Was he playing thru injuries? And Canterino, maybe, but there are some really good pitching prospects in Triple-A too, several on the 40-man roster. RHP Tyler Viza (27) - Signed with Twins just last week. Any time you are at a game and see something interesting I would like to see a comment from you. He has developed into a very exciting prospect. Time to lace up baseball cleats, pick up a bat and play ball. I agree with your first sentence, completely. Josh Winder #14, Cole Sands #15 and Dakota Chalmers #30. He ended the season last year by DHing for the Wind Surge in the playoffs. Wichita tallied 729 runs. He just won't be added to the 40-man roster. Many thanks to him. 1B - Bechtold played there a lot last year. Good to see Tyler Beck back on the mound again. So much has changed in our system. Perhaps most importantly, it builds upon the seminal work of Ed Washuta, who Final Sat, Apr 29. Paste as plain text instead, 27 Apr 2023 15:56:06 51 Mitchell Osnowitz. Thanks. It incorporates the work of many stalwart baseball Vivas hit two home Softball America. A founder and owner of Twins Daily, Seth has been a Twins fan for 40 years and has a passion for covering the minor leagues and prospects. BA Newsletter: Get Analysis, Rankings Delivered To Your Inbox! How about you? The Wichita Wind Surge are a Minor League Baseball team of the Texas League and the Double-A affiliate of the Minnesota Twins.They are located in Wichita, Kansas, and began play in 2021 at Riverfront Stadium.. 04/30/23. Not sure the starters can go enough innings for this team to be as good as last year. 78-59, 729 Runs, 627 Runs Allowed. But he's mostly aged 1B and DH and the bat doesn't look special enough for that role going forward. WICHITA, Kan. (Release) - In conjunction with the Minnesota Twins, the Wichita Wind Surge are pleased to announce their 2023 Opening Day Roster, which . The Wind Surge, whose name is a reference to Wichita's status as "air capital of the world," finally played their first game at Riverfront Stadium on May 11, 2021. Edgar Escobar received the loss for Springfield. He had Tommy John surgery shortly after the 2021 season and was excited that he would be full-go to start this season. Or did they have opt outs and are gone? We will bring Utterly. Recall that the Twins signed three catchers this winter to MiLB contracts, all of whom had a fair amount of big league time. But they've invested in him. Wait until we see the Cedar Rapids final roster. @ Wichita Wind Surge: Scheduled: Sep 13, 5:05 PM @ Wichita Wind Surge: Scheduled: Sep 14, 5:05 PM @ Wichita Wind Surge: Scheduled: Sep 15, 5:05 PM @ Wichita Wind Surge: Scheduled: Sep 16, 4:05 PM . Proud Double-A Affiliate of the @Twins. On the surface there isn't much here besides Lee and Festa. Subscribe to Stathead Baseball: Get your first month FREEYour All-Access Ticket to the Baseball Reference Database. #1 - Brooks Lee (estim. He had a nice showing in the Arizona Fall League, mostly playing first base. Lacking the higher end talent depth we saw there last year but there are guys who could rise especially on the pitching side. He started the season in Ft. Myers, moved up to Cedar Rapids, and ended with a few outings for the Wind Surge. Also quite interested to see the progression of Festa as I saw him pitch in Cedar Rapids last year. Ed Bailey Courtesy After being . Fajardo and Smith were both selected in the minor-league portion of the Rule 5 draft. Wil Holland is also high on my list. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are the property of Minor League Baseball. 33 Joe Kuzia. [15] Wichita began competition in the new league on May 4 with a 20 victory over the Springfield Cardinals at Hammons Field in Springfield, Missouri. Plus I really don't see him staying in AA too long. Located in Wichita, Kansas, the team will play its inaugural season in 2021. If Enlow is in the pen, I like McMahon, Enlow and German. Schulfer and X? Display as a link instead, Watched a lot of the Wichita games on MiLB last summer and to be honest, wasn't that impressed with Martin. Brooks Lee, a 22-year-old shortstop who was the No. I'm really looking forward to getting to as many games as possible and watching with a closer eye toward the development. A command and control guy, Adams was hitting 97 mph by the end of last year. Has Gray done enough for this promotion? By Seth Stohs. 04/02/23. While Cardenas might have the better bat potential from the same draft, Winkel has been a level above him and held his own offensively so far. Your previous content has been restored. I'm looking into IL spots those names haven't been given. He's got three solid pitches, but it comes with a fastball that routinely hit 97 and 98 mph a year ago and touched 99. 40 Man Roster Depth Chart Coaches Top 30 Prospects Transactions Injury Updates Front Office Broadcasters Minor League Affiliates. Prato broke out in 2022. Twins released Greiner and Sisco at the end of March. I hope that means more catching for Isola. I was also surprised to see Enlow as a reliever now. Athletic guys. He moved up to Double-A late and was just getting going when a pitch hit his wrist and ended his season. Just two catchers in Wichita to start the season. While I don't doubt he'll see some innings there, as many do, I'm betting he's really in the rotation plans. I don't understand the Giants making Armani Smith available. Nigro is not on the active roster. Their debut marked the first Minor League Baseball game in Wichita - and the entire state of Kansas - since the Texas League Wichita Wranglers played their final season in 2007. I'm sure Holland and Prato will be out there a lot even though they are listed as IF's. The Wichita Wind Surge Baseball Club is a minor league baseball team and an affiliate of the Minnesota Twins. @Twins. Hoping he is ready as the Texas league isn't easy on pitchers. I think the INF is the strength of the club and Lee makes it pretty good by himself. The Cardinals scored three runs in the ninth but fell short of a comeback. I think Severino gets overlooked a lot. He had a couple of inside-the-park homers. The Wind Surge adjusted a game time in May, Saturday May 20th will be a 6:05 start. A command and control guy, Adams was hitting 97 mph by the end of last year. Not sure what to think about the pen. Win Expectancy, Run Expectancy, and Leverage Index calculations provided by Tom Tango of InsideTheBook.com, and co-author of The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball. Probably some piggy-backing and quite possibly a 6 man rotation to start the season though. He wasn't exactly a late round pick. TWINS DAILY TOP 20 PROSPECTS SS Ernie . Roster Moves: April 27th, 2023. I think Keirsey has a real shot if he can build on what he did last year. Other than Festa, I think this is the weakest AA team the Twins have fielded by far .. Can their 40 man really be that full? 14.5K Followers. [14] They were placed in the Double-A Central. I was pretty high on his bat last year but everyone seemed pretty sure he couldn't stick at catcher. Wichita, KS - In conjunction with the Minnesota Twins, the Wichita Wind Surge are pleased to announce their 2021 Opening Day Roster, which features five Top 30 Twins prospects according to MLB.com. Schulfer played for the Double-A Wichita Wind Surge in 2021 and had a 6-8 record with a 4.34 ERA in 24 starts. He's a big dude with tremendous power potential, kind of in the Franmil Reyes mold. Martin should be in MN as the starting LF, or in AAA. He will be, but he's never shown it. We present them here for purely educational purposes. Relief Pitchers: Tyler Beck, Michael Boyle, Jose Bravo, Jordan Brink, Chad Donato, Blayne Enlow, Osiris German, Hunter McMahon, Seth Nordlin, Alex Scherff. Outfielders: Yoyner Fajardo, DaShawn Keirsey, Jr., Armani Smith, and Alerick Soularie. Catcher Coach: Joe Mangiameli. Can either one do well enough on the reverse to make them into major league catchers? Wichita Wind Surge Roster & Staff. Wichita, KS In conjunction with the Minnesota Twins, the Wichita Wind Surge are pleased to announce their 2021 Opening Day Roster, which features five top-30 Twins prospects according to MLB.com. The data is based on the last 50 completed orders. He has struggled with the bat early in the season, but he is also one of the 10-youngest players in the Midwest League. Single Game Tickets Twins . RHP Cory Lewis assigned to Fort Myers Mighty Mussels from FCL Twins. I dont need to see it for myself. When their season ended, he was promoted to the Saints for the final couple of weeks of their season. Baseballprojection.com Hopefully it will be very tough to crack the big league roster for awhile as you say but AA is going to still be crucial to watch. Lee is the star of the team. Means they are the baseball "Dudes" that every team needs . Latest Twins coverage from our writers 1 prospect Brooks Lee ripped a go-ahead three-run double to right-center in the 8th inning for the Wichita Wind Surge. He is now further from the Tommy John and should be full-go this year. Catchers: Alex Isola, Patrick Winkel Wichita answered sending nine batters to the plate in the eighth scoring five runs to take the lead. The next step is caringforit. The team will have two Top 20 prospects including the #1 overall Twins prospect Brooks Lee. Date. The Wind Surge will carry three catchers: David Banuelos, Nick Garland and Roy Morales. He had been a really good prospect as a starter, but injuries derailed that a bit. itching is what wins, right? 4/29/2023 10:15PM PDT. Wichita scored four answered runs, giving them. But like you said, trading away Hajjar and Povich hurts this team. He should do the majority of the catching. Promotion: Kids take over night, youth hats give away for the first 1,000 kids and fireworks presented by Mel Hambleton Ford. 1 prospect Brooks Lee ripped a go-ahead three-run double to right-center in the 8th inning for the Wichita Wind Surge Tickets. I remain baffled he's in AA and Lewis is in AAA. Wichita State athletics beat reporter. These guys in Wichita may have only a half a year to show that they are worth keeping or the mid-season call-ups from Cedar Rapids will push them out. The pitching side is loaded with Canterino, SWR, Vallimont and Varland. Pitching Coaches: Pete Larson, Dan Urbina Wichita 9-11. The Wind Surge play their first home game at Riverfront Stadium on Tuesday, April 11. Maybe our hopes of Isola catching 3 days a week aren't going to come to fruition. It contains data culled from Their debut marked the first Minor League Baseball game in Wichita - and the entire state of Kansas - since the Texas League Wichita Wranglers played their final season in 2007. He moved up to Double-A late and was just getting going when a pitch hit his wrist and ended his season. Roster moves: Pitcher Ryan Sublette was added from . The Wichita Wind Surge announced their 2022 Opening Day Roster, which features seven top-30 Twins prospects according to MLB.com. for their extensive efforts to collect the raw data and construct the There's a slight chance Wichita fans could see Wainwright throw again in Sunday's 1 p.m. series finale between Springfield and the Wind Surge if the Cardinals determine he needs one more rehab start before joining the major-league rotation. Wichita opens the season on Thursday . 46 Brandon Koch. Perhaps not for an extended run, but he has demonstrated that he can hit (at least some ). He had a solid showing in his first big-league camp. Teams Roster, Player Batting, Pitching, and Fielding Statistics, Team Record and additional information. Cole Sturgeon (30) - former 10th round pick of the Red Sox in 2014, he remained in their organization through 2019. appears here. Another poor season could result in a DFA. I hope that means more catching for Isola. Probable pitchers: . The most pivotal player, imo, career wise is Sabato. Watch our How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine. But with young players like, ,Lewis, Julian, Miranda, Krilloff, Larnach, Wallner; and Lee with Correa and Buxton locked down long term, who gives a **** .. Other than Festa, I think this is the weakest AA team the Twins have fielded by far. Other than Festa, I think this is the weakest AA team the Twins have fielded by far .. Published: Apr. Lots of other starting options. Copyright 2023 Baseball America Enterprises. 1.5 Wichita Wind Surge. Likewise, Gray, Holland, Prato, Sabato and Severino all spent the final month or more in Wichita last year. For dessert, we return to Winston-Salem. Pitchers Players: Coaches/Other: Pitchers. 21 Jason Garcia. But he's going to provide thump in the lineup, and that's a positive. Recent Twins discussion in our forums Can their 40 man really be that full? There are 15 pitchers and 13 position players. [7], Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Wind Surge were scheduled to begin their inaugural season on the road playing against the Round Rock Express on April 8, 2020,[8] and to play their first home game on April 14 against the Memphis Redbirds. The organization is very high on him. At Tacoma's Cheney Stadium, a statue of namesake Ben Cheney sits in the stands. Upload or insert images from URL. Prato broke out in 2022. On 4/4/2022 at 11:35 AM, nicksaviking said: On Saturday, Salas went 2-for-4 and stole his sixth base of the season. Bringing you closer to the Shockers you love and inside the sports you love to watch. Time to lace up baseball cleats, pick up a bat . He has played for three independent teams over the past two seasons. Twins Fantasy Fix (4/30): Time to Worry About Carlos Correa? Wichita Transactions. Canterino on the long-term IL? Wichita scored four answered runs, giving them a 4-2 advantage. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. Current Greats: . Also quite interested to see the progression of Festa as I saw him pitch in Cedar Rapids last year. I don't pay too much attention to relief prospects before they make it AA, but you gotta be excited about the velocity. Hard to picture a offensive-first player who hasn't provided a lot of offense at a offensive defensive position (that's easy to say/think/type) getting selected. The Wichita Wind Surge roster had 28 players on it. This was the one level I've been "concerned" about as I think it lacks a degree of talent and depth due to past trades and other promotions, and some younger players not yet ready. Join Now. TWINS DAILY TOP 20 PROSPECTS COACHING STAFF 3,219/game), Pythagorean W-L: All other membership plans have been reduced, with the . His OBP has been good along with the occasional power production, but his propensity to whiff at a "Sano-esque" rate is alarming. Wichita Wind Surge placed OF Alerick Soularie on . You cannot paste images directly. Transactions More rosters: MiLBTexas League April 27, 2023 But with young players like, ,Lewis, Julian, Miranda, Krilloff, Larnach, Wallner; and Lee with Correa and Buxton locked down long term, who gives a **** .. Other than Festa, I think this is the weakest AA team the Twins have fielded by far. Of the five top-30 prospects who will begin the season in Wichita, three are slated to take the hill for the Surge. Upload or insert images from URL. I love that they are giving Isola a chance to catch more (I'm one that said he can't stick at catcher if he's playing there less than 25% of the games played). It appears in its original form at He made 15 appearances and had a 0.39 ERA before earning a promotion to the Triple-A St. Paul Saints. Tweets. I guess so, even though he didn't set the world on fire since being a pretty high draft choice, with a mediocre 2022 probably being his best season so far. That would make him eligible for the Rule 5 draft. There are some terrific prospect on this roster, and there are some great stories as well. Keirsey - I would like to see him step up and be a great outfielder. TULSA, OK - Entering Sunday's contest with Wichita, Tulsa Drillers second baseman Jorbit Vivas was enjoying one of the best starts to a season by any hitter in Minor League Baseball. You must use your email address instead of your display name in order to log in. Do you have a sports website? I think the bullpen will be good. 13 Zach Neff. The club also has Yennier Cano, Calvin Faucher, Tom Hackimer, Hector Lujan, Ryan Mason, Josh Mitchell, Jovani Moran, Zachary Neff, Alex Phillips, Bryan Sammons, Cole Sands, Austin Schulfer and Joshua Winder. According to today's transaction list, Frank Nigro (another catcher) got assigned to Wichita. Wichita Wind Surge Release 2023 Promotional Schedule Posted on Wednesday March 01, 2023. Kody Funderburk is a little underrated in the system, but he's one to watch. Still not sold on the amount of upside across the roster, but there is talent here. Martin, Wallner, Julien, Steer, and Keirsey should provide some fireworks. Recall that the Twins signed three catchers this winter to MiLB contracts, all of whom had a fair amount of big league time. Five prospects likely to open in the Double-A Southern League to pay close attention to in the first months of the season. So that's where we'll start. He is one of the more respected people in the organization. The Official Site of the Wichita Wind Surge. Lee headlined the roster announcement for the Wind Surge on Sunday, which included 28 players 15 pitchers and 13 position players for the 2023 season. There are 15 pitchers and 13 position players. So, them going to Triple A shouldn't be seen as a negative at all. 15 hours ago, Copyright 2023 DiamondCentric You can post now and register later. Museum would like to acknowledge Major League Baseball for funding 2023 Single Game Tickets 2023 Promotional Schedule Traditional Season Tickets Fireworks & Silver Sluggers Plans Group Outings with the Wind Surge Manage Your Wichita Wind Surge Tickets Stadium Map . Wichita Wind Surge. That infield has potential but Sabato, Severino and Rucker need to step it up. He returned to Wichita at the beginning of the 2022 season and was moved to a role as a relief pitcher. MORE FROM TWINS DAILY Has Gray done enough for this promotion? Severino seemed to put some things together last year with the bat and did a nice job after moving up to the Surge. May 1, 2023, By I'm expecting guys like Hidalgo and Nowlin to get moved up at mid season. He's got three solid pitches, but it comes with a fastball that routinely hit 97 and 98 mph a year ago and touched 99. Brooks Lee, the No. No. Diamond Baseball Holdings adds Wichita Wind Surge to roster; more announcements expected shortly. Byron Buxton: No longer a center fielder? Takashi Miyoshi is the team's bench coach. Having reviewed both this roster and the CR roster, the Twins have incredible depth in their minor league system. I'm not a scout by any means but I take a mean video. He signed with the Twins in 2021 and has pitched at each level including Double-A, the past two years. April 25, 2023 | 00:00:46. Seamheads.com. Certainly gotta love a starting staff headed by Canterino, SWR and Varland. Listed on the "Developmental", List. Winkel already at AA, after being drafted in 2021, is very interesting. He has the speed for it. Still not sold on the amount of upside across the roster, but there is talent here. . In order to win the series, however, Wichita must find a way to win in Tulsa, something that has been a problem for the Wind Surge this season, given their 2-7 record on the road against the Drillers. Isola returns and may need to do more catching because of it. Julien has played there. Speaking of guys being healthy, Alex Scherff came to the Twins from the Red Sox organization. 2.2 Corpus Christi Hooks. It is an interesting list. The clubs top prospect. A SS injury and I would think they'd go right to Lewis since he's in AAA and on the 40-man. I'm hoping he gets off to a strong start and forces management into moving him up to SP by the middle of July (or earlier). Upload or insert images from URL. Join your hosts Scotty Germann and "The Voice of the Wind Surge," Tim Grubbs as they discuss the team, current events, team news, promotions, and all things Wind Surge and Minor League Baseball here at Riverfront Stadium. My future Twins in this group are Lee and Festa. Spent 2014-2020 with the Cleveland organization. Also excited to see the likes of E-Rod and Raya and Prielipp if he can get here this year. I'm expecting guys like Hidalgo and Nowlin to get moved up at mid season. It got only better in the finale of a six-game series with the Wind Surge. Minnesota Twins draft pick Brooks Lee is the headliner of the 2023 season opening day roster for the Wichita . There is a report of Celestino added to St. Paul in the window between his last Wichita game and major league debut. Follow Twins Daily via Twitter, Facebook or email Seth: Thanks for the insight/breakdown of the Wind Surge roster. Latest Twins coverage from our writers Date. Are they still in the organization? Your link has been automatically embedded. His pitching coaches will be Dan Urbina and DJ Engle. NOTES The combined 23 runs is a season high in a Wind Surge game. 04/30/23. Any news on Steve Berman, Alex Phillips, Zach Neff, Tyler Beck? This says otherwise and I'm back on that bandwagon! Let's take a look at the Wind Surge Opening Day roster. The Wind Surge completed their inaugural season as Double-A affiliates of the Minnesota Twins last summer. Will admit that the AFL seems to have changed some from what it had been, but still awfully good competition. Transaction. Top prospect Brooks Lee headlines the team's roster to start the season. Top prospect Brooks Lee headlines the team's roster to start the season. We also don't know what he showed when he spent 2020 at the Alternate site. I hope that means they really feel he's ready. He can hit and make contact and he's got some pop. What are your thoughts on this roster?