Tips: Bring drinks. The service departs San Francisco at 20:42 in the evening, which arrives into Seattle at 19:51. Right now it's too expensive to travel some of the longer routes. Whether its a full sit-down meal or more informal food service, many trains have one or more options for onboard dining. RT @NYCComptroller: Increasing the #MinimumWage in NYC should directly address the rising cost of living. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'groundedlifetravel_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_5',113,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-groundedlifetravel_com-large-mobile-banner-2-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'groundedlifetravel_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_6',113,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-groundedlifetravel_com-large-mobile-banner-2-0_1'); .large-mobile-banner-2-multi-113{border:none !important;display:block !important;float:none !important;line-height:0px;margin-bottom:7px !important;margin-left:auto !important;margin-right:auto !important;margin-top:7px !important;max-width:100% !important;min-height:250px;padding:0;text-align:center !important;}The Coast Starlight only runs once per day, but the Pacific Surfliner runs multiple times per day. Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information. Baggage is placed in one of Amtrak's new Viewliner II single-level baggage cars or in designated coach-class cars. Build the right vacation to fit your budget. For the best prices on this route, book in May when the average ticket price is only$97. 01 May 2023 17:51:49 When it got dark I returned to my coach seat - which was broken and I had to reach down to manually recline the seat. If you're on a budget, you'll find cheap tickets from $96. Is the train from Seattle to San Francisco scenic? to San Francisco Intl. Amtrak is the one and only train line which connects Seattle to San Francisco. Leaving us enough time to make it to the hotel, and plenty of time Togo to the venue, and find our seats. We had come for my moms birthday, as she has always wanted to take the train down the coast. King Street Station is placed on the Caltrain commuter rail line and is located approximately 3 miles from downtown San Francisco. With just a quick search on Wanderu, you can compare bus and train schedules and prices from hundreds of travel companies in one convenient place to find the trip that works best for you. The scenery isn't very exciting along I-5 so prepare yourself for long stretches of monotony, but a couple of highlights include stops such as Ashland, Oregon, or Redding, California, with easy access to both Mount Shasta and Lassen Volcanic National Park. Explore helpful videos and webinars with virtual tours of our rail journeys. See a rail vacation package you like, but it would be even better with an extra day at the beginning or end of the journey? Prices were available within the past 7 days and start at $69 for one-way flights and $132 for round trip, for the period specified. Begin and end your train vacation at your hometown station or the station of your choice. As Amtrak trains fill up, the price goes up. There are 4 types of sleeper car rooms on the Coast Starlight. Discover our newest vacations created just for you. There is one daily train from Seattle to San Francisco. How virus free is the ventilation on sleeper car. I wasn't shy about asking questions. Was it because I was in the bathroom. The SeattleSan Diego train became the Coast Daylight/Starlight (#11-12) northbound and Coast Starlight/Daylight (#13-14) southbound. An email with password reset instructions is on the way. However, there are services departing from Seattle and arriving at Civic Center / UN Plaza via Lake Merritt. Your options are unlimited, we have thousands of stations from Florida to California and everywhere in between. The area through Cascade Bridge near the Willamette Pass is worth the journey, and the route from Seattle to San Francisco includes forests, valleys, and scenic views of the San Francisco Bay. 90% of travelers recommend this experience. Northbound Service - Weekend Service to San Francisc; Zone Train No. Looking for cheap train tickets to San Francisco? If I hadn't come up and into the lounge car I wouldn't have seen "Sacramento" out the window. Danielle, The staff kept apologizing and saying that this never happens. The Los Angeles to Seattle route is 1,377 miles. The 35-hour route covers 350 miles through Washington, Oregon and California countryside, making about 30 stops, including Santa Barbara, the San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento and Portland, Oregon. If two passengers are riding, you can just double the price for Coach and Business, but the price of the Sleeper Room will be less than double for two people. A grand west coast train adventure, en route daily between Los Angeles and Seattle, the Coast Starlight train passes through Santa Barbara, the San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento and Portland. Behind a modern curved faade lies San Franciscos commuter hub, the Salesforce Transit Center. The sleeper car was about double what the plane tickets would . Bakersfield to San Francisco - 6h 03m [20], On February 24, 2019, the southbound Coast Starlight struck a fallen tree near Oakridge, Oregon after a rare heavy snowstorm. National Railroad Passenger Corporation, https://www.amtrak.com/content/amtrak/en-us/routes/coast-starlight-train. The dramatic snow-covered peaks of the Cascade Range and Mount Shasta, lush forests, fertile valleys and long stretches of Pacific Ocean shoreline provide a stunning backdrop for your journey. $135. The trip was nice for the most part. Along the trip an announcement was always made prior to arriving at the next stop. If you will instead be traveling with Caltrain, you may also have free access to Wi-Fi. Most days, there is only one train which leaves Seattle at 9:00am and arrives in San Francisco around 23 hours later. On some signs, this is written as San Francisco/Pts Baypoint or SF BAY PT. _ @ " $ # ,). Where would I have ended up? Catching the Coast Starlight as a tourist allows you to see glimpses of the US that would never get to see on a short trip, be it the stunning remote coastline at sunset or the sad sight of the homeless tent towns as you pass under bridges and outskirts of cities. Our Rail Vacation Consultants or a local Travel Advisor will assist you in making any adjustments to fit your travel style. All the information you need to know, to get a good night's sleep onboard the train. Stretch out and relax with your very own bedroom during your Amtrak train trip! Greetings Allie and Rob First and foremost I have to, Hello, the trains that go long distances are almost always. [11][12][13], The Coast Starlight originally used the Southern Pacific West Valley Line between Tehama and Davis. Your password must be at least 8 characters long, include at least 1 alpha character, and include at least 1 number or special character (- ? Traveling by train from Seattle to San Francisco usually takes around 23 hours and 30 minutes, but some trains might arrive slightly earlier or later than scheduled. Can you take a train all the way from Seattle to San Francisco? Don't leave your car behind when you travel - bring your car with you while on the Amtrak Auto Train. If you're thinking of traveling from Seattle to San Francisco during August, keep in mind that train ticket prices may be higher than usual, with an average price of $165 during this time of year. You will have cell service for much of your trip though. If two passengers are riding, you can just double the price for Coach and Business, but the price of the Sleeper Room will be less than double for two people. Take your small dog or cat along with you on the train. Every Amtrak train comes equipped with comfortable seats with extra legroom, as well as several four-seat areas with tables in the middle. Although masks are no longer required on public transportation, we stand behind CDC guidelines that encourage passengers to wear a mask over their nose and mouth while on the train or in stations. If youre looking to take the scenic route then this selection offers some of the very best views in North America. Big Sur Monterey California Coast McWay Falls from San Jose, Yosemite National Park and Giant Sequoias Trip from San Jose, California Coast Big Sur Monterey to Los Angeles - 2 Day, BEST Seattle Amtrak Coast Starlight Redwood 8 day Tour from SF, Private High Country Fly Fishing Adventure, The Ultimate Yosemite National Park Full Experience- 5 Days Vacation Package. The best way to travel between Seattle and San Francisco is by train. King Street Station is the main station for Amtrak train service and Greyhound bus service in Seattle, with connections to local public transit like the Link Light Rail and King County Metro at the International District/Chinatown station one block away. Earn points toward reward travel, upgrades and more. Looking for ways to pass the time? 611: 613: 615: 617: 619: 621: 623: 625: 627: 631: 633: 635: 637: 639: 641: 643 . Traveling by train from Seattle to San Francisco usually takes 23 hours and 30 minutes, but some trains might arrive slightly earlier or later than scheduled. If you will be taking a train to San Francisco for work-related reasons, you may want to arrive at King Street Station. He begged everyone to be patient with him but he had no patience for anyone else. We booked a sleeper which comes with complimentary food in the dinning car. It will take you more than 3 hours by car to reach that point, though, because Washingtons various interconnected waterways prevent a direct drive to the coast. Still, you'll have access to both a snack bar and a dining car, as well as an observation car for taking in views of places like Sacramento and Portland, Oregon. He enjoys doing landscape and astrophotography while on the road. There are some unique features to the Coast Starlight that make it stand out from other Amtrak Trains. [10] From November 10, 1996, to October 25, 1997, through coaches were transferred between the Coast Starlight and San Diegan at Los Angeles. Additional terms apply. from. In July 2008, refurbished Pacific Parlour cars returned to service as part of the relaunch. As Amtrak trains fill up, the price goes up. Hire a local sommelier and driver for an insightful and safe visit to some of the areas 30 wineries. The scenery along the Coast Starlight route is unsurpassed. Chicago, IL Seattle, WA San Francisco, CA Muir Woods, CA Chicago, IL. See our customers' most favorite rail vacations. Economy seats begin around $90, though if you'd like a good night's sleep, you're better off splurging on a roomette with a bed (prices start at $350 for a room for two). It was cold even though I layered my clothing. Low point of the adventure was the train being an hour and a half late pulling into Sacramento from L.A., making it 1:30 in the a.m. when we got on the train to head north. Whether or not this service is offered will depend on the specific train that you will be traveling on. Even though the train route offers some picturesque spots, the ultimate scenic route is to drive along the coast. Bus Tours. The lightweight blanket I brought was not adequate. Many travelers choose trains from Seattle to San Francisco because the scenery is nice. The people in Sacramento provided us with some water and did a good job pre-boarding us so that getting on the train was quite easy and quick. What Is the Cheapest Way to Get From Seattle to San Francisco? Cons: The toilets could use an upgrade. If the city's omnipresent fog (nicknamed "Karl the Fog" by locals) takes a break, the best views and Instagram photo ops of the world-famous Golden Gate Bridge are found in Golden Gate Park. You can also take a train for your return trip from San Francisco to Seattle. The Coast Starlight runs over the following lines:[32], The Coast Starlight is occasionally diverted between Oakland and Los Angeles via the Central Valley and Tehachapi Pass due to track work or service disruptions on the Coast Line. Search San Francisco trains on KAYAK. We all had to cram into a bus for the final let of the trip. [18] During early summer 2008, the Coast Starlight was relaunched with new amenities and refurbished equipment. California high-speed rail will connect the mega-regions of the state, contribute to economic development and a cleaner environment, create jobs and preserve agricultural and protected lands. Sacramento, CA - Sacramento Valley Station (SAC), Oakland, CA - Jack London Square Station (OKJ), San Luis Obispo, CA - Amtrak Station (SLO). [7] Both trains were cut back from San Diego to Los Angeles in April 1972, replaced by a third San Diegan. The ride takes approximately 20 hours (not to worrythere's a bathroom on board, and the bus makes several stops for food, though bring snacks to ward off any interim hunger) and often connects in Portland. Rotating food trucks, cafs, carts, and pop-up retail make this a dynamic and vibrant destination in itself. It is far wiser to plan your trip on a Saturday, as tickets on that day are less costly because the trains are less crowded. Pros: Affordable and I didn't have to drive. There's only one BART station at SFO. I would argue for the Portland to Seattle route. KAYAK searches hundreds of travel sites to help you find cheap train fares and book the train that suits you best. If you would like a snack or drink, you can head to one of the several vending machines in the station. Classic and well known routes across America. Trip Details. Hello I am traveling with a bicycle. (avg. Compare Seattle, Washington Cost of Living vs San Francisco, California Cost of Living: Taxes, Childcare, Groceries, Health. Taste the regions bounty at one of Americas largest farmers markets or enjoy the surf at Pismo and Avila beaches. Our train was supposed to arrive at 3:25 pm. Tickets also tend to be more expensive then. We traveled from Seattle to San Francisco (Emeryville) in May 2022. Since we traveled in May, we could see more of the Cascade mountains in Southern Oregon. By mid-summer in 2006 delays of 511 hours were common. The schedules shown below are for the next available departures. You can book a trip directly to San Francisco that includes the bus. The Coast Starlight is a long-distance route with total trip time of about 35 hours. Looking for cheap train tickets to San Francisco? The best time to buy an Amtrak ticket to get the cheapest price is as soon as you know youll be taking the trip. We respond within minutes to help you out. We will get off and have lunch in whatever town it puts us in during that timeframe. While there are no restaurants at the station, there are many restaurants nearby in the event you wanted to eat before your trip. I rode from Olympia, WA to Sacramento, CA. A standout feature of the Salesforce Transit Center is a public five-acre rooftop park which gives travelers an open space to relax. Paid for the bedroom using Amtrak points/miles. It does not have the same amenities as the Coast Starlight. For a limited time only, save $350 per couple on our 'West Coast to East Coast Rail Experience from Los Angeles' vacation inclusive of 10 nights or more. Upgrade to a sleeping accommodation onboard the train. Alaska Airlines, Delta, and United all fly direct between SeaTac and the San Francisco Bay Area with a flight time of about two hours and 15 minutes. However, when I got onto the train for my return trip in Seattle I found out that they were still running on a skeleton crew and there were still no meals in the dining car. Southbound:Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. [22][23] On May 24, 2021, as part of its post-COVID service restorations, Amtrak restored the Coast Starlight frequency to daily service in both directions. What other stations north of Oakland are the baggage doors opened. A short ferry ride to Bainbridge Island includes the chance to see orca whales in the Puget Sound, or you can catch the Amtrak Cascades train or one of several affordable bus options from the historic King Street Station to other exciting Northwest cities in British Columbia, Oregon and beyond. Tickets are available at Amtrak.com. Redding to San Francisco - 5h 58m From here, a complimentary Amtrak bus will drive you over to San Francisco's Salesforce Plaza, where you should arrive by 9 a.m. [33][34], The train uses double-decker Superliner I & II equipment, including a Sightseer Lounge car that has floor-to-ceiling windows to view the passing scenery. The Coast Starlight is better than the Pacific Surfliner for seeing the California Coast and the Pacific Ocean. To enter San Francisco, you'll have to pay a toll on whichever bridge you use. The base prices of tickets on the Coast Starlight are: Coach $101. That route included a stop at Orland,[14] but bypassed Sacramento. When are the first and last trains of the day? Located near downtown Seattle in the trendy Pioneer Square neighborhood, King Street Station opened in 1906 and continues to impress travelers with its restored Italian architecture and Venetian-style clocktower.