I have not noticed issues that have been mentioned in previous comments. As with most other aluminum-receiver shotguns, there is a reinforcing steel strip inletted vertically into the standing breech that encompasses the firing-pin holes. Now on to pheasants. Not fun at all. I am a woodworker (milling, turning, furniture, etc), so I know quite a bit about wood finish and protection. WHICH BERETTA/BENELLI CHOKE SYSTEM IS RIGHT. I am sending it back again. Pull trigger twice and open barrels again. Included in this set is a 16 yard choke with a .020 constriction, a 22 yard choke with a .030 constriction, and a 27 yard choke with a .040 constriction. Franchi Momentum Elite Bolt-Action Rifle in Varmint Configurations, .458 Winchester Magnum History: The Complete Story, 5 Best Long-Range Hunting Bullets Available Right Now, Ruger MAX-9 9mm Micro-Sized High-Capacity Pistol: Review. Custom Mossberg 500 at the Range and Live Turkey!. Joseph Von Benedikt is with Rafe Nielsen of Browning to take a look at a new X-Bolt series rifle. All Rights Reserved, Battle of the Budgets: Stevens 555 vs. Tristar Trinity. In all, I was very impressed with the performance of the Stevens 555 Enhanced. Sure, making the jig would obviously cost some money. Turkish walnut stock and forend with checkering. Turkey has been manufacturing arms for centuries, and many of them are of excellent quality. The lady I spoke to in customer service said she would check with the gunsmith and put me on hold. with the option of a 26- or 28-inch barrel in 20-gauge. Walther's new Performance Duty Pistol is ready for both concealed carry and conventional service situations. Like the previous gun, the 555 comes in 12, 20, 28 and .410. Stevens 555 from $749.99 Cabelas.com Stevens 555 from $505.99 Guns.com. I have already seen their fix for shoddy machining/metal finishing on the choke tubes. As expected, all loads functioned perfectly, and there were no malfunctions of any kind. I also try to point out where some money has been saved to meet the price. And face it, aluminum is about the easiest metal to ding up. The safety is manual (which I like) and incorporates the barrel selector. ALL CHOKE TUBES FOR STEVENS SHOTGUNS Muller Chokes produces chokes for Stevens 512 Gold Wing 12 gauge, 20 gauge and 28 gauge shotguns. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". The Stevens 555 and 555E are available in .410 bore as well as 28-, 20-, 16-, and 12-gauges. The light weight was noticeable when carrying but not when shooting. Is there a different 12 gauge you recommend similarly priced? Joseph VonBenedikt is with Joel Hodgdon to talk about the improved accuracy and long-range potential of the already reliable Core-Lokt ammo line. I bought the gun, and when it arrived I discovered that the trigger pull was actually 8.5 lbs. The factory chokes work well, patterning as they should. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. Using a 2 3/4 inch 7/8 oz. Stevens has been sending these pieces of junk back to the owners and telling them that there is nothing wrong. Unlike the base models in Stevens 555 line, the E (for enhanced) version sports nicely figured laser engraved filigree on its aluminum receiver. Choke designations are marked by notches on the front lip, so that you can see what you have installed without removing them. It fired hundreds of different rounds and reliably ejected the shells. Ive read about double firings but have yet to experience one after hundreds of rounds. The only other accessory is the particularly uninformative manual, which lacks even a parts diagram. Its like getting that first big scratch in your car, but this didnt even walk 2 miles yet. Thats by far the most expensive part of a shotgun to produce. Length of Pull: 14 18 inches Which is the most effective way to prevent viral foodborne illnesses? I tested 3 different over and under single trigger guns in my collection. $59.99. Taurus has redesigned this sporting pistol for performance. Check availability here. Both guns are fine for knocking down birds. The 3 -inch 12-gauge shell had been . Metal Finish: Silver receiver with 100% engraving, matte-black barrels. Savage Arms Stevens 555 Matte Black 410 Gauge 3in Over and Under Action Shotgun - 26in -The Stevens 555 Over/Under shotgun is a 410 gauge with a 26in barrel, bead sight, and a single selective mechanical trigger. I polished all meeting surfaces, camming surfaces or rubbing surfaces to a 4 to 16 finish. I often take it quail hunting instead of my Franchiis or Benelli Ultralight. Stoeger Condor Field Features: 12 gauge with 28 and 26 barrels. I called Stevens and all they have to sell is the set that comes with the gun, no skeet choke. Weight: 6.5 pounds We show you how. I may buy the 555E. Stevens 320 use the Browning Invector (not invector plus or DS) choke tubes. Copyright document.write(new Date().getFullYear()) Carlson's. Our 28" 12-gauge Enhanced was listed as weighing 6 pounds even but actually weighed a hair more than 6 pounds 5 ounces. The Model 555 handled all loads, from the light 3/4-ounce 'Trainer ' to the heaviest 3-inch magnum steel shot loads. If you hear a loud click, it is auto eject. The 301 series of break-action shotguns is manufactured for Savage Arms by Sun City Machinery Co. in China. Not being in electronic publishing, I wouldnt know the names of them. The stocks on ST's sample guns show a modicum of figure and have a nice semigloss oil finish. VIEW PRODUCT Stevens 555 Trap Pak I have several Turkish shotguns (Huglu CZs) and they are very good guns. Checkering was laser-cut in a very-fine-lines-per-inch pattern. Now I face a dilemma: Do I call Savage/Stevens and have them do something about the finish work or do I utilize my time and talents to refinish the stock? What choke do I have here? Whenever I touch the metal part of a gun, I am reminded of what my old friend Myron Feemster used to say: "Ya know why they put wood on a gun? This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. The Stevens 555 E gives you everything youd want in a budget over/under in an impressive looking package. Total Length: 44 7/8 inches The 3-inch chamber will accept either 2 3/4 or 3 inch 12-gauge shells, and the magazine will hold up to four shells, though a plug is provided in order to limit capacity to two. the font. I think I made it pretty clear that this is a Turkish gun. Slim, light, ergonomically perfect, and fitted to the owner, it comes as close as any firearm can to becoming part of the shooter. The first is a flush-style choke tube. Once built, slap two barrels onto the jig and braze/weld away. The basic gun was introduced in 2014; the 555 Enhanced is new. But the forend cocking stud is steel, as is the forend latch. The Stevens 555E features auto ejectors, an imperial walnut stock, laser-engraved filigree ornament, a tang safety, single-selective mechanical triggers, a lightweight aluminum receiver reinforced with steel, and the gun ships with a dandy hard case and five interchangeable choke tubes. Not price. The gun comes complete with five flush choke tubes (cylinder, IC, modified, IM and full), making it suitable for anything from low house skeet crossers to circling teals. By giving up 1.5 pounds to its chunkier competitors, the 555 E makes shooting 2 2/4-inch loads something of a shoulder-punishing endeavor. I think if you want a lustrous hand rubbed finish with filled pores, youre going to have to do it yourself. No springs, etc., were modified. A field gun needs to be three things: comfortable, accurate and light. I looked like the put it on a flat grinder and didnt do any finish work. Subscribe to Our Newsletter to get Special Deals & New Product Announcements: UNHAPPY TURKEYS HIT BY CARLSONS DEVASTATING PATTERNS THIS SPRING! My little 20 has served me well in two hunting seasons. While I'd like to report that I slew a slew of doves and brought down a bunch of the tasty little webfoots, alas, I cannot. The chokes in this set feature a 25% longer parallel . all the better, its a tool, not a social status. Subscriber Services. by duurmeehr July 11th, 2018, 12:21 am. Thus, the overall weight comparison reflects the two model builds. Aside from that build difference, the similarities between these two guns are eerie for shotties coming out of different Turkish factories. Have any preference in font/size that you find easier to read? Single selective trigger. Interchanges with Carlson's Stevens 555 style threads. While the Stevens is marked as being manufactured at KOFS, Turkey, the Tristar Trinity stampings indicate its conception at Kayhan/Khan, Turkey. They probably just dunk them in a finish tank and call it good. If its in WordPress list of font choices, and it isnt offensive to me or other older folks, Ill change it. This inexpensive (notice I didnt say cheap? This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. The Stevens 555 Enhanced is flat out a shooter. and an ounce or so under 6 lbs. While beauty is often in the eye of the beholder, it is difficult to argue against the beauty of the Tristar Trinity, especially when considering this is marketed as a value-priced hunting-specific shotgun. And the manufacturer would allocate that cost over the thousands of shotguns that they would produce. Other than a removable floorplate, the receiver is one solid piece of metal, ensuring that there is no flex between the top and bottom receiver tangs. 680 Commercial StreetRockport, Maine 04856 Upland hunters love variety. The Model 555 handled all loads, from the light 3/4-ounce 'Trainer ' to the heaviest 3-inch magnum steel shot loads. Manual safety. The initial run had the basic grade and the enhanced grade, with 12, 20, and 28 gauges available, as well as the .410. The finish was low-luster-oil-like and, as with many current European guns, did not fully fill the grain. Looks great! Some 0000 steel wool, Hoppe's No. The light carry weight would be most welcome toward the end of a long days pheasant hunt. The Stevens 555E, though not quite as flashy, is still surprisingly attractive for another budget-friendly O/U. I think it is the Win-browning invector-moss 500 model # 38008 with .555 constriction. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Savage/Stevens 411: Interchanges with Carlson's standard Tru Choke style threads Savage/Stevens 12ga 555: Interchanges with Carlson's Stevens 555 style threads Not bad at all. My sons, each using 12 gauge Remington 11-87s, are better shots than me and can nearly one dove for each shell fired. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. I understand this is a Turkish build, but so are most fine dbl shotguns. Stock: Pistol grip, oil finish, 14 x 1 x 21/8. https://www.opticsplanet.com/carlson-s-choke-tubes-stevens-555-12ga-sporting-clay.html?_iv_color=stainless&_iv_code=8C-CB-SVSSC-15552.