According to a recent Federal Emergency Management Agency report, fewer people are "prepping" today compared to previous years. ), I was grinning from ear to ear. I love 28-gauge shotguns, but it takes dedicated effort to make a reliable semiauto 28. When you shoot a steady diet of 3-inch shells through a lightweight 12-gauge inertia gun, you feel it. I used the Improved Cylinder choke tube, but the more open Cylinder tube would have probably been better at close ranges. I must say I was really pleased by Instead of using a traditional blued-steel vent rib soldered on the barrel, the Benelli ETHOS incorporates an interchangeable carbon-fiber rib. This allows the user to do a couple of things. If you want to change the rib height, it is easy to do. If you damage the rib, it is easy to replace The Benelli has a comfortable large bolt handle and bolt release but (thankfully) spares us the oversized, industrial-looking controls found on some other shotguns. The trigger group can be removed for cleaning by pushing out a single retaining pin. Copyright 2023 National Rifle Association. the best workout we could during the morning teal hunts. The rugged ETHOS Cordoba is designed to excel in the most punishing of hunting conditions and now comes equipped with Benelli's bulletproof BE.S.T. This allows the user to comply with various local game laws that may limit the round capacity of your shotgun. In terms of operation, the ETHOS works the same as earlier Benelli inertia guns. Thats important for sporting clays shooters who may shoot thousands of rounds in a monthor in a week. Note: It is recommended that all parts be installed by a qualified and trained gunsmith. The gun gets part of its name from the Benelli Surface Treatment (BE.S.T. While the gun is purpose-built for high volume doves, there is absolutely no reason the Ethos Cordoba BE.S.T. The action cycled with every load I tried, including some 7/8-ounce handloads made for an over-under shotgun that had a velocity of just 1,188 fps. ), essentially a high-tech graphite treatment that provides rust and abrasion protection and has been tested in high-saline environments. Also, the gun shot high for us, so Id be unlikely to stretch its versatility too far by taking it turkey hunting. I am typically not a bead watcher-I often remove them-but on long-range pigeons one day in the Orange Free State, I found switching from red to yellow upped my hit percentage by about 10 percent. There are a number of seemingly small ergonomic improvements as well that add up to improved accessibility. The trigger pull on my gun averaged 6 pounds, 1/2 ounce, which is a little heavy, but it was crisp and without a lot of travel, so it felt good when shooting the gun. There were no bird seasons open when I tested the Ethos Sport, but I shot it on skeet, sporting clays, and targets thrown by my Do All Outdoors trap in the back pasture. Thus, the Inertia Driven System action results in a lighter-weight, well-balanced shotgun that the shooter can swing with ease over a long days shooting. A Real Looker Like every Ethos model, the Sport is a real looker. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7c06cd047bae9b98 Introducing the Veracity PH from Burris, the perfect combination of reliability, quality, and technology delivering a simple aiming solutiona tool for the hunter that just works. We use cookies to give you the best possible user experience & to analyze traffic. Oversized controls are the hottest trend in shotguns. The 28-gauge Cordoba features a 3-inch chamber. treatment, help make this a rugged, reliable shotgun you can take anywhere and hunt almost anything with. There are other inertia semiautos on the market featuring Cerakote (maybe not as good as BE.S.T., but also durable) that cost quite a bit less money than this gun. Learn more . Helpfully, the ejection port on the Ethos is open at its bottom, meaning the bolt handle need not be removed for basic disassembly. Looking through the manual, I did not see directions for removing the magazine plug. After all the smoke cleared, with a massive pile of spent hulls around my blind and a tiny pile of pigeons (can you even call less than a Baker's Dozen of pigeons a pile? At least for now, the stock and fore-end are walnut. An aching cheek is one of the first injuries to sideline an Argentine dove hunter, and tired arms (ever mount a heavy 12-gauge 1,200 times a day?) "When you load your M1, do you slam the bolt closed?" There may be a plastic magazine cap at the end of the tube. WebFree Shipping Included Carlson's Remington 870 1100 1187 12 Ga 10 Shot Magazine Tube Extension - #04504 $63.59 $76.95 | 17% OFF TacStar Tactical Rail Mount SideSaddle Fits Mossberg 500 & 590 12 Gauge 1081029 $55.19 $112.98 | 51% OFF TacStar Tactical Shotgun Front Grip (Mossberg 500 590 Maverick 88's) - 1081151 $39.79 $49.99 | 20% OFF 0 Our editors have hand-picked these essential pieces of gear to make you a more successful hunter when you hit the game trails this season. At 35 yards with a Modified choke, the gun put 82 percent of a 3-inch, 1 1/8-ounce, 1550-fps Federal Speed-Shok shell inside a 30-inch circle. Radial vs. Directional Muzzle Brakes: Which Is Best? Download the appropriate manual for your Benelli shotgun or rifle. Sign In The buttstock has Benellis excellent Progressive Comfort recoil-reduction system that really works. :@/d`(-8J Benelli Cordoba shotguns come in 12-, 20- and 28-gauge. Its a feature developed for South American dove fields where you can easily lose track of how many shells youve fired. During six days of shooting, 14 pre-production guns fired 17,000 rounds. NRA Publications Editorial Director John Zent took a serious fall while grouse hunting with the sample Ethos, gouging the stock and cracking the rib. Type. The wind was howling, and the fine dust from the plowed fields coated every surface of the guns inside and out. The outsized operators manual offers clear instruction on how to change drop and cast (in no fewer than eight languages), so I wont go into detail here other than to say the process is simple and straightforward. Go Premium to recieve the follwing benefits: Already a subscriber? Available in different sizes and red dot ready, it'll fit your needs, whatever they are. Inertia-Driven System Benchmark of Reliability. The fore-end is well-shaped with a thumb groove that rises through its middle, and its underside is checkered. The Ethos Sports barrel is cryogenically treated through Benellis Crio System to -300 degrees Fahrenheit. Over the course of a week, 14 shooters fired nearly 17,000 rounds. As it moves rearward, it compresses the central fingers against those on the outside. By The blend of modern and traditional continues with the barrel rib, which is of gray and black carbon fiber-a light weight material that enhances the guns dynamics. With the Ethos, the new and unobtrusive Progressive Comfort system changes how the recoil is transmitted and perceived. We pair this with the longer four-round magazine to increase capacity, but also intentionally to add a little weight for balance, swing, and recoil reduction. Next to the new easy-locking action, the stock is the most notable difference on the ETHOS from previous Benelli shotguns. Give a Gift If you are so inclined, it would certainly be up to the task.) Mikey Hartman, Lt. Col. Radical in design with its polymer lower half, it had lines that are, charitably speaking, modern. When I first saw it, I asked Is it supposed to look that way? The Ethos, on the other hand, looks as a shotgun should to my tastes; the lines, rendered in blue steel and walnut, are modern, elegant, sleek and clean. Upon firing, the discharging shotshell pushes back on the rotating bolt head, compressing the inertia spring. Also mitigating recoil is the semisoft black rubber ComforTech cheekpiece on the comb that softens the blow to the shooters cheek. The lack of battering was a testament to the excellent engineering behind the newest shotgun from Benelli: the Ethos. The polished black anodized cover mates up with a recess in the matte lower receiver, also of aluminum. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. Remove the magazine cap and the 3 shot plug from the magazine tube. And, its certainly not a gun youre going to wear out anytime soon, so your initial investment might be spread out over two or three generations. Edited January 23, 2013 by XTrooper benelliwerkes (Ret.) Speaking of adjustments, three recoil pad inserts are offered, providing lengths of pull of 13.8 inches, 14.5 inches or 15 inches. At the end of the bolts travel, the case hits the ejector, and the empty is ejected. In fact, our 12 gauge with a 28-inch barrel weighed just 6 pounds, which is no heavier than many 20 gauges. To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. The Ethos was the first Benelli gun to feature the Easy Locking bolt that eliminates out-of-battery misfires by means of a simple detent pin. One feature found on the original Cordoba that hasnt made its way to the new version is GripTight, the synthetic overcoating that gave the stock a tacky surface for improved grip. Description: Montefeltro, Sport, Legacy & Ethos 3-Round Magazine Plug. | Benelli ETHOS Cordoba BE.S.T. The Ethos represents a step forward in semi-automatic shotguns, not only for the engineering innovation present in its design, but for its elegant lines and traditional appearance. We then use barrel porting to reduce muzzle flip and allow faster follow up shots. The Ethos Cordoba BE.S.T. Although you could shoot targets with it in a pinch, the guns light weight would make it hard to shoot well, and that weight, combined with inertia operation would make it recoil harder than a heavier gas semiauto. The wind was howling, and the fine dust from the plowed fields coated every surface of the guns inside and out. WebParts listed here are specific to the Benelli Ethos semi-auto shotgun model chambered in 12, 20 or 28 gauge unless otherwise noted. The Ethos Sport is offered in 12, 20, and 28 gauges and comes with 28- and 30-inch barrels. No problem, glad to help. Enjoy your new gun! All the edges where a shooters fingers interact with the gun have been radiused, including the magazine well, the loading port and the ejection port. And the action stayed clean as a whistle over many rounds. To demonstrate this feature, the bolt was slowly closed, and at the moment where normally the bolt would hang up just out of battery, it rotated clockwise and locked into the receiver. Benelli Ethos 12 Gauge Magazine Tube Plug, Benelli Ethos 12ga. JavaScript is not enabled on your browser - our site will not work for you as intended. Your IP: They were way faster than I had thought. Gauge/Caliber. I was wrong. Called the Easy Locking System, which enhances the Inertia Driven System, Benelli slightly changed the bolt body on the ETHOS and added a detent mechanism that allows the bolt to engage when closed slowly as well as to re-engage itself if it comes out of battery. I have done similar treatments myself on my 3-Gun competition shotguns, but I wasn't sure it would make much of a difference on a bird gun. The Ethos has a two-piece receiver that makes it resemble the SBE3, but it is not just a 3-inch SBE 3 with a different name. And it looked good, too. Publisher, Kevin Steele is with Brett Marquardt from Streamlight Inc. discussing the new Streamlight Pro Tac 2.0, the latest edition in the Pro Tac series. I think during the frenzy of the dove season opener, having the ability to quickly determine how many shells are in place would be a real benefit. Numerous times editor Mike Schoby had to open the bolts to cross a fence and reload on the other side never once did any of the actions fail to automatically return to battery on the, Instead of using a traditional blued-steel vent rib soldered on the barrel, the, After the hunt, editor Mike Schoby was grinning from ear to ear. The tried and true-and often copied-Benelli basics remain. Phil Bourjaily Unlike some of the guns more high-volume specific features like the shell view, the BE.S.T. Of course, not all Cordoba shotguns will end up in the dove fields of Argentina, but the Comfort Tech 3 system helps reduce recoil impact during long days on the clays course or when shooting heavy waterfowl magnums. It was an ideal place to test the ETHOS. Overall, recoil seemed light for a gun that weighs only 6 pounds, 10 ounceseven with the full-strength Federal Gold Medal Grand loads with 11/8 ounces of shot at 1,245 fps. Please enable Javascript and refresh the page for a safe, secure, and complete shopping experience at Midwest Gun Works. They help, but while you can cheat the laws of physics, you cant change them, and light guns kick more than heavier guns. The trigger group can be removed for routine cleaning and maintenance by pushing out the single retaining pin located above the trigger guard. The controls, all designed for marathon dove shoots, made the gun a pleasure to load and operate, and as I said, try though we might, we couldnt make the gun misfire. ?} YP Cordoba shotguns are named for the Cordoba Province in Argentina, the center of the high-volume dove hunting universe. 209.159.144.170 Brand: Benelli - Remove Filter; Brand. $79.99. Benelli filter applied; see all. Despite its feathery weight, the ETHOS is easy to shoulder and has essentially no noted recoil thanks to its Progressive Comfort pad and ported barrel. hbbd```b``>"H&0&Adj'-&oC`-`v1 I have experienced high-volume bird hunting in Argentina, and the lack of a beating allowed by the Ethos was a pleasant surprise. has a soft comb and buttpad and vibration-reducing chevrons in the stock and ports in the barrel. Porting reduces muzzle lift some and adds a measure of style, but I dont know that the reduction in muzzle rise offsets the increase in volume. I know the Ethos Sport is primarily meant for a clays course, but after a shooter becomes familiar with the way it shoots, I cant think of any reason not to follow a fine pointer through the uplands and whack a brace of quail, partridge, or whatever else is in season. Joseph Von Benedikt is with Rafe Nielsen of Browning to take a look at a new X-Bolt series rifle. Click to reveal The ETHOS Cordobas trigger averaged 5.2 pounds for 10 tests, better than most of its rivals. as one of the guns to put through the wringer in our waterfowl gun test last September at Pintail Hunting Club in Garwood, Texas. While not as fast and furious as dove shooting in Argentina, it was close, and the conditions were quite a bit tougher on the guns. The receiver is nickel-plated and has a beveled loading port for faster loading, a redesigned shell carrier, and a two-part carrier latch that smoothly guides the shell into the magazine. as it was with heavier guns. Benelli believes so strongly in this treatment that they warranty BE.S.T. Our test gun had a 28-inch barrel, and I would be tempted to choose the longer 30-inch barrel for a little extra weight forward balance. The "grit test," as we soon began calling it, should have been enough to stop up any gun, and if it had, we would have forgiven it. The walking guinea shoot was just like pheasant hunting in South Dakota. The sling swivel studs, too, are more important to waterfowlers than they are to most dove hunters. last September during the early teal season in Texas. WebBenelli 80225 H2O 3-Shot Magazine Extension Kit for Nova/Supernova Models (2) Total Ratings 2. Benelli used Computer-Aided Engineering to make the precise calculations required to achieve the desired result and says this special comb pad reduces felt recoil by about 48 percent. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies. Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. Okay, the Ethos Sport looks great, but how does it shoot? The Inertia Driven System is reliable and fast. pullStock: AA-grade European walnut with ComforTech Plus: length of pull, 1438"; drop at comb, 1"; drop at heel, 178"Chokes: interchangeable Crio chokes: cylinder, improved cylinder, modified, improved modified and fullSights: interchangeable fiber-optic front bead, white metal mid-rib beadAccessories: five choke tubes, choke-tube wrench, fitted plastic hard case, oil bottle, shim kit for changing cast and drop and magazine plug (other buttpads and comb inserts available at extra cost)Suggested Retail Price: $1,999 (tested); $2,199 (engraved nickel-plated receiver). Magazine springs are compressed at all times. Then I worked out the lead. But do you know how to properly use them? Ports are said to increase the noise level, but if they did, I didnt notice it. Publisher of Petersen's HUNTING magazine, Kevin Steele is at the Steiner Optics booth with Alberto Corbetta to discuss the Predator 4 and Predator 8. This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. My M1 Field, bought 15 years ago, has churned through thousands of rounds and withstood filthy hunting conditions and a consistent lack of cleaning that only a lazy gun writer can inflict. I'll say this, I just got a Sport 2 also and the procedure from removing the magazine plug is very different than from the Super Black Eagle -- it endstream endobj 17 0 obj <>>>/Metadata 3 0 R/Outlines 7 0 R/Pages 14 0 R/Type/Catalog>> endobj 18 0 obj <>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageC]/XObject<>>>/Rotate 0/Type/Page>> endobj 19 0 obj <>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text]>>/Subtype/Form/Type/XObject>>stream Like all Ethos models, the new Sport has Benellis innovative Inertia Driven System that is simplicity itself. Also, there is a white metal mid-rib bead, and there are three colors of fiber-optic inserts (red, yellow and green) for the Ethos front bead. These models represent everything that Benelli stands for: quality, performance, comfort, and technology adding up to total reliability.. Comfort Tech 3 utilizes chevrons inside the stock that compress when the gun is fired and act as a cushion to absorb much of the rearward recoil impact.