Pop, 12. First recorded by The Temptations, but a huge hit for The Undisputed Truth in 1971, heres the hard-edged aspect of Motown, superbad and tough. Adult Contemporary, 4. The terrible irony is, The Supremes didnt sing on it at all, though you can hear Bristols voice urging Diana onwards and upwards. K.H. Who wouldnt want to be so loved? Discover the best Motown love songs. Upside Down Diana Ross / U.S. Adult Contemporary, 7. In 1959, an aspiring songwriter and record producer named Berry Gordy Jr. borrowed $800 to start his own record label in Detroit. Where Did Our Love Go The Supremes / U.S. Do I Do Stevie Wonder / U.S. Dance/Disco, 1. The upbeat tempo contrasts to the cringeworthy moment as her heels slide up and down the marble tile to the euphoric horns very rock & roll. What a single. Where Do We Go From Here Stacey Lattisaw with special guest Johnny Gill / U.S. R&B, #1 cover version by Vanessa Williams: U.S. R&B, 1. Today, Forever - Extended Version (DVD, 2016, 6-Disc Set) $49.99. The Motown Museum is unveiling renderings today that depict a crisp, lush, bustling outdoor plaza at Hitsville, U.S.A., on West Grand Boulevard. The Love You Save The Jackson 5 / U.S. We want to hear it. Think weve missed any of the best Motown songs? Such a shame the world lost her at such a young age. Best motown songs 1. The Tops in 1967 were on a roll, including this huge. Those pumps gonna strut. Pop, 14. Motowns classic period may have long ended by the time the Nineties rolled around, but the labels biggest hit was yet to come. More than 40 years after its release, it still knows its built and knows how to please. An ode to staying positive during difficult times a very vogue-ish song subject matter during the Vietnam era I Just Want to Celebrate fused a beefy funk groove, a wild rock-style wah-wah guitar solo, and a midsong breakdown. This lighter-than-air party anthem hit Number One in 1983, helping make Richie one of the most famous pop stars on the planet. Runaway Child, Running Wild The Temptations / U.S. R&B, 2. Say You, Say Me Lionel Richie / U.S. Confirmation that the junior genius had matured and then some. It was the start of several brokenhearted hits for her, and the songs gaping vulnerability touched a nerve inspiring versions by Aretha Franklin and the Clash, among others. It feels so real but its just my imagination running away from me. The tune is one of Kendricks finest vocals the Tempts Otis Williams remembers him staying up all night to nail it but by the time it hit Number One, Kendricks, who had become frustrated with the Temptations, had already quit the group. Rhythm of The Night DeBarge / U.S. R&B U.S. Its hard to decide which is more joyous, the opening horns or Wonders la la las,but they blend together to produce the kind of sunshine-soul pop that could only exist in 1969. Sam Armstrong, This massive hit for The Four Tops wasnt just a No. Shotgun Jr. Walker & the All-Stars / U.S. R&B, 16. Soulful Detroit Tours, JOIN US! A US No.1 in 1977, and still a club classic. With a Number Three pop hit that was his first single to top the R&B charts, Wonder was just getting started. Your extended versions of Needle In A Haystack and All I Know About You are my personal favourites, Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. B.S. Pop U.S. R&B U.K. Australia Canada Ireland, 15. But when a song like this was the result, it was worth arguing over. J.D. With Dianas name now in lights, The Supremes set about tackling the problem of delivering soul in a psychedelic year (1967) by making a psychedelic soul record. Man, he was one of the major forces in the Motown sound, Stevie Wonder told Rolling Stone in 1973, just a few years after Benjamins fatal stroke. End Of The Road spent a quarter of a year at US No.1, and Boyz II Men went on to beat that performance, twice! Do It To Me Lionel Richie / U.S. R&B, 9. Scroll down for the full tracklisting, and pre-order it here. Humongous talent! Looking for more? Check out Forever More: The Complete Motown Albums Vol. Brick Houses curious compliment for a mighty mighty female, with lyrics penned by Shirley Hanna-King, wife of the bands hornsman William King, was a US smash in 1977. Gaye threads multitracked backing vocals throughout almost the entire tune, sometimes echoing the lead lyric, sometimes breaking the spell with shattering ad-libs then knitting everything back together by bathing the whole track in the prettiest of ooohs and aaahs. When he starts to fade out not long after four minutes, you may not feel ready to leave. Adult Contemporary U.K. Australia Austria Canada France Germany Ireland Netherlands Norway Switzerland, 12. But when Rick hired a replacement, Teena rose from her sickbed, stormed into the studio, and said, No way Im gonna let some other bitch sing that song. As Rick recalled in his memoir Glow, Still sweating from her fever, Lady T marched into the booth and tore that shit up. As Wells told biographer Peter Benjaminson, she thought it would be cute to pay tribute to Mae West during the outro, doing a bit of a sultry staccato. The Happening The Supremes / U.S. Officials say they're aiming to create a welcoming. Aint No Mountain High Enough 2017 Remix Diana Ross / U.S. Dance Club, 6. You Are The Sunshine of My Life Stevie Wonder / U.S. J.D. Adult Contemporary, 27. Adult Contemporary, 4. Pop U.S. R&B U.K. Australia Ireland Netherlands Switzerland, 10. Pop U.S. R&B*, 17. He didnt know our names, Mary Wilson recalled of that auspicious debut. I mean, she delivered a vocal performance that folks are gonna be listening to as long as human beings are capable of love., had James Brown. But his slower, altogether more spooked version was the one that stuck, no doubt helped along by Jack Ashfords subtle tambourine. Devil In The Bottle T.G. War Edwin Starr / U.S. Pop*, 11. Reach Out And Touch (Somebodys Hand) Diana Ross / U.S. R&B**, 11. . The important thing is to keep listening to and paying tribute to the greatest label and the greatest roster of stars, writers, producers, arrangers, etc., ever assembled on one label. Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) Marvin Gaye / U.S. R&B, 9. While the sentiment was downcast, it resonated with listeners at the time (it nearly reached the top of the Billboard charts) and today (the album from which it was taken, Whats Going On was named the #1 record in the 2020 Rolling Stone list of the best albums of all-time). J.N. But its a buried treasure that can give any Motown connoisseur the shivers, from the Vandellas superb LP Watchout! 10: 1970 Various The Complete Motown Singles | Vol. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); About Us Contributors Terms of Service Privacy Policy 2023 uDiscover Music, Photos: Motown Records Archives (Rick James), Motown/EMI Hayes Archives (Stevie Wonder, Mary Wells, Martha And The Vandellas, Marvin Gaye), Rick James - Super Freak (Official Music Video), Heaven Must Have Sent You (Stereo Promo Version), Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me), Youre The Man: Marvin Gayes Staging-Post R&B Top Tenner, Diana & Marvin: Motowns Superstar Friends Finally Join Forces On Record, Dancing In The Street: Martha And The Vandellas Perfect Dance Record. Things are not what they seem, admits Smokey, a topic he also dealt with in Tears Of A Clown. His pain was our gain. Thatstrangeness aside, the elegantly sumptuous record co-written byJohnny Bristol, a songwriter and producer who can also be heardsinging in the background is one of the most majestic and poignantrecords of the Motown era. Do You Love Me The Contours / U.S. R&B, 4. Pop U.S. R&B U.S. Dance/Disco, 4. If the fella took no notice, hes got no soul. That letter she wanted probably held a 1961 gold record. Stevies 1976 tribute to the swing jazz giants who inspired him as a kid is delivered with such joy that it could have been the work of Sir Duke Ellington himself though far funkier. Lets Get Serious Jermaine Jackson / U.S. R&B, 3. This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You) Isley Brothers, #1 cover version by Rod Stewart with Ronald Isley: U.S. Sam Armstrong, One of the greatest duets ever, this Lionel Richie-penned tune topped the Billboard charts for nine weeks. The Supremes would eventually record their own version, though it wasnt released until 1987. What a guy. Roy Ayers) [Groove Boutique Chill Jazz Mix], My World Is Empty Without You (Tranzition Remix), Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me) [Easy Mo Bee Remix], Smiling Faces Sometimes (Futureshock Main Ingredient Mix), What Becomes of the Brokenhearted (Mocean Worker Remix), Reach out, I'll Be There (Montez Payton & Taurus Braxton Remix), (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave (Noizetrip Mix), Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing (The Rurals Cool Mix). E.L. Pop U.S. R&B U.S. This silky 1967 treatise on desire, previously recorded by The Temptations, is one of the best Motown love songs. Signed, Sealed, Delivered (Im Yours) Stevie Wonder / U.S. Smiling Faces Sometimes The Undisputed Truth / U.S. R&B**, 8. Set to a lilting waltz arrangement, this bittersweet tale of anxiety is never resolved appropriately, as couples still face the same problem. I was so taken with the mother and her little speech that stayed with me, so I came up with the song, Lamont Dozier said. Neither One Of Us (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye) Gladys Knight & the Pips / U.S. R.S. In 1970, the Spinners one of Motowns smoothest vocal groups had been off the charts for four years, when Stevie Wonder and Syreeta Wright co-wrote what would become their biggest hit. Adult Contemporary / and by Robson & Jerome (in medley): U.K. 25. James Jamerson, Bongo Eddie, Robert White, Earl Van Dyke. The second phase of Stevies career saw him creating some of the most life-affirming Motown songs of the 60s, and this hymn to Ms. You Cant Hurry Love, My Baby Loves Me, Ooh, Baby, Baby, I Want You Back, Aint That Peculiar, My Smile is Just A Frown (Turned Upside Down), Chain Reaction, Signed, Sealed & Delivered,The Boss, Quicksand,Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While),You Beat Me To The Punch. Of course, musical tastes are subjective, and that will always be true. Pop U.S. R&B, 15. Composed by Smokey and his sister Rose, Quiet Storm was not a huge pop hit, but it represents two things: a new genre of soul, which gave radio programmers an innovative format called, yes, Quiet Storm; and Motown coming to terms with the fact its music was not entirely for kids and parties anymore. Pop U.S. R&B U.K. 6. Wrap My Body Tight Johnny Gill / U.S. R&B, 5. The strutting foundation of All Night Long is unimpeachable, a squirt of bass notes scattered around a dry, echoey snare drum. They gained acclaim for helping to change soul in the 70s by adding rock guitar, and did the original version of Twist And Shout (later covered by The Beatles on their debut album, Please Please Me). On 12 January 1959, the music sensation that changed America - and the world beyond it - was set in motion. I just look for Matousek's name in the credits. Required fields are marked *. Detroit-born 29-year-old Berry Gordy founded Tamla Records with an $800 loan from . Pop, 12. Ross uses a single tempo shift to great, dance-floor-destroying effect in Love Hangover, vaulting from breathy, besotted, slinking funk to darting disco, with cymbals shushing like angry passengers on an Amtrak quiet car. Celebrate with Abdul Duke Fakir, the last and still living member of The Four Tops. Blowin In The Wind Stevie Wonder / U.S. R&B, 3. I Second That Emotion Smokey Robinson & the Miracles / U.S. R&B, 15. Superstition Stevie Wonder / U.S. Youre All I Need To Get By Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell / U.S. R&B, 20. The last Number One hit of the Sixties, it was afitting send-off for the group and the decade that birthed them. J.D. But Boyz II Mens 1992 New Jack Swing sound was styled after classic vocal soul, Motown included. Baby Thats Backatcha Smokey Robinson / U.S. R&B, 15. More Smokey magic, this time as a tunesmith alongside fellow Miracle Pete Moore. Ive Never Been To Me Charlene / U.K. Australia Canada Ireland, 15. Yet the ladies got back to work with new singer Jean Terrell and kept cranking out hits. 371. One of Motowns best paranoid psychedelic funk songs penned by Norman Whitfield and lyricist Barrett Strong. Spartan yet sweet, it hearkened back to the doo-wop era at a time when soul music was just beginning to get lavishly psychedelic, a simple statement of love and determination that got the groups career going after years of waiting in the wings. E.L. Smokey replied to his own song for Mary Wells with this wonderful record, Robert Whites simple but effective guitar figure contrasting beautifully with David Ruffins powerful vocal. The Motown Box Box Set, Remastered Michael Jackson Format: Audio CD 33 ratings $12592 See all 3 formats and editions Streaming Unlimited MP3 Listen with our Free App Audio CD $125.92 5 Used from $14.99 2 New from $125.92 After defining the sound of young America with the mid-Sixties pop elegance of Mary Wells, the Miracles, Marvin Gaye, and the Temptations, and the girl-group glory of the Supremes, the Marvelettes, and Martha and the Vandellas, the labels two most visionary artists, Gaye and Stevie Wonder, pushed against Gordys dictatorial rule to create adventurous, socially conscious landmark Seventies albums like Whats Going On and Innervisions, which expanded Motowns scope while staying true to its core hitmaking values. And so he did, with aid from his fellow Miracles, particularly Marv Tarplin, who provided the guitar riff at the songs center. In true Motown fashion, the recording was a family affair, with the Supremes helping out on background vocals. I was really joking, she later said. Written and produced by Smokey Robinson, the track is a fluttering, soft, ultra-feminine tale of fidelity, with Wells coyly rejecting the advances of other men. Adult Contemporary U.S. Dance/Disco Canada Ireland, 2. Adult R&B, Each B-sides of #1 hits, a unique chart accomplishment, #1 cover version by En Vogue (acapella intro to Hold On) / U.S. R&B Dance Club, 3. Wanda Young, in The Marvelettes lead singers role, had set a tender trap for a fella, but love hit me like a sudden slap, turning the tables. The ruler of the tear-soaked adult ballad, Gladys Knight donned her dancing footwear for her debut Motown single, released on its Soul imprint in 1966. Adult Contemporary, 19. Motown Vinyl Releases Nelly NELLYVILLE (2LP) 2x12" 28.07.22 20th anniversary double vinyl reissue of the iconic second album from nelly. Richie recorded the song with frequent collaborator James Anthony Carmichael and a variety of session musicians (some of whom had played on Thriller), working up a plush, Caribbean-inspired groove that fits like an impeccably tailored velvet suit. Can I Get a Witness had a strong impact on British soul fans too; the Rolling Stones put a version on their debut album and even wrote their own answer of sorts, an instrumental vamp called Now, Ive Got a Witness, and Dusty Springfield begged and shouted her way through her fantastic version in 1964. group effort; neither Mary Wilson nor Cindy Birdsong appeared on it, their places taken by session singers Maxine and Julia Waters. But you can still hear a strong current of R&B and an undertow of gospel in this thrilling floor-filler and all-time mod mover. My Girl The Temptations / U.S. mosogotam 136K subscribers Subscribe 5.3M views 11 years ago ..a classic Motown song.and. Apple Inc. Junior Walker aka Autry DeWalt Mixon, Jr was Motowns leading horn-playing star, guaranteed to kick up a rumpus, yet sensitive, too. Stoned Love The Supremes / U.S. R&B, 23. Diana says farewell to The Supremes with a version of the 1961 Johnny And Jackey duet that manages to be both resigned and hopeful. Pop U.S. R&B, 22. It made US No.50 in 1966 and had to wait until 1971 to become a UK No.3. All pf these are Motown gems that went to No. 5: 1965 Various Were all invited. Love Is Here And Now Youre Gone The Supremes / U.S. Pop Canada, 14. Working out of a separate mixing and mastering room . You Cant Turn Me Off (In The Middle Of Turning Me On) High Inergy / U.S. R&B**, 12. Nightshift The Commodores / U.S. R&B Netherlands, 14. K.H. Between the Detroit Symphony Orchestras tremulous, swooping strings and the Tempts honey-dripping harmonies, singer Eddie Kendricks daydreams about dating a neighbor girl who is way out of his league. Hip-hop exploded into the popular consciousness when the Sugarhill Gangs Rappers Delight cracked the Top 40 early in 1980. The group apparently had doubts about dissing their dads, who were all upright folk. A few days after the first was released locally, Gordy second-guessed himself too slow, not enough life, he grumbled and he brought everyone back to record the peppier version that became Motowns first million-seller. One of the keystones of Ms. Ross' solo career and proof that Motown could conjure up disco classics of epic proportions. Tryin To Beat The Morning Home T.G. They turned Too Many Fish in the Sea into a timeless feminist pep talk for anyone going through love troubles, with Gladys Horton as the voice of wisdom: I dont want nobody who dont want me/Theres too many fish in the sea! Benny Benjamins drums really second that emotion. Happy People The Temptations / U.S. R&B, 12. Pop U.S. R&B, 18. I Cant Help Myself Four Tops / U.S. Youve Really Got A Hold On Me The Miracles / U.S. R&B, 7. "You Really Got a Hold on Me" by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles It's hard to resist the tune's first line"I don't like you, but I love you"which perhaps explains why this. Pop U.S. R&B Australia, 11. How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) Marvin Gaye, #1 cover version by James Taylor: U.S. Motown was never short of material that cast a male singer as uncertain about a relationship, but the 1968 hit Does Your Mama Know About Me touches a different nerve, as a once-bitten, twice-shy Taylor wonders whether his ethnicity will see him rejected by his new loves family. K.G. Three Times A Lady The Commodores / U.S. Aint Too Proud To Beg The Temptations / U.S. R&B, 2. Originally cut in 1964, it was shelved until 1967, when it became a belated hit just in time for the Vietnam War, when the songs yearning for a loved one to return lent it yet another context. Sam Armstrong, Marvin Gayes poignant song about the environment only becomes more relevant as time goes on. Pop* U.S. R&B, 4. That Girl Stevie Wonder / U.S. 1s, with the Miracles and as a solo artist. Pop U.S. R&B, 1. For Your Love Stevie Wonder / U.S. In my own experience mixing, it's hard [[if not downright impossible) to try to eliminate vocals and such from the original song. K.H. Adult Contemporary Canada, 2. D.B. I Wish Stevie Wonder / U.S. 12. Adult Contemporary, 18. Reggae was just beginning to catch a fire in the U.S. in 1974, but as always, Stevie Wonder was ahead of everyone else: He took it to the Top Ten. A recreated version of the Motown DI is now publicly available as the Acme Audio Motown DI WB-3. Here well show you why. Baby Im For Real The Originals / U.S. R&B, 6. Pop U.S. R&B, 20. Hed just say, And here they are, the the the girls! J.D. After the Temptations shifted course toward funkier, harder-hitting fare like Psychedelic Shack and Ball of Confusion, Just My Imagination was a sweet nod to the groups classic sound. May 17, 2019 First recorded by The Temptations, but a huge hit for The Undisputed Truth in 1971, here's the hard-edged aspect of Motown, superbad and tough. Pop U.S. R&B U.S. Pop, 2. Heaven Help Us All Stevie Wonder / U.S. R&B**, 21. Marvin is overwhelmed by desire in the title track of his 1976 album, I Want You, produced and co-written by Leon Ware. Pop U.S. R&B, 5. Boogie Down Eddie Kendricks / U.S. One of the greatest Motown songs ever. All rights reserved. Pop** U.S. R&B, 16. With My Guy, she also became Motowns first major star, topping the pop charts while the label was still in its early days. 2019 Preview 1 I Want You Back (Z-Trip Remix) Jackson 5 4:35 2 I Heard It Through the Grapevine (The Randy Watson Experience Sympathy For The Grapes Mix) Gladys Knight & The Pips 5:30 3 Let's Get It On (Da Producers MPG Groove Mix) Marvin Gaye 4:22 4 Heard so often, it still sounds bright and alive. In fact, many times Ultimate classical rendition of Diana Ross' Ain't No Mountain High Enough with the London Symphony Orchestra. Please Mr. Postman The Marvelettes / U.S. Take Me Higher Diana Ross / U.S. Dance/Disco, 13. In the best Motown tradition, I Just Want to Celebrate transcended genres. Pop U.S. R&B*/**, 14. Ashford and Simpson knew they had a hit Nick called it the golden egg, Simpson later recalled. You should only add "Motown Records" as copyright holder or some other company role, if it is mentioned on the release. Soul with ambition, soaked in passion. The collection features a staggering total of 208 chart-topping Motown hits, including such indelible classics as the Four Tops I Cant Help Myself, Marvin Gayes Whats Going On, the Jackson 5s ABC, Martha & the Vandellas Dancing In The Street, The Marvelettes Please Mr. Postman, Diana Ross Aint No Mountain High Enough, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles I Second That Emotion, the Supremes Where Did Our Love Go, the Temptations Aint Too Proud To Beg and Stevie Wonders Signed, Sealed, Delivered (Im Yours)., The new edition of the box set adds ten bonus tracks across its first ten discs. It was also a goodbye to Paul Willaims: soul times were changing in 1971. Sam Armstrong, The Isley Brothers only recorded songs for Motown for a short time, but they made a mighty impact with this pleading HollandDozierHolland gem. Lionel Richie knows it sounds funny, but hey, hes leaving, so he might as well play a pleasantly languorous piano groove and soothe his lover back to sleep on the holy day. Ballerina Girl Lionel Richie / U.S. So You Think You Know Martha And The Vandellas? Adult Contemporary Australia Canada -Netherlands, 8. One doozy of a catchy song, penned by Motown backroom legends Holland-Dozier-Holland alongside Canadian singer Richard Dean Taylor. PROVINCETOWN A man known for his Motown devotion has died of coronavirus, or COVID-19, his cousin has confirmed. I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) (Extended Alternate Background Vocals Stereo Mix) 2-16: Four Tops - Something About You: 2-17: The Supremes - Stop! With its bright melody, inviting title hook, and effervescently insistent beat, the Supremes third Number One hit is a master class in hiding a heartbreaking message in a shiny package; Diana Ross sings about having it so bad for a boy that she leaves her friends behind so she can clear time for him to come back into her life which he obviously isnt going to do. Another slowie, 1964-style. It remains one of Motowns best songs. Its a good list, but I would have made some substitutions from this list: Pop U.S. R&B, 14. Rub You The Right Way Johnny Gill / U.S. R&B, 4. For those listeners, theres a John Morales extended mix of I Want You that stretches more than twice as long, teasing out the relationships between the individual instruments (especially a lone, pesky horn) and letting you live in that vamp for nearly 10 minutes. Just To Be Close To You The Commodores / U.S. R&B, 5. You Keep Me Hangin On The Supremes / U.S. Pop U.S. R&B Canada Norway Switzerland, 3. Even a strange, droning digression, delivered in a tone that suggests Marie is imitating a robot overlord, cant prevent this one from achieving lift-off. D.B. (That initial bang is the sound of guitarist Eddie Willis accidentally kicking his amp.) Part-Time Lover Stevie Wonder / U.S. Pop** U.S. R&B U.K. 7. Gaye sings about street life in his falsetto, declaring, Theres only three things in life thats sure taxes, death, and trouble. R.S. Lets Get It On Marvin Gaye / U.S. 4: 1964 Various The Complete Motown Singles | Vol. R.S. Adult Contemporary, 11. Awesome and atmospheric, this US No.1 wasn . Its All In The Game Four Tops / U.S. R&B*, 12. Alls fair in love and war: A reconnaissance mission turns into a romantic ambush in the Marvelettes hit The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game. Secretly I been tailing you, like a fox that preys on a rabbit, Wanda Young sings. The songs vibe is consciously international, fitting in Caribbean, Spanish, and Swahili phrases. Follow the Motown playlist. And heres a more rolling groover: a US solo No.1 for the former high tenor of The Temptations. If I Were Your Woman Gladys Knight & the Pips / U.S. R&B, 1. Pop Australia, 13. Adult Contemporary, 13. An early marker of success for up and coming super-producer Norman Whitfield, this irresistible single was one of just two US Hot 100 entries for a girl group signed to a record company awash with them. The title phrase was inspired by a BMI awards ceremony, where one of the winners, songwriter Ronnie Mack of Hes So Fine, was eulogized by his mother, who accepted the award after his death from Hodgkins lymphoma. 2023 Rolling Stone, LLC. Pop Canada, 21. Pop U.S. R&B, 7. Since then it has become regarded as a total classic of Motown balladry. Touch Me In The Morning Diana Ross / U.S. I've also done some of my own Motown extensions and reworkings, of which I've shared Youtube links on here since I joined the board a few months ago. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The movie for which it was written is largely forgotten today, but the song will be remembered forever. My World Is Empty Without You is one of Motowns most obsessive beats Diana Ross gets haunted in her lonely house, staring at her four walls, but the sadness is all in the rhythm. On the tune, one of her first forays into more mature, soul-music territory, she narrates the tale of an illegitimate child, racked with guilt, scorned by her mother (and society), and embarrassed by her own existence. Three years after proclaiming that Young Girls Are My Weakness, the group was praising a mighty mighty who was built like an Amazon. A brick house means shes stacked, Commodores frontman Lionel Richie once said. First recorded for The Temptations Psychedelic Shack album, Edwin Starr took War to a far angrier place in 1970, and it became an anthem for those who opposed the Vietnam War. Baby Love The Supremes / U.S. Adult Contemporary Australia Canada, 11. Back In My Arms Again The Supremes / U.S. Pop U.S. R&B U.S. J.D. He planned it as a duet with his protg Teena Marie, until she came down with a bad fever and her doctor warned her not to sing. Dueling funk riffs slide over proto-boom bap drums as frontman G.C. The Temptations may refer to at least two groups 1. You usually end up with faint vocals or sounds that can still be heard, or other sonic anomalies that just don't always sound right. Gayes early Seventies albums tend to get more attention than his work later in the decade, but 1976s I Want You is wildly ambitious and recklessly groovy, maybe nowhere more than its title song. Cruisin Smokey Robinson / U.S. Living For The City Stevie Wonder / U.S. R&B, 4. Pop U.S. R&B Canada, 19. Sir Duke Stevie Wonder / U.S. A.M. Few hits in the Motown canon have as many backstories and multiple meanings as the Vandellas last Top 10 hit. Down To Love Town The Originals / U.S. Dance/Disco, 6. The guy said, Lionel, theres 101 African dialects,' Richie explained to the New York Post. Cloud Nine was the first of the Temptations psychedelic singles, influenced by the revolutionary audience-bridging soul power of Sly and the Family Stone. Free shipping for many products! One of my favourite Motown duets ever. 17. Adult Contemporary Canada, 26. It will be available digitally and in the eye-catching physical release, in which the 11 CDs are housed in a replica of Motowns original Hitsville USA headquarters in Detroit, Michigan, now home to the Motown Museum. , that warn a flirtatious partner to take it slow/or someday youll be all, alone, the Jackson 5s third straight Number One was a step in a more adult. Im Still Waiting Diana Ross / U.K. Ireland, 7. Master Blaster (Jammin) Stevie Wonder / U.S. R&B Austria Switzerland. They performed it for the first of their 19 appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show. When Kendricks returns, all the instruments drop away except the hand percussion, creating the kind of endlessly loopable kinetic breakdown thats catnip for DJs. 'extended' versions with an 'acapella' track intro Motown Mix Acapella Various Medley