This helps avoid the need for multiple dress shoes. I think he visits the main pantry (5 levels below) for these unusual ingredients. (It can be rolled up with its strap or folded into its zip pocket.). They will pack a box for you with a sandwich, apple, and goodies. In fact, we only realized this when we went to the website to try to print them out a few days prior to our cruise. Very large master bathrooms feature a double-sink vanity, a spacious glass-enclosed shower and a bathtub (something you wont find in any of the lesser cabin categories on the vessels). Are you ready to embark on your journey to sea the world, one port at a time? From a clean T-shirt and jeans to a jacket and tie, cruise line dress codes run the gamut from hyper casual to elegant (and don't forget Hawaiian shirt night, of I had originally posted this on the Cruise Fashions board but it was suggested that I might get more feedback here. I recently fell in love with a $16.99 pair of fake diamond studs at TJ Maxx that are larger than any real ones I could ever afford to buy. Viking strongly recommends that guests wear a face mask while in transit for increased protection prior to embarkation. However, this also means that you will probably be tired. Best card for premium perks while traveling, Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card, The Business Platinum Card from American Express, Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card, Southwest unveils stunning new Hawaii-themed aircraft, How to redeem Chase Ultimate Rewards points for maximum value, IHG Rewards Premier Business card review: The annual fee is justified. Announcing Our 2023 Cruisers' Choice Award Winners! It probably did not but it was cool to find some nearby video game tables. }); On shore excursions, hell have a place to stow his phone, keycard, etc. I am a pretty light packer but I'm not sure I could get enough in a carry on for the Midnight Sun route !! At least there is a laundry room on board (and laundry service, too). Do the Kitchen Tabkw cooking classes in sea days! I know of two secret ways to see a Viking ocean cruise galley but ask Guest Services how you can best tour it. If you want to look stylish, these comfy Aerosol sandals are great. McCool Travel note: Viking Ocean Cruises now has several ocean ships and they are pretty much identical. They basically look the same. We did hear many cruisers trying to request certain tables or sections to have the same waitstaff, but it is not always possible. Last cruise we took was RC and i jumped in expecting fresh water to be surprised by sea water LOL. Some folks like to really dress up for dinner and that is what they do. Viking Octantis and Viking Polaris have what some in the cruise industry call an infinite veranda a balcony-like space created by a window wall that opens from the top down. That pretty much summarizes the official dress code. However, in the execution, there is plenty of room for interpretation -- and each sailing I ha And bring along a sufficient number of (but not too many) bras and panties. WebLadies can wear a dress, skirt or slacks with a blouse or sweater, while men can don trousers and a collared shirt. Viking River Cruises also provides this checklist for passengers: Comfortable walking shoes Dressier shoes Collapsible umbrella/lightweight rain gear Lightweight jacket/warm sweater/sweatshirt Sunglasses, sun hat or visor, and sunscreen Warm coat, gloves and water-resistant footwear (as needed for cooler months or colder For a big trip like this I'll have 4 things: large expandable suitcase which will be checked in, a fanny pack, (wallet, passport, etc), a backpack holding all kinds of things (iPad, books, medicines, etc), and a camera bag. The bathrooms are large, too. Do you have any tips to share with those planning a Viking Ocean Cruise? There are no additional service fees or gratuities. I am almost positive that spa services do not include gratuities since gratuities are not included anywhere else for Viking. Cost about $69, three hour cooking class and you eat the menu for lunch, served with nice wines. Vested in Cartagena, Spain (credit: Irene S. Levine). 104 Penthouse Veranda Staterooms (25% of the total). Thanks for this. Take a Galley Tour. [emoji1]. It should be okay in the World Cafe, but Ive never seen men in sandals in any of the dining rooms. You can accessorize and change the look of your outfit with one or two, Leave your diamonds and precious jewels at home. The Spa is located all the way forward on Deck 1. After walking all day, its nice to have a comfy flip-flop, slide, or another open-style shoe to relax in on the ship, especially when youre in your stateroom or on your balcony. Wifi also works better during big shows, when most people are on excursions, and in the middle of the night. Ahhhh. WebOn day 6 of the cruise I put on a long billowy white linen button down and red lipstick and suddenly people were MUCH friendlier to me, like a night and day difference. They also provide other Norwegian food items, including late night service. Boarding a Viking Ocean cruise is different than your typical mega-ship embarkation process. Every single passenger room on all nine of the vessels is either a balcony cabin or a suite with a balcony. Ever. For women, a nice dress (in the Caribbean a sundress would be great) or a dressy top and pants and sandals like the ones you describe. The rolling of the dice, though, I thought might bother them. widgetTitle:"Save With the Best Cruise Prices", While most people envision cruising to tropical locales, cruise ships visit various destinations across the globe. You will be able to leave a comment after signing in, Copyright 19952023 The Independent Traveler, Inc. horizontal: true The Chefs Table has up to 5 different menus that rotate every 2-3 days depending on the length of the sailing. The Restaurant has open seating during set times for breakfast and dinner. Your email address will not be published. Women should pack a bathing suit and for men, bathing trunks. A mid-length sundress with a cap or flutter sleeve is also a nice look for the daytime. I had no idea that Viking offered laundry services. I did five or six on my Panama Canal cruise and had a blast. Number of Formal Nights on a Princess Cruise: 5 to 6-night cruises: 1 formal evening 7 to 13-night cruises: 2 formal evening 14 to 20-night cruises: 3 formal evening We have done a couple of river cruises and heading in 2 weeks for the first ocean one. It may have stains, bumped corners, creases, Read more Sale ends in: 22h 11m Price: US $8.99 Was US $9.99 Save US $1.00 (10% off) Buy It Now Add to cart Best Offer: Make offer Add to We did actually see many gentleman in sports coats, but it is not necessary. } Drop us an anchor below with your tips for cruising on this luxury line. Eddie Bauer Infinity hiking shirt was easy to sink wash and hang for hiking The black/white was a sweater and I was very glad to have it. I do not have the natural insulation (that is, hair!) There are two basic aspects you have to keep in mind while planning your vacation so that you can create the ideal packing list for yourself. You can dress casual every night. You really do have some great secrets! WebWhat do I wear on a Viking Ocean Cruise? If you want to look more dressed, scarves and jewelry can upgrade for you. Follow along as we share our travel tips, cruise reviews, information on ports of call, and the latest cruise news to help you plan the ultimate cruise vacation. Doors open 30 minutes prior to showtime. I would love to take a Viking Cruise & put some of these tips to work! WebEven though there are no formal evenings, the evening dress code for all eating venues, entertainment, and special events aboard a Viking River cruise is elegant casual. Your room key card is needed to enter and exit the ship. A good, wool sweater is often a benefit when the weather is cold and damp. And will make a more formal appearance with a collared shirt. Free shipping for many products! 272 Deluxe Veranda Staterooms (65% of the total). T-shirts and capris are acceptable. Business casual attire was the norm, as the atmosphere is laid back. The list also makes a great little gift for any of your friends embarking on a cruise. The other idea that I would look into would be a European River Cruise. I'm hoping that the attitudes that I've encountered on the Viking river cruises have carried over to the ocean-liners. While he may be obsessed with doing extensive amounts of research on ships and all elements of a cruise, Don enjoys sharing his new found knowledge with fellow cruisers. If youre looking for a room that is big and open on an ocean cruise (and are willing to pay extra for it), Viking has plenty of options. TIP: Some churches ask that women not wear anything too revealing and to cover their shoulders. Even if I dont use them at the launderette, they make my suitcase smell fresh and can be used to reduce static on a clingy skirt or dress. After youve completed making the list; read it over and try to prune it to eliminate excess. This pool is long enough for swimmers to enjoy their morning laps, but most cruisers will love that you can slip into This item is in decent condition with age-related wear. You can arrange two tours in one day. Viking operates ships with a very easy-to-understand array of cabins, unlike some of its competitors. Since Manfredis and Chefs Table reservations are made in advance, you will have to shuffle if they conflict with lobster night. These extra amenities and services include: Passengers staying in Deluxe Veranda Staterooms can also access their rooms one hour earlier on embarkation day than those staying in Veranda Staterooms. You'll earn 15 elite night credits each calendar year, and receive automatic Gold elite status. Right? One day lamb curry was on the buffet line and I asked for prawn curry. They are true owners suites in that they are used by Viking founder and chairman Torstein Hagen when he sails on the ships, and they feature some of his personal mementos, including family pictures. This is something you should not miss during your trip. Your voyage may be headed to warm climates, cooler ones, or some mix of the two. Most people appeared not to have changed from whatever they wore all day. You wont have trouble seeing the pages of the Viking Daily activity newsletter while lying in a Viking cabin bed. You can check items off as you place them in your suitcase. This 60-page Packing List offers a checklist of last-minute reminders to trigger your memory. Please also see our articles about two Viking ocean cruisesInto the Midnight Sun itinerary on Viking Sea andRomantic Mediterranean voyage on Viking Star. We did the Danube/Rhine last summer with Scenic and it was excellent. Suggested attire for women includes dresses, skirts or slacks with sweaters or blouses; for men, trousers and collared shirts are recommended. I cause so much trouble! Just curious. All wonderful ideas, but my favorite was the image of the bistecca (Florentine style steak) at Manfredis. Ive bookmarked this for future as I learned a lot. Leave all of the uncomfortable shoes at home. If ships are like people, then Viking Star just makes you smile. En-suite bathrooms are just as thoughtful, with underfloor heating, de-misting mirrors and a useful pull-out clothes line on which to hang towels. The main pool on the ship has a retractable roof. There is also the infinity pool located at the aft of Deck 7. I met some very nice people on the last few days while dressed like that. If so, Viking could be your line. Through the many years of cruising We find Elegant Casual a fine way to describe the modern day dress codes on the ships. Of course, there is also the therapy pool located in the thermal suite of the spa. Men can wear collared or uncollared shirts during the day. I like to bring a pair of flip-flops with me. Ha! And get an apron and recipes as well as meet chefs. One day the spa gave me a Band-Aid. And I detest (sorry folks!) Enjoy your upcoming Viking river cruise. The black and white print offsets black or white pants. Also see ourViking River Cruises Danube Waltz Highlights. The dress code is largely relaxed, casual, and comfortable. Theres an adjacent pantry that can be used by staff serving room service or catering hosted events. While you can certainly purchase a massage, facial, or other treatment, dont forget that the thermal suite is complimentary for all cruisers. widgetTitle:"Check Prices for Viking Sea Cruises", For our 8 nights, there was a Captains Reception, a headliner act on two separate evenings, a local opera ensemble one night, an ABBA tribute, and a variety show on another evening. Jeans or shorts are not recommended for the dining room. However, the Deluxe Veranda Staterooms, which cost more, have better locations on the ships and come with more amenities and services. Sign up for our updates. While these tours are complimentary, you do still need to make reservations. Coffee This makes the process of booking a room on a Viking vessel relatively simple compared to booking a room on many other ships. You can either bring along a cardigan in your tote or else tuck a folded shawl there it is required. Related: 7 reasons you should splurge on a suite for your next cruise. Registered Office: Co-operative House, Warwick Technology Park, Gallows Hill, Each of the Owners Suites has a separate bedroom, living room, dining area that seats six people and master bathroom that includes a sauna with a glass wall facing the ocean. Ask your cabin attendant or Guest Services for foam pillows. Later a morning session was added. The hours for our sailing were 8:00 am to 8:00 pm everyday. If you arrive about 20 minutes early, you should have no problem finding a seat. If you make it all fit in your carry on you are my hero!:). The roof was closed for most of our journey and the pool area was a popular venue on sea days for sitting and some swimming (but never crowded--and the lounge chairs with the view, the ones by the window, do fill up quickly). Do an optional excursion in the morning and an included excursion in the afternoon. 6x Marriott Bonvoy Points on each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program. Viking Ocean Cruises is one of the few remaining cruise lines that still mails your luggage tags to you. For breakfast, the World Cafe on Viking Cruises chefs prepare made to order omelets and turkey bacon. The University Of Iowa's Only Student Newspaper. Cant sign up before your cruise, have to go to the excursions desk. As noted above, though, youll only find the latter two types of cabins on Viking ocean ships. We did not see a sequin or cocktail dress during the month we were on board, including a dinner with the captain. Two problems. I'm not a dressy dresser at all. Instead, they are eminently functional, with storage in all the right places, lots of outlets for charging your devices and lighting right where you need it. He usually doesnt bring a sports jacket although some men like to wear them for warmth or to look sharp. The tissue box in the bathroom makes a nice amplifier for your smartphone music. We learned, though, that the talks are recorded and available to watch on the stateroom television system. The lines seven traditional ocean vessels aimed at the English-speaking market each have 418 balcony cabins that can be broken down into three categories: The first two categories, Veranda Staterooms and Deluxe Veranda Staterooms, are the same size at 270 square feet (a figure that includes balcony space). Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Every passenger room on its ocean ships is a balcony cabin or a suite, something that is unusual in the cruise world, and these cabins break down into just a few subcategories. I just don't agree. And oh I might break down and get dressier slacks that I can then wear to the office afterwards. ather than enhanceyour journey. Soda is also available during meal times. But wifi is not the primary reason for a Viking ocean cruise. Choose a color theme to mix and match outfits. In two weeks on the Viking Sea (into the Midnight Sun), the only sport coat I saw was the one I packed and seldom used. So, pack a pair or two of khakis and some collared shirts for men or some dressy outfits for woman. Viking calls them Nordic balconies. They can wear anything like formal clothes, a suit, tuxedo, golf shirts, and short-sleeved shirts for men. The port talks in the Star Theater are popular and informative, plus a chance to see the fabulous Heather Clancy live. McCool Travel News Travel Articles We Appear In, Viking River Cruises Danube Waltz Highlights, 8 Great Reasons Viking Cruises Are a Fantastic Value, 12 Great Ice Cream Places in US to Cool Off, 12 Reasons to Go On a Viking Rhine River Cruise with Family - Food Fun & Faraway Places, Incredible Dog Encounters While Traveling | Buddy The Traveling Monkey, Create Your Own Airplane Travel Kit with In-Flight Essentials, 8 Great Reasons NOT to Use a Travel Agent, 7 Important Reasons I Did NOT Renew My AAA Membership, 8 Sensational Scenic Drives in Florida For Your Next Sunshine State Vacation, Secret Things to Do on Viking Ocean Cruises. Viking also offers additional shore excursions that you can purchase pre-cruise. Viking also offers smaller versions of its Longships that have fewer balcony cabins, as well as a few different types of river ships with varying numbers of balcony cabins. In addition, there is an outdoor sports deck all the way forward on Certainly makes packing light a lot easier. TIP: Water-resistant footwear will keep your feet dry in inclement weather. The white/Black was a cotton long sleeve and it was perfect for layering. Overpacking is only likely to interfere withr. During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief Located between the Aquavit bar (say hello to Eddie!) One guaranteed priority reservation at every alternative restaurant on board, which can be made 60 days in advance of sailing. Viking is also known for a relatively simple-to-understand array of subcategories of rooms within its balcony-cabin and suite categories. I order spinach for my omelet, which is not in their rotation, but the chef found some. Ever since my husband first began wearing travel vests on our trips, hes been addicted to them. At peak times, the line can be a bit longer, but the dining room is quite large for a ship of this size. If you want to wear dressier shoes, you can but not necessary. Luckily, we had onboard credit that we spent sampling some of these premium options. A better grade of chino slacks and a polo shirt was my preferred "evening wear" when we did VR 2 yrs ago. After youve completed making the list; read it over and try to prune it to eliminate excess. Through the many years of cruising We find Elegant Casual a fine way to describe the modern day dress codes on the ships. Even if you arent headed to the Caribbean, the sun often reflects off the water when youre sailing. Two guaranteed priority reservations at each alternative restaurant on board, which can be made 70 days in advance. The Restaurant on Deck 2 has first come, first serve seating. Just back from our cruise and the dress code in action was casual and comfortable--and quite varied. You will occasionally find a trivia session, but there will be no Bingo or belly flop contest on these cruises. We'll run a soft credit check to find special offers, but it wont affect your credit score. Vat No. What is Included in a Viking Ocean Cruise, Viking Cruises Sets Sail on the Longest World Cruise, Top Things to Do on a Viking Ocean Cruise, How to Cruise for Cheap: Top Tips and Advice, Complete Guide to Drink Packages on Celebrity Cruises (2023), Everything You Need to Know About Norwegian's Free at Sea in 2023, Complete Guide to Princess Cruises Drink Packages, Complete Guide to Drink Packages on Carnival (2023), Complete Guide to Drink Packages on MSC Cruises. Order 1/2 portions of pasta dishes at Manfredis. Card Rating is based on the opinion of TPGs editors and is not influenced by the card issuer. Creating a Viking Ocean Cruise Packing List involves knowing, Extras (like medicines, toiletries, electronics, etc.). Is a balcony something you cant live without when staying in a cabin on a cruise ship? key: "e709d04de53049f94701c1c5a47e3cbb", Totally agree with Clay - I brought a sports jacket for my first river cruise and wore it once. Never brought it again to subsequent river and ocea Those who book a Deluxe Veranda (D2) or higher can make reservations at each restaurant pre-cruise. That said, if someone wants to go that route, why not! } The rest fall somewhere between the two extremes, but skewed toward casual. Sign up for McCool Travel updates. From the efficiency of the Viking Cruise breakfast room service to the gelato machines, it is fun to see. Although your stateroom has a safe, why bring jewelry that youll have to worry about possibly losing or misplacing? For more information, please read my privacy and disclosure policies at the end of this page. shipSlug: "viking-sea" Instead, take along a few playful pieces of, For men, the dress code is simple. For our early fall cruise in the Baltic Sea, the roof was always closed. The regular bartender at the Viking Bar knew our names and morning coffee order by about the third day. Secret Things to Do on Viking Ocean Cruises McCool Travel Packing the right clothing was a challenge (how chilly is it actually going to be and how much rain are we going to get are hard to guess in advance) but I think that in the end we did an okay job of choosing exactly what went into the suitcase. TIP: Many passengers enjoy relaxing at The Spa on sea days or on the deck in warm-weather climates.