contact your intended program directly to determine if they will accept any other standardized tests. What Challenges Did African Americans Face In The Years Immediately After The Brown V. Board Of Education? Want to get into USC or your personal top choice college? Therefore, if your SAT superscore is currently below a 1530, we strongly recommend that you consider prepping for the SAT and retaking it. Will I get into USC with a 1100 SAT score? Is it hard to get into USC graduate school? Hardest UC Schools to Get Into Both featuring acceptance rates well under 20%, UC Berkeley and UCLA are the most competitive of the UC institutions. The ACT composite score range for the middle 50% of students is 32-35. WebHere are eight steps you should take to gain admission to your top-choice graduate programs, regardless of your undergraduate GPA. Pick your test: The average SAT score composite at USC is a 1440 on the 1600 SAT scale. I am a faculty member at a highly-selective liberal arts college, and I rotate on the admissions committee every 5 years or so. In general, USC expects fairly high SAT/ACT scores from strong applicants. Graduates pursuing one of the online masters in education programs must already hold a bachelors degree or foreign equivalent from an accredited university. Download our free guide on the top 5 strategies you must be using to improve your score. You have a very good chance of raising your score, which will significantly boost your chances of getting in. If your GPA is at or below the school average of 3.79, you'll need a higher SAT or ACT score to compensate. hbspt.cta._relativeUrls=true;hbspt.cta.load(360031, 'c8b8e502-c285-4182-9589-5f8ae230e78a', {"useNewLoader":"true","region":"na1"}); Hannah received her MA in Japanese Studies from the University of Michigan and holds a bachelor's degree from the University of Southern California. The 5 Strategies You Must Be Using to Improve 4+ ACT Points, How to Get a Perfect 36 ACT, by a Perfect Scorer. To try to aim for the school's ACT requirement of 34 and above, you should try to take the ACT as many times as you can. See if your SAT score is good enough for admission. The required and optional prompts are as follows: The first prompt is a version of the very popular why this college essay. USC has a higher submitted SAT score (1,445) than UCLA (1,415). This tells you how competitive the school is and how serious their requirements are. WebThe acceptance rate at USC is 13%. (Most schools use a weighted GPA out of 4.0, though some report an unweighted GPA. Is University Of Southern California And Ucla The Same? The social work program is really innovative and doesn't follow traditional boundaries, this program is really influenced by the latest research and social systemic problems that have been brushed under the rug. Because USC is so competitive, and because there are so many applicants applying each year, this school is looking for the best of the best when it comes to applicants. WebWhat well cover in this How to Get Into USC guide: The USC average GPA. ", "I am a perennial student, pursuing my second masters, and had my share of learning experiences. The most popular graduate school I have taken a few classes at my local community college, but as I previously had 'no desire to succeed' my grades were mainly C's, just enough to get by. Thus, most schools will just take your highest ACT score from a single sitting. school's page in our, GPA, Test Scores, and Common Mistakes on a USC Film School Application, How to Get Into Columbia University Film School: Exclusive Advice From the Admissions and Industry and Outreach Departments (Part 1), How to Get an Offer of Study From London Film School (LFS): Tips From the Admissions, Recruitment, Marketing & Workshops teams (Part 1), How to Get Into NFTS, the #1 International Film School: Exclusive Advice From the Admissions Department (Part 1), How to get into Chapman's Dodge College of Film and Media Arts: Tips from the Department of Admissions (Part 1), How to get into FSU's College of Motion Picture Arts: Tips from Paige Roberts, Head of Admissions (Part 1), ***DECISION SEASON SALE*** - Lifetime Supporting Membership $20 off normal price, UCLA TFT - Producers Program (M.F.A.) No doubt. WebWell if you are trying to get in out of highschool any GPA under 3.50 severely hurts your chances. We've gotten tremendous results with thousands of students across the country. It offers excellent educational opportunities in multiple disciplines. Additionally, USC provides a sub concentration in Military Social Work, offered by a civilian research university. These qualities can be illuminated through either academic or non-academic accomplishments, community service/volunteer efforts, or leadership experiences (for example, maybe you're the captain of the track team or you once organized a successful food drive at your school). ", "The education is wonderful and you really get a good sense of the world with it. This guide was written by Harvard graduates and ACT perfect scorers. College is a bigger, brighter place of discovery with lots of fun to be had. USC is a fairly competitive school for graduate applicants. It prepares the student to go out not he field and conquer. I can see the logic of this. If your Reading score is lower than your other sections, prep only for the Reading section, then take the SAT. 19% of applicants send their ACT scores when applying. You'll get updates on our latest articles right on your feed. One thing that strikes me as consistent with my experience is the appreciation of candid and heartfelt expression, and emphasis on the personal over the professional. If you submit test scores, they will be considered with your application, but they are not mandatory. ", "I had a great experience however that was based more on my internship placements than the academics. At least 6 months before applying, you should still doublecheck just to make sure, so you have enough time to take the test. Freshman and transfer application deadline for Regular Decision. This free tools calculates your chanse of getting accepdet to University of Southern California (USC), Please note estimates are based on test scoreand GPA average of previously admitted University of Southern California (USC). This is a very competitive GPA, and USC is clearly accepting students at the top of their high school class. For the SAT and ACT, the highest scores for each section of the exam will be recorded, even if achieved in different sittings. You must take either the SAT or ACT to submit an application to USC. We'll cover more below. Both in state and out of state The acceptance rate at USC is 13%. High educational standards and up to date curriculum are used to prepare students to become productive and efficient professionals upon completion of the program. I would say yes, and I would say the same about my institution (which is not as selective as USC SCA, but has some similar dynamics in the application process). Get the latest articles and test prep tips! Each student is offered a unique educational experience based on their interests and needs, and there are many opportunities to get involved in extra curricular activities in the community and on campus as desired. A Comprehensive Guide. Even better, because of the Superscore, you can focus all your energy on a single section at a time. Like many other private and prestigious universities, says this about applying Early Action to USC, Get Free Guides to Boost Your SAT/ACT Score, what USC writes about applicants on its website, his detailed guide to getting into Harvard, Iovine and Young Academy for Arts, Technology and the Business of Innovation, Marshall School of Business World Bachelor in Business Program, the 25th/75th percentile high school GPA range was 3.82-4.0, take the AP tests that go with these courses, our guide to the most selective schools in the nation, Portfolio, Architecture Writing & Video Supplement, Art/Design Essay, list of creative experiences, portfolio, Proposal video, portfolio, interview (if selected), Video introduction, World Bachelor in Business written prompts (on USC Writing Supplement), Cinematic Arts Personal Statement, writing sample, creative work sample/portfolio, creative portfolio list, video/photo sample, video introduction, aspirational portfolio, image essay, audio portrait, autobiographical character sketch, creative challenges, "Most Challenging Moment" task, project question, collaboration question, Portfolio, which includes: dance resume, short answer, video response to a question, two video auditions and descriptions, three video demonstrations, two photographs (a head shot and an action shot), live audition (if selected, depending on COVID-19 situation), Headshot, drama resume, "Take Three" image task, letter from drama teacher/coach, essay questions, creative submission, pre-screening audition videos, Who Are You? video, portfolio, live audition (depending on COVID-19 situation). Therefore, it's best to aim as high as you can, preferably at least around a 3.85, so you will be above average but won't suffer too badly if you get a B in one or two classes. A great tip to remember as I write my best-selling novel you write your USC essays. This is also known as "superscoring." Although getting a score below USC's 25th percentile threshold doesn't automatically mean you'll be rejected, it does indicate that it'll likely be harder for you to get into USC unless you have other significantly impressive qualities. Scan this QR code to download the app now. If your GPA is below 3.8, you'll most likely have a more difficult time getting into USC. These school-specific essays are just as important as, if not more than, the general USC essays you must write. We are proud to host one of the largest numbers of international students in the United States. In the Top 25 schools in the nation, tied with UCLA and UC Berkeley. (In its way, this is as revealing as Jeffrey Selingos, a MUST READ for any film school application, very informative, showing but not telling, Its interviews like this that truly inspire me to put myself out there. To meet the Harvard requirements, youll have to score primarily As on your high school courses. Many of us tried. Freshman and transfer application deadline for the following majors requiring a portfolio or audition: Cinematic Arts and Music (BFA programs only). Both the SAT and ACT have an optional essay section. Know the requirements. Of all the scores they receive, your application readers will consider your highest section scores across all SAT test dates you submit. All rights reserved. Make sure your portfolio follows all instructions, is 100% original, and is emblematic of your own creative mind, abilities, and goals. Is the evidence of continued commitment to the goal itself part of the road to success? 41% of those admitted chose to enroll in the school. More importantly, you need to do well to have a strong application. Svaja is a content creator with an affinity for written content and video, and has been creating films and writing stories ever since she was in elementary school. Students must apply EA in order to be considered for USC Merit Scholarships, unless their intended major does not participate in Early Action. It may not display this or other websites correctly. I really enjoyed my time there I think it's an incredible environment and I didn't want to leave that behind to be honest. JavaScript is disabled. We know what kinds of students colleges want to admit. For example, if you're a science buff, you could take AP Bio or AP Physics. Is it harder to get into UCLA or USC? When there are twenty highly qualified candidates for every slot, it makes sense to look for the files that are not merely stellar but are, in some striking way, unlike any of the other stellar files. For more information, please see our Student and faculty ratio is great", "USC not provides diversity in it's curriculum content, but rigorous instruction from professors with a wealth of research and experience in a variety of settings. It does allow evaluators to separate the signal of creative vision from the noise of a display of technical competence, even though it seems counterintuitive. You could take 10 tests, and only send your highest one. Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted Perhaps. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Primary data source, U.S. Department of Education https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?id=123961 IPEDS survey data for University of Southern California. WebEven though USC likely says they have no minimum ACT requirement, if you apply with a 30 or below, you'll have a very hard time getting in, unless you have something else very You'll definitely find something useful here. For a complete list, which includes some scholarships that have additional application components, check out this page. WebUSC admissions is very selective with an acceptance rate of 16%. If your GPA is lower than this, you need to compensate with a higher SAT/ACT score. The cost for prospective students to apply to University of Southern California is $85. Most incoming freshmen graduate in the top ten percent of their high school class. Home University Of Southern California What Is The Average Gpa For Usc Graduates? Your application readers will only see that one score. Soo many It sounds simple, but it's actually quite difficult to do. It ranks #7 in California and #38 in the nation for lowest rate of acceptance. Our experts have written hundreds of useful articles on improving your SAT score and getting into college. It is harder to admit to USC than UCLA. WebOf course it depends on the field: these elite schools are pretty damn difficult to get into for undergrad, but at the graduate level, they have some relatively easy to get into programs - anecdotally I've heard it's not too hard to get into education and public health master programs at these top schools - and some like their medical schools How does USC's selectivity compare with those of other top colleges? If you don't pass their SAT/ACT and GPA requirements, they'll likely reject you without much consideration. extremely selective. USC does not require the writing section for either the ACT or the SAT. However, you may still want to consider submitting test scores if you have particularly high scores, or if you feel your scores represent your abilities better than your GPA. The program offers concentrations in a variety of areas, from macro practice to mental health to military social work. Let's take a look. Theyre the most selective and generally the most well-regarded of the UC schools. After crossing this hurdle, you'll need to impress USC application readers through their other application requirements, including extracurriculars, essays, and letters of recommendation. You are using an out of date browser. Get the answer in our guide to the most selective schools in the nation! The job opportunities are very good after graduation. USC will place you anywhere they can. While most USC graduate programs require either GRE or GMAT scores, test requirements may vary by program. ", "There are many pros to my masters program. It takes a lot of time and not everybody can do it. How Hard Is It to Get Into USC? For a school as selective as USC, youll also need to impress them with the rest of your application. 3.69The average GPA at NYU is 3.69. It is merely to suggest that, no matter which process they develop, they will be selecting a few from among many highly qualified candidates. With a GPA of 3.69, NYU requires you to be above average in your high school class. It does make me wonder if committee members at highly selective MFA programs in Photography smile upon those who submit short poems, instead of photographs. The school ranks #15 in California for highest average GPA. The USC application fee is $85 and applications are due by Jan 10. WebPart of the USC Marshall School, the USC Leventhal School of Accounting offers three 1-year graduate programs and one part-time program for working professionals that will take their skills to the next level. The average high school GPA of the admitted freshman class at University of Southern California was 3.83 on the 4.0 scale indicating that primarily A- students are accepted and ultimately attend. Interested students can apply for early action, and the USC early action deadline is November 1. USC is a very selective university with an acceptance rate of just under 12% this means fewer than 1 in 8 students gets accepted. What are USC's admission requirements? We did not find information that USC requires SAT subject tests, and so most likely it does not. See how much your chances improve? For example, say you submit the following 3 test scores: Even though the highest total you scored on any one test date was 1000, USC will take your highest section score from all your test dates, then combine them to form your Superscore. What ACT target score should you be aiming for? Learn more about PrepScholar Admissions to maximize your chance of getting in. Aspiring Trojans who need a leg up in their USC application should use our specialty tutoring advice for the Los Angeles area in their test preparation. If youre looking at acceptance rate alone, then University of Southern California (USC) is more difficult to get into. a 3.0 GPAYou must have a 3.0 GPA (3.4 for non-residents) or higher and no grades lower than a C in required high school courses. What Is a Good SAT Score? In addition to strong numbers (i.e., test scores and grades/GPA), USC wishes to admit applicants with strong "personal qualities." Take your current SAT score and add 160 points (or take your ACT score and add 4 points) to the calculator above. USC is a fairly competitive school for graduate applicants. Click below to learn more about how superscoring critically affects your test strategy. Plug in your numbers to see what your chances of getting in are. Average GPA held steady at an impressive 3.88 unweighted, with more than a third earning straight As throughout high school. Looking at this data alone, we can say with confidence that its generally pretty difficult to get into USC. Is it hard to get into USC grad school? WebThis tool calculates your chances at getting accepted into USC. We offer over 400 highly regarded graduate and professional programs in our liberal arts college and 20 professional schools. If your GPA is lower than this, you need to compensate with a higher SAT/ACT score. Despite its impressive profile, USC is not an Ivy League school. By and large, most colleges do not superscore the ACT. Paul Arnold is an education expert with over 25 years of experience in the field. Students are held accountable for the actions of others, and put in unsafe internships. Heed these next tips so you can be the happy face. Then focus on Math for the next test, and so on. Gaining admission to USC is hard. I am currently 18. As PrepScholar co-founder and perfect SAT/ACT scorer Allen Cheng discusses in his detailed guide to getting into Harvard, USC, like Harvard and other top schools, prefers applicants with "spikes" in their extracurricularsthose with strong passions for specific activities or interests. With a GPA of 3.79, USC At USC, when there are problems, do not look for support from professors, the field team, or deans; It is ironic that this is the school of social work. Will this article inspire a raft of shocking personal statements and photography submissions? All Rights Reserved. How does superscoring change your test strategy? (And an essay on that topic probably would not win acceptance at my venerable but staid institution.). WebCustomize your graduate business learning experience to your career goals, with 1-year to 18-month programs in business analytics, finance, marketing, innovation, social entrepreneurship, global supply chain management and more. If you're currently competitive for USC, you should have no problem getting into these schools. Students were sexually harassed, verbally abused, impede ethics, witness abuse of clients, and were physically unsafe, but USC refused to get them out of their internship. The university received a historic 70,971 applicants for its class of 2025 and admitted 8,804an acceptance rate of just 12%. Here's our custom admissions calculator. At PrepScholar, we've created the leading online SAT/ACT prep program. For every 100 applicants, only 13 are admitted. Striking by its absence: any mention of letters of recommendation. You should definitely follow us on social media. If you're interested in USC, you'll probably be interested in these schools as well. Learn how to ace the SAT with exclusive tips and insights that we share with our private newsletter subscribers. They do not care and do not ensure that the placement is appropriate, even when notified of issues. We encourage you to review our website to learn more about the graduate student experience at USC and to discover which of our academic programs is best suited for your interests. What GPA do you need to get into University of Southern California? I have no doubt they are deeply sincere and do an outstanding job. When Did North Carolina Integrate Schools. Welcome to Graduate Admission at the University of Southern California, one of the worlds leading private research universities. How to Apply. The overall cost of this master program is very expensive. The how-to of being a therapist is only learned at your internship, and your internship is suppose to be a classroom experience. I recently visited the campus and fell in love with the school, it is my goal now to try and attend this school. Paul is passionate about helping students learn and grow, and he has written extensively on the topic of education. I'm Cary Hardy, an education expert and consultant. Copyright by Peterson's Data. Youll need nearly straight As in all your classes to compete with other applicants. Is there an element of luck? What ACT target score should you be aiming for? The agencies, student, and USC sign contracts, but it does not protect the students. simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film But first, how hard is it to get into USC? The first time I was waitlisted. In addition to doing well in classes, strong applicants will have excelled in a rigorous academic program, particularly in classes relevant to their intended majors. This is the average, which means that some applicants submit GPAs lower than this and some applicants submit GPAs above this level. The general education classes are mostly a joke. The University of Southern California (USC) has the distinction of being the oldest private research university in California. However, what attracts applicants to the school today are its world-class education, beautiful campus, and idyllic setting in Los Angeles. How Hard Is It to Get Into USC? Gaining admission to USC is hard. Here's how USC's official news website describes its student body: "The average unweighted GPA is 3.91, which represents a historic high. Each school has different requirements for standardized testing. You can compensate for a lower GPA with harder classes, like AP or IB classes. Our application process is designed to discover your individual story, so that we might see how you would take advantage of the many opportunities available at USC. Freshman application deadline for all other majors (without merit scholarship consideration), Applicants selecting Early Action will be notified of their admission or deferral to Regular Decision, Transfer application deadline for all other majors (without merit scholarship consideration), Transfer Priority Deadline to submit the FAFSA and CSS Profile for need-based financial aid consideration, Cal Grant application deadline (for California residents), Freshman Regular Decision applicants will be notified of their admission decision, (For transfer applicants) Last day by which final admission notifications will be sent out, (For transfer applicants) Last day by which scholarship status notifications will be sent out. 80-100%: Safety school: Strong chance of getting in, 20-50%: Lower but still good chance of getting in, 5-20%: Reach school: Unlikely to get in, but still have a shot, 0-5%: Hard reach school: Very difficult to get in. WebThe overall acceptance rate for University of Southern California was reported as 11.4% in Fall 2020 with over 66,200 applications submitted to USC. Its a different mindset. LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) The University of Southern California isnt just one of the most competitive colleges in the U.S. its also one of the nations top party schools, according to rankings released Wednesday. Meeting their GPA requirements and SAT/ACT requirements is very important to getting past their first round of filters and proving your academic preparation. We did more detailed research into this school's admissions process and found the following information: USC has various majors and programs (including Architecture, Arts, Business, and Music) that require additional application compoenents. Professors are knowledgeable and passionate. Youll need to do your research to find out whether the graduate programs youre interested in have specific requirements regarding GPAs. Our new student and parent forum, at ExpertHub.PrepScholar.com, allow you to interact with your peers and the PrepScholar staff. Subscribe to our newsletter to get FREE strategies and guides sent to your email. USC admission statistics. Get the latest articles and test prep tips! Thanks for reading! Meanwhile, for the ACT, most applicants have a minimum score of 30, or the 93rd percentile nationally. Schools vary in their SAT subject test requirements. Average GPA held steady at an impressive 3.88 unweighted, with more than a third earning straight As throughout high school. Looking at this data alone, we can say with confidence that its generally pretty difficult to get into USC. We want to get you admitted to your dream schools. USC does not orient the agencies, and the agencies do not understand their responsibilities. Admission competition is very high and the college has elite admission standards. What are my chances of getting into USC graduate school? WebUSC admissions is very selective with an acceptance rate of 16%. Don't hide your true feelingsif USC is your first choice for college, let them know! I recommend USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. This makes NYU Strongly Competitive for GPAs. 4.18 or aboveMost students admitted to Harvard have an unweighted GPA of 4.18 or above, so youll need to have at least a 4.2 to be seriously evaluated. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. We've overseen thousands of students get into their top choice schools, from state colleges to the Ivy League.