The 47-year-old said he is proud to be the first Black sheriff elected in the county. Manuel Gonzales III Sheriff Bernalillo County June 13, 2015 CHAIN OF COMMAND SHERIFF MANUEL GONZALES III OPERATIONS SECTION UNDERSHERIFF GREG REES ADMINSTRATIVE SECTION UNDERSHERIFF RUDY MORA CHIEF DEPUTIES CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS BUREAU JESSICA TYLER OPERATIONS BUREAU VACANT ADMINSTRATIVE SUPPORT BUREAU Both men were born and raised in the city of Albuquerque. Please log in to comment by clicking here, ABQ Students Turn Guns Into Gardening Tools, City halts development plans of Elena Gallegos Open Space, Abortion-ban ordinances gain ground in New Mexico. I really believe we have to work together because there are so many, you cant just do one warrant roundup on a Friday afternoon and then you dont see another one for two months down the road.. Bernalillo County Sheriffs Department Suggest Edit Address 400 Roma Avenue Northwest Albuquerque , New Mexico , 87102 Phone 505-768-4100 Fax 505-468-7299 Bernalillo County Sheriffs Department Services Records Inmate Records, Sheriff Reports & Records, Traffic Accident Reports Services Paul Pacheco is a career law enforcement officer who was born and raised in Albuquerque. Wednesday's morning. I think its one of the most important things that whoever sits in the seat of the sheriff and represents the Sheriffs Office listens to the people. What is your personal-favorite outdoor activity? But I also understand all the controversy that came along with it, civil rights violations, things of that nature. At Fridays news conference, Allens undersheriff Johann Jareno said the helicopter component of the countys Metro Air Support Unit (MASU) has been suspended. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. And my focus will continue to support law enforcement in whatever capacity I can in the future.. And he said he thought the current sheriff had alienated others, including the 2nd Judicial District Attorneys Office and the Albuquerque police chief. New details are emerging about a recent deadly encounter with Bernalillo County Sheriff's deputies had with a man during a welfare check in the South Valley less than two weeks ago. These policing practices will result in the Sheriff's Department enjoying the trust, confidence and support of the communities it serves. Both Allen and Pacheco are veteran law enforcement officers who grew up in Albuquerque. What is the biggest problem facing you if you were elected Sheriff today? I am proud that county residents enjoy prompt andquality public safety services by first responders. We are all victims of the crime here and people want a response from law enforcement no matter what color uniform it is. Albuquerque, NM 87113. Gonzales says he doesnt know what he will do next but knows the new sheriff will face challenges, including rising crime and homelessness; and retaining and recruiting deputies. Dreyer: The first major change I would make at BCSO would be criminal justice reform. Paul served with APD for 27 years and was elected to the State House of Representatives for District 23. These three words are the foundation of Pauls platform. I hope to make a message, thats my main goal to bring the voters a different perspective and maybe even after the election they can fight for or advocate for some of the reforms that Ive suggested.. Both candidates are former law enforcement officers - Allen retired from the Bernalillo County Sheriff's Office after a controversial time with the NM State Police and Pacheco retired from the Albuquerque Police Department after 27 years. Thats precisely how fascism begins and none of us should ever encourage or accept it. Both candidates are former law enforcement officers Allen retired from the Bernalillo County Sheriffs Office after a controversial time with the NM State Police and Pacheco retired from the Albuquerque Police Department after 27 years. At a news . Join Paul Pacheco in pioneering a better, safer community! Dreyer: Yes definitely, Police officers have been shown to unnecessarily escalate as they are often not trained to deal with serious situations like these. In November, Gonzales announced the re-launch of Metro 1, BCSOs other helicopter. Asked about his plans for a relationship with APD, Allen said he envisions huge changes. One of those includes communication, Allen says. Prosecutors determined the shooting was justified. Im running to give voters a different message, he said. During his time with BCSO, Allen was one of the supervisors of the Multi-Agency Task Force, which investigates shootings by local law enforcement. On the Democratic side, there's John Allen, who served with the New Mexico State Police for four years before joining the Bernalillo County Sheriff's Office in 2001. They are (R) Paul Pacheco and (D) John Allen. He was leading among the four Republican candidates with 48% of the vote last night. Gonzales was appointed Sheriff in 2009 by the County Commission when the sitting sheriff resigned. Has the Powerball jackpot ever been won in New Mexico? Allen endorsed the City of Albuquerques legislative request for $10-million. Most Popular Pages. You have to be able to multi-task. He assumed office in 2014. Brian McCutcheon, Treasurer. My most enjoyable year-round activity is an urban hike with my wife. The race for Bernalillo County sheriff had grown contentious in its final stretch, with Pacheco airing ads calling Allen a dirty cop and Allen accusing Pacheco of colluding with Sheriff Gonzales. Why is Biden announcing 2024 bid now, and what will change? 89.9 FM Live From The University Of New Mexico, Creative Commons https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/. Offender-focused approaches for violence reduction concentrate police resources on a relatively small number of high-risk, chronic offenders to address violent crime. Which law enforcement does, but we can always become a lot better at it.. The shooting happened in a South Valley . 's requests for answers to the questionnaire for BernCo Sheriff: Matthew R. McCoy (D), Patricio R. Ruiloba (D), Sheridan J. Lund (D), David T. Bibb (R), Paul A. Pacheco (R), Dereck Alan Scott (R), Joshua James Ryan Lawrence (R), No comments on this item Prosecuting these have been a waste of police resource and issues such as drug abuse should be solved through means other than law enforcement. I will move to combine fundamental strategies of directed patrols and investigations into high-impact communities complemented by data sharing and real-time technology. He was leading among the four Republican candidates with 48% of the vote last night. Pacheco, whose parents moved from Rhode Island to Albuquerque before he was born, grew up near the North Valley and went to Valley High School. While this type of policing does not go so far as to identify who will commit the crime, it does pinpoint hot spots to help law enforcement anticipate the approximate time of day and area of town where police might anticipate another crime. Allen is also tasked with figuring out the next steps for BCSOs helicopter program following a fatal crash over the summer. Do you think that police body cameras should be switched on during every encounter? Continue to stay focused on service and the reasons you came in to serve this public. With that, the biggest challenge for me would be recruiting and retention. Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. I am a current member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police and believe in best practices offered by IACP. Pacheco has received endorsements from The Albuquerque Journal, the Albuquerque Police Officers Association, the Fraternal Order of Police, and several high ranking retired members of the BCSO, Retired APD chief Mike Geier and even a couple sitting city councilors. Social advocates fulfill a unique and important role by working toward individually tailored services to simply help people. Bernalillo County seeks teens for summer internship program Attendees will be able to hear the candidates speak for about 2 minutes per speech and learn more about those who are looking to. Albuquerque - Just after midnight on January 1st 2023, Judge Sharon Walton officially swore in BCSO's new leadership into their new positions. He said he would handle similar situations differently. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. Mora: I am a firm believer in social workers working with law enforcement. I dont want to be scheduling On Patrol: Live, I know people think thats access to the department, and some people thing thats true transparency to the department, Ill agree and disagree.. While the county says it will continue to move forward with helicopter training and the closely tied mountain rescue and rope rescue components of MASU, helicopter operations are indefinitely suspended. Swearing in ceremony just after midnight on January 1st, 2023. 387 likes, 18 comments - Bernalillo County Sheriff's (@bcso_sheriff) on Instagram: " - . John Allen, a Democrat, has been elected sheriff of Bernalillo County, beating out Republican Paul Pacheco and Libertarian Kaelan Ashby Dreyer. Michaela Chavez - website. Sheriff Elect Allen also appointed recently retired APD Sergeant Hollie Anderson to the position of Major, which is a newly created position to the Office. Losing the four heroes of our agency.. Paul Pacheco is a career law enforcement officer who was born and raised in Albuquerque. Pacheco is a former Albuquerque Police Department officer and former state representative. Manuel Gonzales III (Democratic Party) was the Bernalillo County Sheriff in New Mexico. Bernalillo County has the largest sheriffs office in the state and longtime Sheriff Manuel Gonzales is term-limited out. Find Arrest Records, Inmate Records, and Warrants related to Bernalillo County Sheriffs Department. However, he says hell be looking at his options around the end of the year. WASHINGTON U.S. Its time to abolish the enforcement of victimless crimes and also end War on Drugs (basically I would try to do a Portuguese style drug decriminalization). Snedeker: Community involvement and outreach is the foundation of effective and successful policing. Picture from Facebook people for Paul page. The law enforcement profession has been under tremendous scrutiny in recent years. Paul Pacheco - Website. ALBUQUERQUE - Acting U.S. Attorney Steven C. Yarbrough and Bernalillo County Sheriff Dan Houston announced that Jessica A. Tyler, Chief Deputy of the Bernalillo County Sheriff's Office, has been elected Chairwoman of the Rio Grande Law Enforcement Information Exchange (LInX) Advisory Group. Homelessness is not a crime, Allen said. Were going to work in tandem and work together in protecting the county.. The crash killed Undersheriff Larry Koren, Lieutenant Fred Beers, and Deputy Michael Levison from BCSO. So, I feel better than ever, Gonzales says. All areas of responsibility must and will be adequately staffed and personnel properly deployed, to ensure the goals and objectives of public service and safety, and ensure greater and improved investigation clearance rates. Basically, most sheriff candidates are generally very, Id say, authoritarian. Kaelan Dreyer, who has no law enforcement experience is running as a self-described protest candidate. The SJPD, however, did not elaborate on Ho's charges and how many of his associates have been arrested. Our agency will engage in focused initiatives, and aggressive enforcement operations, to reduce the unlawful purchase, presence, possession, sale, and use of illegal firearms. That starts tomorrow. KRQE NEWS 13 - Breaking News, Albuquerque News, New Mexico News, Weather, and Videos. The Bernalillo County Sheriff's Office and Albuquerque Police Department are asking for help identifying a person they say has been involved in multiple armed robberies throughout Albuquerque. There are more than 5,000 outstanding felony warrants in Bernalillo County. County Commissioner District 1. Email: Freedom@rpbc.gop. Vote below: Who will be Bernalillo County's Next Sheriff. John Allens campaign said Pacheco is pronounced like Pinocchio because he is a liar and as proof he points to a column in the Santa Fe New Mexican that mentions in Pacheco's latest ads he has changed the pronunciation of his name from "Puh-CHEE-co" to "Puh-CHECK-o". How would you address reducing the increased homicide rate in New Mexico, particularly in Albuquerque? Bernalillo County has a New Sheriff and Admin Staff. If we can learn anything from Portland, its that we dont need this kind of 'help' from the White House. 676 were here. Paid for by People for Paul Pacheco. It mainly covers the unincorporated areas of the county, however deputies have jurisdiction within the city limits as well. I want to be able to speak with everybody.. Gabe Salazar | KOB ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. The Bernalillo County Sheriff's Office recently appointed its first behavioral health manager to spearhead the way deputies respond to mental health. Allen emphasized waiting for more details of NTSBs investigation into why the crash happened. She first came to KUNM as a phone volunteer on the pledge drive in 2005. Koren: I intend to take a three-pronged approach to address the increased homicide rates in Albuquerque that is focused on fundamental law enforcement strategies, data-driven technology, and collaborative agreements among stakeholders. I will strive to make sure our deputies are the best qualified to serve our community. Weve seen whats happened: We have rampant violent crime, we have rampant property crime, he said in an interview. Many of the Democratic candidates have focused on investing in data-driven policing and underlying issues like mental health. We are a multicultural community, and that needs to be reflected from every level of government, it needs to be reflected in our department, said Undersheriff Jareno. Allen defeated Republican Paul Pacheco in the November general election with roughly 54% of the vote. Local News. Bernalillo County Sheriff's deputies are showing the country plenty of . Snedeker: Community involvement and outreach is the foundation of effective and successful policing. 2d ago. Snedeker: Crime reduction and suppression strategies will involve comprehensive and intensive, data analysis of public safety law enforcement activities, calls for service, arrest data, etc., resulting in the focused deployment of personnel and services to specific areas and neighborhoods, based upon needs, levels, and types of crime.