It was all vinyl in the beginning. True-shows like Stephanie Miller On February 14, 2022, XETRA began running an "A to XYZ" alphabetical music marathon of the station's biggest hits from its nearly 40-year run. On my way out, I had to stop at HR and pick up my ratings bonus check. Most terminations were not prompted by falling ratings but by executive-led decisions to cut costs. Its summer and Ive got a ringside seat with His Resonance at a caf in Little Italy. Or is it about caring about your community? . Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartmann, and Rachel Maddow are also successful and profitable. KGB, KDEO, Q106 all subscribed to this philosophy. I think we have to examine the very top layers of the ownership based in San Antonio for the lack of concern for the public and for the management decisions made. This act enabled the bottom-feeders such as Clear Channel to xerox formats coast to coast, and own their former competition. Also, right wing talk radio is all they (the right) have. Talk and news radio are the success stories of the medium. My concern is Arbitron. I'm way outside of the demographic of Channel, Star, 91X, Sophie, and Z90 so I never tune them in. I think Josh and I should have a radio show. In 1997, Cantore got on board 91X. For those (few) who believe that the government has no business regulating the airwaves and who want to dump the corporate model entirely, there is pirate radio, also known as Free Radio San Diego (96.9 FM). 91x resurrection sunday playlist . Some are owned by Clear Channel and managed locally. To the person that thought it was lame that I posted here, wellokay, it's for "readers" comments. Were they ALL losing money? I have seen the 25-54s in about five markets other than Portand where Big Eddie wins his daypart over the rightie competitor. It was all about options: you can surf the channels and hear the same songs over and over again. A group called Save KLSD emerged which has now morphed into CPR-San Diego (or the Campaign for Progressive Radio). The revised format continues to incorporate some current music, but otherwise de-emphasizes songs newer than the early 2000s. As of 2007, 92 percent of those 12 and over listen to radio at least once a week for an hour. The format would remain largely unchanged. The point is they are rating leaders in the Los Angeles market. No, not if Sean Hannity is better than whoever else might be on in Sean Hannitys slot. As a cultural comparison, its why the New York Philharmonic is on Great Performances and not the Tijuana Symphony (no offense). ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Neither David Copley nor Bob Kittle nor the Copley Foundation (which put up millions to build KPBSs studios in 1995) nor anyone in the community has directly influenced the decisions he and Doug Myrland have made over the format of their news programs. If San Diego has a voice, it may be the plummy bass of Chris Cantore. Name the markets besides Portland (which I offered) where Franken or any of your lineup has been so successful. That KLSD produced a spectacular rise in the ratings. The fact was, AM1360 was the only station in town offering a format that would appeal to over 500K Democrats and a good deal of 350K independents. Opinion: Cruising in my lowrider is more than driving. Last songs played on 91X. Yet, she made more sense than all 4 of the liberal ladies on The View. Jerry Springer, who hosted the "Jerry Springer Show" for 27 years, died on April 27 from cancer, his rep and friend Jean Galvin confirmed to NBC News. Ive lost track of the pinch me moments Ive been lucky enough to experience. In early 2019, XETRA-FM changed their slogan to "Local. (Hilary refused comment for this story.). On this point, he dresses down Limbaugh, who during the presidential election never found a candidate to his liking. This was wrong. Deep recessions tend to put a damper on radio advertising revenue. starting MONDAY (4/24), we're sending you to @thecure Put another way, its the leadenness of radios need to replicate its formats for instance, conservative out-of-town hosts Sean Hannity, Dennis Miller, and Michael Medved lord it over midday talk which is challenged by the swiftness of listeners who, bored by such copies, plug their ears in elsewhere. I'm awaiting all those solid 25-54 numbers you keep touting. When the Big Three were on every week, did the public pressure the station to expand its stock of commentators? All media outlets were losing content to the Web. In 2005, the FCC amended its ownership rules to make leases of foreign stations attributable to ownership within the U.S. market they serve; this placed Clear Channel over the FCC's 8-station limit for the San Diego market. Fred jumps in, says Josh is full of it, and hilarity ensues. To get to the studio you had to drive up this hill to get to this dingy, cinder-block building. 91X played "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin as the final song of the AOR format. Tom Larson. Hey, a 35 year old can rebound, but what about someone who has done radio since they were 14 and are now 60.? At Star 100.7, Cantore answered the a.m. phones. Full disclosure: I've been working with Rick and I often host the show myself on Thursday nights. It really does. Four years ago at KOGO, Cliff Albert switched Dr. Laura from noon3:00 to an evening show and put Larson in. That would be my guess. Following this, Lynch, who had continued to manage 91X's programming operations, purchased the company. We were all disappointed that KLSD, the only liberal station in San Diego, was not delivering enough revenue. This cinched his decision to change the station from progressive talk to sports. And isnt that what local radio should be?. There was a time when 91x was truly cutting edge just like KROQ in Los Angeles. The two teamed up in 2011 for a podcast that aired online at utsandiego.com, which was owned by the Union-Tribune. [12] Glickenhaus left FCB in May 2007. Such issues have no opposing side, he says; no one is for child abuse. Did a guest or host pique your curiosity and cause you to dig and research a subject? @JV- keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. That studio reeked of the radio stations history: It was the most disgusting space spit, vomit, semen stained into the carpet and the couch, postcards, dust, ghetto mikes, dirt on the board, razorblade marks from friggin jocks of years past doing friggin lines of coke off the friggin board.. He later worked for KBZT before returning to 91X. Make sure things are local. Listen live 91X radio with Onlineradiobox.com. If youd told me in 1983 that Id get serenaded by Bono someday, I never would have believed you. [3] The signal was aimed squarely at the San Diego radio market. [2] The station is one of three Mexican outlets programmed by Local Media San Diego LLC, along with XHITZ-FM and XHRM-FM, in which an affiliated company owns a 49 percent non-voting stake; LMSD also owns KFBG. Do you know how much KLSD was earning at its peak? Media, a San Diego-based digital media start-up company. However, you are mistaken about the political views of the "Dave, Shelly, and Chainsaw" show. Jacor Communications was the first media conglomerate to own a pocketful of radio stations, purchasing 9 of them in the 1990s, including 91X. The growth rate for subscriber-based satellite radio has topped out at 19 million, adding a mere 200,000 listeners, or 1 percent, this year. According to numbers I have seen (I am a free-lance writer, and wrote an article about this last year) more than 35% of the listeners to shows like "All Things Considered" identify as conservatives and Republicans. The San Diego radio scene experienced its second shake-up of the new year with the Tuesday disclosure that the popular Cantore + Woods weekly morning show on KBZT FM 949 has been canceled. At some of the staff parties, [Lynch] would pull names out of the hat to give away prizes, like trips to Hawaii. TV. Right-wing political opinion had waned following the 2006 elections; it lost some of its steam, Larson says, because people were tired of talking about the war.. Roger Hedgecock and Stacy Taylor, another local favorite, following a five-minute news update, often open with 25-minute monologues. Mistakes are one of my favorite things to hear on the air, and I still make them all the time. 101.1 is usually good for something annoyingly 80s, interrupted by Elton John or Jesse's Girl for the 20th time that day. Cantore left X1FM in August. A song by Aerosmith comes on, everyone puts "loves," so the "classic rock" station doesn't drop it from the format. This month, the National City City Council reversed course and repealed a ban on car cruising that dated back to 1992. Alternative. Theyd try it for a month or two, and theyd get complaints from consumers. Haven't we always been about expanding rights of the individual and more social justice? Copyright 2023 All Access Music Group All rights reserved. It happened right here in this market. Funds for new programming dont exist, he says, since KPBS allocates only 25 percent of the stations total budget to the radio side. His optimism is irrepressible; it has the buoyancy of a surfer expecting that the next wave will be the one. Progressive talk gets the 25-54 year olds, and I offer as an illustration of that the success of both Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann on MSNBC-- their total ratings look only average, but their 24-54 year old numbers are not only competitive with Fox but even beat them some nights. Whats going on today? KROQ Program Director Rick Carroll was hired as station consultant. and our In December 2009, Finest City, faced with considerable debt and foreclosure, was forced to put the entire cluster up for sale after defaulting on a loan. Bombastic simplification is the foundation of conservatism, hence radio talk is dominated by neo-con knuckle-draggers. That's why they ought to be back on the air in San Diego. I thought Thom Hartmann and Ed Schultz were both great and had unique styles. March 3, 2023 6:21 PM PT. By May, Cantore was back on the air, 8:00noon weekdays, at X1FM. Randi Rhodes was also street-wise and spoke truth to power. Any twelve year old with an I-Pod and some speakers can perform the work of selecting and playing tracks, and the inane chatter between the songs has never been the reason I tuned-in. Best known in the market as part of the . But the U-T ate up this fake concern with a fork and spoon. I didnt until that last year. One day Albert realized that traditional radio advertisers banks, mortgage companies, and business owners, who tend to be more conservative didnt want to advertise on KLSD. A new mayor and two new council members were elected. All rights reserved. Media, a San Diego-based digital media start-up company, in the next month. USDOT 2210821, MC-767176 with operating status Not Authorized. Many San Diegans recall Alberts sterling silver voice, whose sound, like Cantores, is part of the audible fabric of our community. If you start googling around, you'll discover that this was the same corporate "rationale" that was offered in many other cities. The flummoxed looks and dopey rejoinders are worthy of Lenos Jaywalking on The Tonight Show. I'll post updates on "what's next" for yours truly as I'm able to do so. With the coming challenges, we'd better figure out how to unite efforts and cease with the constant haranguing about personal choices. But thankfully, I no longer have to rely on them finding music on my behalf since I now can easily find it myself. There was a companywide buzz to change, he says, since Dr. Laura, with a new book, was pushing toward a focus on family problems and personal morality. Dennis Prager? They dont know any better., Lo_Keys main complaint is that too many people like what they know. And it was pirate radios job to shake up such dependency. Clear Channel has done one thing right though. LOGIX TRANSPORT INC is carrier company located at 2345 MARCONI CT SUITE B, San Diego, CA, 92154. Cookie files from analytics systems, social networks and other services help us to customise our website to better match your interests. Innovation takes time, energy, experimentation, devotion, and commitment to do something differently. Lowriders and other community members who had called the ban discriminatory and racist rejoiced, and now some are lobbying for a new state law to end bans statewide. Hundreds of listeners staged at least two rallies at the Clear Channel offices to protest the plan to shut it down. And, Al Franklin was a flop. Sign Up; Log In; Messenger . And yet, despite his talent and his stellar success, once Stern changed his format, he tanked. The public has abandoned them as the war dragged on, as they paid $70 and more to fill up at the pumps and as their 401Ks and holdings have dropped by 40%. Jimmy Eat World. People listened to radios because they couldn't carry a turntable around with them. Its inspiring and Im excited to move forward., Headliner Dave Alvin was one of 60 acts performing at 20 venues at the annual free music festival Saturday. I still believe in this community and in new media.. Its the thrill of anonymity, Lo_Key says. John and Ken are a horrible show. You just have to roll with it as a DJ. I thought, silly me, I could walk out of 15 years radio experience and pick my [next] job. I think 94.9 has a better play list, but I still like to tune into Chris Cantore in the morning sometimes. Then came the suits. Dont miss out. OK, Mike Malloy brought a sardonic edge that was probably an acquired tasteprobably as close to a "Michael Savage on the left" as there was. Im, like, Wow. A few stations, their transmission towers located in Mexico, broadcast entirely canned content. Did the show teach you something new? John Lynch at 1700 AM signed Larson to do the 5:009:00 morning show and to be the stations program director. His father, Dick Carlson, was a local TV anchor and ran for mayor of San Diego. Were blowing off the core. Look at the result of the last election- McCain and crew couldn't find their collective starfishies with a funnel, and Obama had the fundraising machine in full tilt swing. No matter what field youre in, talent is the scarcest of commodities., Ramsey says that though San Diegans tell researchers theyd like local programming, they are often just giving the right answer. Its the sort of question that supposes local should be preferred to regional or national. Same as it ever was. In 2005, the Federal Communications Commission ruled that Clear Channel had to divest its Mexican-leased properties. Listeners are more brilliant than the people pushing the buttons.. I still have my black corduroy 91X hat. Now that I think about it, I heard Randi Rhodes for an hour, and she wasn't half bad. FM 94.9 has a lineup of local deejays, with Mike Halloran, one of our towns longest-running talents, still on afternoons. This page is not available in other languages. (Junior went on to win the primary and the general election.) The reason Al Franken left radio to run for the senate, is he was an abject failure in talk radio. Clear Channel is a fine company. Perhaps, this is a temporary station problem. But overall, the radio industry is sluggish. Everybody ends up bruised. I met this 400 pound Italian guy, that would quote Michael Savage and Michael Corleon all the time. It's not unique anymore. Hosted by Tim Pyles every Sund 91X Loudspeaker If Seacrest is successful here, the move may send a shockwave through such perennials as Jeff and Jer or Dave, Shelley, and Chainsaw. Im not one to curse; I just want to be able to play what I want without restrictions. I doubt they'd have done that if he didn't deserve it-- it's based on ratings and revenue figures. Corrections. articles placing Diana NYAD in Florida, 1953-1956. ), YEW! A trusted voice in the local music scene since 1983. 92014. This was before the #MeToo movement, and even though I was terrified of losing my job, it got so bad that I finally reported him to corporate HR twice! We want to fight the system. Part of what eggs on Lo_Key and others is that the FCC considers us terrorists.. Time in San Diego: 22:15, 04.27.2023. Is it necessarily wrong that Sean Hannity is on the air locally while he broadcasts out of New York? Not surprisingly, theres a link between these listeners and social-networking sites such as MySpace: 41 percent of weekly online listeners have personal Internet profiles. KFI 640 AM baby! San Diego Screaming If you remember, the Stern show used to be carried on the E! and what the new KLSD sports format is earning? 8. I love to listen to stations that inform and entertain. All the boys upstairs want to see According to eMarketer, half of the online audience listens to nonlocal programming or specialized Internet music sites, and half to local stations. Has nothing to do with "fair and balanced" or what the public appetite is about. Hilary Doneux poses in 91X Studios booth on Monday, February 27 in San Diego, CA. Once listeners understand that talk and music sources are virtually infinite, fewer of them will stay with the familiar geography of the AM and FM dials. And if we want to believe that FCC laws that the "public owns the airwaves"that with the 9 stations that Clear Channel owns, isn't there a legitimate public interest argument to provide some diversity of opinion, even if the station was breaking even? Behind Aguirres charge was the presumption that someone other than KPBS may have been directing the shows, and by extension, the stations editorial content. Radio needs to seek out independent average joes for ideas and pay them to try out new ideas. Not cool. Cantore got his start in San Diego radio at KFMB in 1994, then moved to 91X in 1997 for 11 years. TL. I have no horse in this race, I am all about building audience, if I could program Hawaiian Reggae and win, I would. http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1039/post-election-perspectives. Take, for example, that little fight on The View the other day. Air America's fatal error was choosing comedians and people with no experience doing talk radio. [2] I imagine there are others. Cliff does a marvelous job, and the station speaks for itself. It ends up being a personal electronic device or satellite radio. I listen to downloads, Internet radio, satellite radio, cable radio, FM 94/9, and podcasts for music. That's weak. Its like a big love fest., And yet, underscoring the volatility of local media, the love ended almost as quickly as it began. 91X is 91X again, unlike any other station anywhere. I was so freaked out afterwards that I made him follow me home, just in case the Blair Witch found its way to Mission Beach. Install the free Online Radio Box app for your smartphone and listen to your favorite radio stations online - wherever you are! (Photo by Hayne Palmour IV / UT San Diego / Zuma Press) Halloran began his tenure at 91X in 1987. Last June, Hilary and her midday local show at 94.1 were replaced by Ryan Seacrest of American Idol fame. Ramsey disputes Alberts notion that San Diegos radio audience is moderate to conservative. The new era began at 10:00am today, all on-air talent will remain and popular weekly features including Resurrection Sunday, Church of Bob, Project X, and 91X Loudspeaker, will also stay in their respective time slots. See, the moniker is less important than the content. To record his work he uses his home studio in Leucadia or the one in his cabin on Palomar Mountain. Necessary cookies are responsible for the basic functionality of Online Radio Box. With the cancellation of Full Focus, 12 employees were laid off, including news director Michael Marcotte. Potential listeners are ready for solutions and civil discourse . which probably might explain how many on the left and right have retreated to KPBS. With that spirit in mind, we are re-launching 91X in a new presentation that has no current industry definition, so we are calling the format what we are: 91X. That's where people will get all of their mail, news, music, and other entertainment. No, I do not work for Jones (although I have, but not recently), and I do not work for Air America. Lynch simultaneously owned Broadcast Company of the Americas, another cluster of border blaster stations in the San Diego/Tijuana market. And years later, when FCC laws were more slack, he finally said it before jumping into some Stones track. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Various - 91X Saint Doug - San Diego Local Music Soundtrack - Used CD - J7427A at the best online prices at eBay! On September 5, 1978, XETRA-FM moved to 91.1MHz and began broadcasting with 100,000 watts from a new transmitter site atop Mount San Antonio. GREETINGS AND SALUTATIONS FROM THE BIG APPLE , 6160 Cornerstone Court, East Suite 150 San Diego, CA 92121. Music fans taste-test contemporary folk rock at Adams Avenue Unplugged, Meet Eslabon Armado and Peso Pluma, the Mexican regional stars making history on the pop charts, From the Archives: All About Harry Belafonte, Review: Jerod Tate work shines in San Diego Symphony concert at Sycuan Casino, Dave Alvin on making music, living with cancer and performing in churches, Music Notebook: All-star Daniel Jackson tribute, Lukas Nelson & POTR, King Britt and Friends, San Diego Cityscape: Meet the man who will guide San Diego-Tijuanas World Design Capital 2024, Chef Gordon Ramsay brings MasterChef film crew to San Diego for the day, Linda Ronstadt on her new book, Parkinsons disease, racism and religion: Im a practicing atheist, Momentous: Asian Americans laud Anna May Wongs US quarter, Art of the City: Griselda Rosas explores visions of inheritance, both cultural and familial, Review: Lambs Players Baskerville a wacky quick-change mystery, Immersive experiences have taken over downtown San Diego. I wonder what figures you saw for NPR. A three-hour wait back across the border wasnt unusual. Radio was never meant to be packaged in a corporate environment. I could offer one of my podcast shows on a terrestrial stick and radio can pay me a fee for the service, while selling the advertising slots so they make money. Use our service to find it! Straming from Jakarta, indonesia-- 91X has been my fave radio stat since my college years in San Diego.. some 30 years back. The "official" first song after the on-air announcement was "Once in a Lifetime" by Talking Heads.