Only the silver and gold, and articles of bronze and iron, they put into the treasury of the house of the Lord. I personally eat with them but I try not to enter too deeply into a common bond or camaraderie with them. In the olden days, just as today, cities were called by the names of famous men and women. Cudi I just read your comment on the Rahab article by Rex Rouis. You have no idea what is going on in the hearts of individuals. Thus the harlot of Jericho became a paragon of virtue. Only God can do that. Her ability to change her ways has encouraged countless generations to seek divine mercy and pardon for their actions and lives. Could she have been the madam of the whorehouse? Rahab symbolizes proper behavior, in contrast to the sinning Israelites. In our daily dealing with human beings, we must not right off anybody, because the very person that is tagged dirty or alien can turn out to be the medium by which our future can be secured. (I Chron. In those days Jews didnt give women their place and because she was a business person, perhaps an hotel owner or a sewing person. Then the two men returned and came down from the hill country and crossed over and came to Joshua the son of Nun, and they related to him all that had happened to them. A different spelling of the name, Rachab (as transliterated in the King James translation of the Greek ) is mentioned in the Gospel of Matthew as one of the ancestors of Jesus (Matthew 1:5). l5a; Ta'an . For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. When she reported to the spies who came to her house: no man had any more spirit left because of you(Josh. R. Nahman responded to this: But I say Rahab, Rahab, and nothing happens to me!, and was answered: This refers to one who knows her and is intimate with her (BTLit. II Peter 2:9 Gods Word Translation. Her kindred () a new term, often representing a larger unit than the house of the father ( ), and functioning here as a kind of summary statement. She is remembered in Jewish tradition as the great proselyte, as ancestress of kings and prophets, and, in the New Testament, as ancestress . The Woman at the well 22). Systems of Transliteration Citation of Proper Names. Phinehas told her: I am a priest, and priests are like the angels. Learn how your comment data is processed. He discharges those as He pleases. He has used many different people of different back grounds . Unfortunately for them, this would be the wrong place to hide. Indeed, as Robert Boling notes, such an establishment might have represented an ideal location for spies to gather intelligence. Themidrashcontinues this comparison by saying that whatever was written in Israels dishonor was written in Rahabs praise. Having arrived at Jericho, the two spies remained at Rahab's house, situated in the wall of the city and having a window on the outside (Josh. Matthew calls her Rahab, mother of Boaz. It is a high honor to be included in this group of believers. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. iv. For we dont know who they will be tomorrow. What an AMAZING expose of this part of Gods Word!! Mother of Boaz . A woman of Jericho who sheltered the spies sent by Joshua to search out the land. Rahab's decision resulted in the conquest of the city of . Solomon - The wisest King of Israel, and the one who built the first temple is another descendent of Rahab. Rex. 2:6): Now she had taken them up to the roof, and of Israel(Zeph. 22-23, 25). In Rabbinic tradition, Rahab marries Joshua, whereas in Christian tradition, she marries Salmon (father of Boaz). They come to Rahab's house for lodging, information, and/or sex. Be sure to love everyone and be careful not to judge. Who Was Moses? You are using an out of date browser. I also learnt to act on our faith we need to act like what we believe for it could counted as unto righteousness for us. Gen. 15:13 God said to Abram, "Know for certain that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, where they will be enslaved and oppressed four hundred years. Our responsibility as Believers is to Restore people not reject them, or put our hands against them in any way unless they are folded in prayers for them . Geni requires JavaScript! Joshua sent the spies in, and they ended up at Rahabs place. I promise thee, therefore, that one of thy descendants [referring to Ezekiel] shall see what no prophet before him shall have seen" (comp. They departed and came to the hill country, and remained there for three days until the pursuers returned. Manage Settings You can read about Rahab in Joshua 2 and Joshua 6 .. Terrible exegesis. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. You cannot be saved until your lost. According to one opinion, the prophetHuldahwas also among her offspring (Sifreion Numbers, chap. He also knows how to hold immoral people for punishment on the day of judgment. So, I would not be surprised if in all those references it was the same Rahab. Indeed, GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD!!!!! For she had given a friendly welcome to the spies. and . Besides, the Bible has been translated from several languages and written by humans hundreds or thousands of years after the events. Rabbah8:9). According to the narrative in Joshua 2, before the conquest of Canaan, Joshua sends two men as spies to see the land. The Bible, after all, is a book of truth. Sometimes the older English translations are foreign to us. I believe that to follow the Ten Commandments, Beatitudes, Golden Rule and Faith covers everything in life. The Rabbis describe how Rahab was ten years old at the time of the Exodus from Egypt. The Spies Agree to Save Rahab's Family In preparation for the conquest of Jericho, the first city to be taken after the Israelites cross the Jordan River, Joshua sends two spies, who arrive at the house of Rahab, a harlot, in Jericho. He is WITH you and in the end, isnt that all that really matters? It so easy for people too assume or judge some one. That is the context and meaning of James 2:17. 2:4reports: The woman, however, had taken the two men and hidden him [va-tizpenoin the singular], since she concealed only Caleb (Num. Rahab is mentioned alongside Jethro and Naaman as positive examples of the converts who joined Israel. She acted wisely when she concealed the spies in her house, thereby saving her entire family from the ravages of war. Its so amazing and quite interesting that the the two great grandmothers of Jesus Christ ( Rehab and Ruth) came from a condemned nations. You shall not lack. Her connection to the people of Israel was not merely utilitarian, but ensued from her love of them and their God. I meant Well done, Evelyn, not When done ! Within the list of faith champions in Hebrews Chapter Eleven, Rahab is mentioned right after Moses, and instead of Joshua! God had plans for Rahab from before the beginning of time. When done, Evelyn Rahab is mentioned in both the Old Testament and New Testament, and her story is an example of God's grace and redemption. These actions are not the self-righteous works mentioned in Romans 4:4, 5. Rahab: The Biblical Prostitute in the 'Faith Hall of Fame' - People | HowStuffWorks - SoundOfTexk, Rahab: Hure und Held des Alten Testaments - TUNLOG, http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200274756, http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200003623, http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/s/r1/lp-e?q=Rahab&p=par, Lavish New Kingdom Tomb Uncovered at Saqqara. By the merit of three things pardon me: the rope, the window, and the wall [pardon me for engaging in harlotry because I endangered myself when I lowered the rope for the spies from the window in the wall]." Further information that might be interesting. (Babylonian Talmud, Zevahim 116ab). First we have to understand the role of the Shepard, as it was the Shepards responsibility to lovingly care for, provide for and look after the sheep. Wow great article. Joshua 2:4 7. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. This article is amazing. So the men pursued them on the road to the Jordan to the fords; and as soon as those who were pursuing them had gone out, they shut the gate. In the midrash, Rahab is named as one of the four most beautiful women the world has ever known, along with Sarah, Abigail, and Esther. Here is a hypothesis I am developing: A Biblical prostitute or just an innkeeper? A type of non-halakhic literary activitiy of the Rabbis for interpreting non-legal material according to special principles of interpretation (hermeneutical rules). What does the Bible say about Rahab? Hide my fellow Caleb, while I will stand before them, without them seeing me. Rahab did as he asked. What evidence ? Nahmanides suggests that this was just standard speech ( ) and was not meant to suggest that the angels thought he had sons. As Believers, we are to consistently, look to our Heavenly Father as our provider, of all things! Paul is actually referring to those in the church that are unrepentant and misbehaving. ), Tikva Frymer-Kensky regards Rahab as "smart, proactive, tricky and unafraid to disobey and deceive her king". The Talmud legends, curiously enough, reckon eight prophets among her descendants, including Jeremiah and Baruch, but not any of the line of David. ' John 8:31-32. COPYRIGHT 2023 BIBLICAL ARCHAEOLOGY SOCIETY 5614 Connecticut Ave NW #343, Washington DC 20015-2604. Launched Shavuot 5773 / 2013 | Copyright Project TABS, All Rights Reserved, script type="text/javascript"> Indeed,we see an unclean genealogy but our King Jesus is born out of the unclean genealogy.We too can come out of our sins. its not shameful, nor degrading, nor belittling, but a glorious truth that women might find liberating to acceptmy wife has. (Viewed on May 1, 2023) . David, Jesus Why did Israel need God to send them "judges" It has been long since I last came here But I am glad I did. The longest life was that of Isaac after the flood and it was a mere 180 years. Rahab was ordered by the king, who had been informed of the arrival of the spies, to deliver them to him; she, however, hid them on the roof and declared that they had come and gone without her knowing who they were (ii. James 2:24, 25. [4], The King James Version renders the name as Rachab, after its literal spelling in Greek, which differs from the spelling for Rahab in James and Hebrews. Christian Standard Bible, This faith is the divinely inspired sanction of God for a specific purpose or thing, but it must be acted upon for it to come alive. One poor soul decided to keep a few things for himself. 2:12): Now, since I have shown loyalty to you, swear to me by the Lord, and of Israel(Jer. Shalvi/Hyman Encyclopedia of Jewish Women. Thus, Rahabs good deeds continue to aid her offspring in later generations, as well. They obeyed God who told them to march around the city once for six days, and then march around the city seven times on the seventh day and blow horns; the walls came crashing down. Among her articles are Three Oppressors and Four Saviors The Three-Four Pattern and the List of Saviors in I Sam 12,9-11, ZAW 127 (2015), 294-303, and Swords that are Ploughshares: Another Case of (Bilingual) Wordplay in Biblical Prophecy?, Biblica 98.3 (2017), 425-434. After her, the Bible reads: And what more shall I say? Your comments on Pauls instructions in dealing with this issue. Thats it Maam. 2:13): that you will spare the lives of my father and mother, and of Israel(Ezek. She was symbolically "cut" when the sea was parted in Exodus, and thus defeated in order to allow Israel to escape from Egypt. Aldo Biblical Archeology need not go far to foster religious fiction man already does that regularly by himself. David - King David probably one of the best-known kings of Israel is a descendent of Rahab in the Bible. However, Rahab the harlot and her fathers household and all she had, Joshua spared; and she has lived in the midst of Israel to this day, for she hid the messengers whom Joshua sent to spy out Jericho. Something went wrong while submitting the form. The Rabbis sing paeans of praise ofRahabfor her beauty and wisdom. the first-century C.E. Designation of the five scrolls of the Bible (Ruth, Song of Songs, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther). I have been a apart of your teachings for years and I must say I am never disappointed. Kadari, Tamar. She married Salmon of the Tribe of Judah and was the mother of Boaz. 20:17). Great read..I sought out intel on Rahab for a reason, curious about a prostitute being allowed to be in the genealogy of Christ.and renowned and well spoken of. Lit. This prostitute happened to be a godly person inside, or at least, a godly person in the making. [18] As the first non-Israelite person, and in particular the first Canaanite woman, to ally with Israel, Rahab's convictions led her to protect the men sent by Joshua despite her background. When people state they are followers of Jesus and then behave like world, then you need to read up on what Paul is saying to the Church. So also faith, if it is unaccompanied by obedience, has no life in it so long as it stands alone. Jennings, Jenifer. She knew what was about to happen and she wanted to be on the Israelite side. Then she let them down by a rope through the window, for her house was on the city wall, so that she was living on the wall. Connect to the World Family Tree to find out, THE PROPHETESSES OF ISRAEL / , Rahab: "Good girls, bad girls: the enduring lessons of twelve women of the Old Testament"By T. J. Wray, Rahab removed from Jericho on it's capture. The example given is of Rahab the harlot: despite her being busy in her house (in prostitution), and her being from a people for whom theTorah she-bi-khetav: Lit. 2:15): She let them down by a rope through the window, and you, too, shall be saved by a rope(Jer. Now therefore, please swear to me by the Lord, since I have dealt kindly with you, that you also will deal kindly with my fathers household, and give me a pledge of truth, and spare my father and my mother and my brothers and my sisters, with all who belong to them, and deliver our lives from death. So the men said to her, Our life for yours if you do not tell this business of ours; and it shall come about when the Lord gives us the land that we will deal kindly and faithfully with you. Joshua 2:8 14. Rahab lied to the king and told him that they had left earlier before the gates closed for the night. This cord seems reminiscent of the Passover blood that was spread over the doorways of the Israelite homes back in Egypt when the death angel passed over them. According to Talmudic tradition Rahab married Leader Joshua on Nun, which would place her elsewhere in the tree, but Christian sources (Matthew 1:5 - "And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab;") put her here, although some scholars claim this was another woman with the same name. Besides, among the Canaanites harlotry was not a business of ill repute. 2:16): Make for the hills, so that the pursuers may not come upon you. What it means to me is I shall not want anything in other words you have now if you believe everything you need now. 22-23, 25). Who was Rahab in the Bible? And He can surely transform them and use them if he wants too. [5], The Hebrew (ishah zonah), used to describe Rahab in Joshua 2:1, literally means "a prostitute woman". The crowd goes nuts, and not in a good way. Dont waste because, otherwise you will be in want. In the Talmudic literature, however, it is accepted that Rahab was a harlot. Somehow the king of Jericho knew the spies were there and he sent messengers to ask about it. I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson and Jephthah, about David and Samuel and the prophets Hebrews 11:32. Keep up the good work! Wood-engraver: Antoine Piaud (1837-1866). By putting your faith into action you can tell whos side youre on , Carl Thank you. He knows how to save those that love Him and desire to serve Him. 21), are considered by the Rabbis to refer to the house of Rahab (Ruth R. ii. Joseph, the adoptive father of Jesus, is her direct descendant. Hanoi Jane displays her absolute ignorance once again. The Scarlet Cord: Rahab's Bible Story & Our Story. She engaged in prostitution during the forty years of the Israelites wanderings in the wilderness, until the age of fifty. Rahab was given a golden pass because every guy who smashed her was slaughtered in the same day. When informed of the Israelite spies The King of Jericho Sent to Rahab or Little Egypt so to speak. In the midrashic expansion, Jeremiah tells him: If only I had a ladder. God asks him: You want a ladder? The pattern is evident, the entire Bible endorses one male DNA doner from virginity to death for a female, and only upon the death of the FIRST doner is she FREE to marry again. I see that it is really difficulty to understand God s mind. She is one of five women mentioned in Matthews genealogy of Christ; they are Tamar the wife of Judah, Rahab the wife of Salmon, Ruth the wife of Boaz, Bathsheba the wife of King David (after being the wife of Uriah), and Mary the Mother of Jesus. Pauls comments are primarily aimed at hypocrisy among believers, of which family members could be a part. Tough call. Frederic. [6], In the Christian New Testament, the Epistle of James and the Epistle to the Hebrews follow the tradition set by the translators of the Septuagint in using the Greek word "" (prn, which is usually translated to English as "harlot" or "prostitute") to describe Rahab. cit.). 31:21: She is not worried for her household because of snow, for her whole household is dressed in crimsonshe was not concerned, because of the length of crimson cord that would be the sign between them (Midrash Eshet Hayil31:21). Rahab's name is presumably the shortened form of a sentence name rb-N, "the god N has opened/widened (the womb?)". Let that sink in. [14] Instead, she hid them under bundles of flax on the roof. Please enable JavaScript in your browser's settings to use this part of Geni. But everyone in the area knew they were there and what they were about to do. Truly blessed to have found this. I surely appreciate you being a part of my life on a daily blessings. Baskin, Judith (1979). cit.). After the danger had passed, Rahab advised the spies(Josh. Her ability to mend her ways was exemplary for ensuing generations, who used Rahabs story to request divine mercy and pardon for their actions. This is a thing you want to think about . This negative attitude toward converts was apparently prevalent among the people, too, a prejudice that was opposed by the following midrash. "scroll." ii. Rabbah8:10:1). Hope my God works on me to not judge anyone. Joshua 6:22 25. Boaz ObedJesse Rahab/Descendants How is Rahab related to Boaz? After reading the first five books of the Bible, the last thing you would have expected was for God to go out of His way to save a pagan prostitute in a city that was about to be utterly destroyed because of sin. Rex. There is debate whether the Rahab in Jesus lineage is the same we see in the book of Joshua but theres a lot of debate on a lot of things concerning the Bible and timelines are definitely in a lot of them. We learn in Joshua 2 that Rahab lived in the city of Jericho. Are these two RAHAB the same woman ? May God forgive us our trespasses and have mercy on us as He did for this biblical Rahab, God has already forgiven your sin. 78). Your grandmother Rahab used a rope, as it is written(Josh. In this case the consonants that are claimed znh are english letters that are probably not even in the original Hebrew making this claim even more dubious (the Zhn being from the Hebrew translation). So He knew what it was like to be married, in a sense. That it shows us that God [Jesus, Holy Spirit] is not just for the Jews that he loved the Gentiles as well. Who are the descendants of Rahab? [8] It was not uncommon for both an inn and a brothel to operate within the same building; thus entering Rahab's quarters was not necessarily a deviation from Joshua's orders. As a BetterHelp affiliate, we may receive compensation from BetterHelp if you purchase products or services through the links provided. It was the time of the barley harvest, and flax and barley are ripe at the same time in the Jordan valley, so that "the bundles of flax stalks might have been expected to be drying just then". nah always has to do with an illicit relationship, either sexual or as a figure of spiritual unfaithfulness, and in each instance where it denotes a prostitute, it is so translated. She was rewarded for her kindness and ultimately married Joshua, taking her place in the ranks of righteous converts. [12] I wish to thank the editors for their outstanding contribution and assistance. She was said to be one of the four great beauties, the other three being Sarah, Abigail, and Esther (Meg. But the spies were safe, for she had hid them on the roof under wet and smelly piles of rotting flax. [6] A number of scholars have noted that the narrator in Joshua 2 may have intended to remind the readers of the "immemorial symbiosis between military service and bawdy house". I know that the LORD hath given you the land, and that your terror has fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land faint because of you. Rahab, who begins as triply marginalized (Canaanite, woman, and prostitute), moves to the center as bearer of a divine message and herald of Israel in its new land. The Israelites were still camped on the east side of the Jordan River, approximately 15 miles away from Jericho. An angel can be visible to people, or unseen by them, as he wishes, therefore I do not need you to conceal me. Who were the descendants of Rahab? It is not rendered hostess, innkeeper, or the like. Obed was the father of Jesse Matthew 1:5. Now the pursuers had sought them all along the road, but had not found them. 31 December 1999. The spies agree to her terms and tell her to leave a red cord hanging from her window to let them know which home to spare. What does harlot mean in KJV? She was a prostitute who became a believer and played a key role in the Israelite conquest of Jericho. You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. News of their earlier victories spread quickly, and people from all around would have sought protection within Jerichos mighty walls. The ancient rabbis regarded Rahab as one of the most beautiful women in Jewish history. Even Jesus, who claimed to be equal with God, recognized the authority of His Father over himself, only doing what His Father wanted Him to do. A Harlot, a Canaanite and a liar. [7] The same midrash appears inRuth Rabbah2:1,Ecclesiastes Rabbah5:1, andYalkut Shimoni(Nach 15:22). "scroll." It shall come about that anyone who goes out of the doors of your house into the street, his blood shall be on his own head, and we shall be free; but anyone who is with you in the house, his blood shall be on our head if a hand is laid on him. If a black pot is used to prepare pap, is there no chance of the pap coming out great in whatever colour the content is? But if you tell this business of ours, then we shall be free from the oath which you have made us swear. She said, According to your words, so be it. So she sent them away, and they departed; and she tied the scarlet cord in the window. The Rabbis deduced from the story of Rahab the superiority of repentance over prayer, for Moses prayed exceedingly, but God did not accept his entreaty to enterThe Land of IsraelErez Israel, while the repentance of Rahab the harlot was accepted, and seven kings and eight prophets issued forth from her (Lit. THANK YOU for this lovely spiritual respite. In the Babylonian Talmud, Rahab was so beautiful that the very mention of her name could cause arousal (Megillah 15a). Anything else is secondary. 1), which renders it by (= "innkeeper"; comp., however, David imi ad loc.). James 2:17 Weymouth New Testament. It is not always easy to find the exact translations for certain words or phrases. The Descendants of Ahab Are Killed. According to this outlook, the Israelites acted improperly when they saved Rahab and her family; they rather should have proscribed them, along with the other inhabitants of Jericho. Language links are at the top of the page across from the title. "The Rabbinic Transformations of Rahab the Harlot". As soon as we had heard these things, our hearts did melt, neither did there remain any more courage in any man, because of you: for the LORD your God, he is God in heaven above and in earth beneath. What we think has no bearing on what God Knows. Her Ph.D. is from the Hebrew University. Rahab saved the two souls of the spies by means of the city wall[Josh. Josh. Read the latest from JWA from your inbox. I feel very sad for you, only truth can help . In the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) and in the New Testament, the names Salmon (Hebrew: almn) and Salmah (Hebrew: almn, Greek: v) are both used to refer to a person who appears in genealogy. In Psalm 87:4 Rahab is the name of a city; also in Psalm 89:10 and in Isaiah 51:9. It is possible that he was the son of Nahshon and that he married "Rachab" of Matthew 1:5 (perhaps Rahab of . stop trying to soft peddle sin, this event needs to represent how depraved man is and how righteous God is! She said: Master of the Universe! [6] However, there was a separate word, qd, that could be used to designate prostitutes of the cultic variety. Other then Mary, Rahab is the only one mentioned again in the New Testament. And Richard, Faith WITHOUT works is dead. There was not a prince nor a ruler that had not had relations with her; and she was therefore well informed of what was going on outside Jericho (Mek., Yitro, 'Amalek, 1; Zeb. Rahab eventually married Salmon, an Israelite from the tribe of Judah, and they had a child. In another exegesis, God showed Moses before his death, through the spirit of divine inspiration, the line of prophets that would issue from Rahab (Sifreion Deuteronomy, Chap.338). Ultimately, Rahab married Salmon, an Israelite from the tribe of Judah. 22:7): Fathers and mothers have been humiliated within you; it is written of Rahab(Josh. Israel, God always identified people by their occupation. Your labor of love for us is definitely not in vain. Even though out of some of those moments I got just what I asked for and the consequences to go with them. Every single client who ever lay with her was killed in one day, in essence Rahabs body count was wiped clean. Maybe Gods not afraid of strong women.