I'd rather hunt with a bow anyway," notes the young sportsman, who's been a bowhunter since the age of 13. The inside spread is 21 2/8 inches. The popularity of sika deer hunting in Maryland has increased markedly over the last decade. 422 in the world, its a really big whitetail from Wayne County. Kevin waited until he was sure the buck was down for good, and then climbed down and walked over to the deer in the brush. Stags generally have a dark, shaggy mane running down their neck, and their antlers are narrow and sweep backwards rather than forwards like the white-tail's antlers. Charlie drove to the DuHamell residence the next day and snapped several more photos of his friend with the giant buck. Field tags are available in the Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping or a tag can be made by the hunter with the appropriate information (hunter name, DNRid number, county of harvest and date of harvest, or a Confirmation Number with the hunters name when the animal has been checked in). Type "Maryland deer hunting" into any search engine on the Internet, and you'll come up with a number of websites that will link you to those services. "That's unusual for a deer with many non-typical points. "My wife usually works evenings. | And shotgunner Walt Lachewitz's 185 7/8-inch 5x5 currently stands as the overall state record in the typical category. For ease of use, deaf and hard of hearing hunters are encouraged to use the internet check-in site or mobile app. In addition to the plan, deer managers produce annual reports on Maryland deer (both white-tailed and sika) populations and their management. It was tagged in Grafton County. +'?ID={ItemId}&List={ListId}'); return false;} if(pageid == 'tag') {STSNavigate(unescape(decodeURI('{SiteUrl}'))+ 65 all-time. It also has a 23 -inch inside spread. 'He has no idea you are here and he's quietly bedded. (That county lies to the west side of Chesapeake Bay but also has many farms.) But in 2002, the East Coast experienced one of its worst droughts on record. Billy had been watching the deer for a mere hour and 15 minutes, but it seemed like a lifetime. It was bagged in Graham County, and continues to hold the record by nearly 40 inches. A Maryland man was convicted this week for poaching a potential state-record whitetail deer on a neighbor's property last fall. Follow the instructions above to prevent this error from appearing. The top buck in Razorback country was harvested by William Dooley. It's definitely one of the most impressive racks I've ever scored!". These bugles usually consist of a series of three whistles, heard primarily during early morning and late afternoon. "Every hour or two, the buck would stand up and shake off the water like a wet dog," Billy remembers. On Feb. 23, 2005, he was shed hunting on one of those farms when he found a large non-typical shed antler about 50 yards from a ladder stand that is known as the "river ladder." They took their time and worked their way toward me slowly.". 'I'll call you back in a while.'. But he also had his head on the ground, and I was watching him trail those does all the way.". crutchfield buck scored 268 still remember the day i got a pic of this buck on my cell phone notice how small the bucks body is. Both main beams are over 30 inches, and the inside spread is an impressive 28 5/8 inches. Also, the only standing field of corn on the property was located right in front of me, and that was a big plus. The Maryland General Assemblys Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. In fact, when I looked at all entries from both books back in 1996, only two states -- Wisconsin and Illinois -- had entered more deer than Maryland, mile for mile. Although sika deer do not appear to rely on agricultural crops as heavily as white-tailed deer, they still respond favorably to agricultural food resources. A Kent County man convicted Tuesday of illegally killing a potential state record white-tailed deer was ordered to pay a fine, make restitution to the state and perform community service. With a broken voice, I whispered, 'Dude, I've got the biggest buck I've ever seen in my life bedded right behind me. I was soaking wet, shivering and hungry. 1 in West Virginia and No. Mike Clerkin offers advice for hunting whitetails with a pistol. "It was covered in blood, and there was a good blood trail leading away from the spot." It has a total of 26 points, 15 of which are abnormal. He had only run about 35 to 40 yards from where I had shot him. November day in 1926, Minnesota. Stan Potts discusses which archery releases may be best for you. Deer & Turkey Tagging & Checking. Harvested by Tony Lovstuen, Iowas top nontypical was taken in Monroe County in 2003. | Billy would like to use his newfound fame to take some deserving youngsters on dream hunts. While making the long half-mile walk around to where he had gone, I began to second-guess myself. But I ran across the NEW PENDING Maryland State Sika deer archery record at 70 5/8" I think this one beat the old one by almost 5 inches ! Sika deer often use phragmites as movement corridors between feeding and bedding areas. "My boss' property has big hay fields they use to feed horses." One day in early August 2002, Charlie was working on the farm. 43 all-time. He saw a number of deer but no shooters. Of the 26 points on this great rack, the one that draws the most attention is the 10 7/8-inch drop tine corkscrewing down off the right main beam. "'No, I don't want to mess this thing up,' I said. ', "'Good luck!' When he went afield on the day of the kill, he was carrying a Hoyt Carbon Element compound bow, even though the second segment of muzzleloader season already had been open for nearly a week. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources. Maryland officials knew immediately that it was a new state record. In the alfalfa field behind Kevin, the frost was slowly surrendering to the rising temperature. Dr. James Kroll is in Kentucky hunting the rut. However, all but two mass measurements are less than 5 inches. It's not just names and numbers. A Dorchester County resident has officially been recognized by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources for a new state fishing record, Chesapeake Bay Division, for sheepshead. The stand is near a marsh close to the Potomac River. Just $1 per month , We combed the record books to find the biggest, baddest nontypical bucks from each of the 45 states that hold whitetail deer, By When the buck reached a spot 35 yards from the tree stand, the bowhunter made a grunting sound with his mouth. '/_layouts/15/docsetsend.aspx' Taken in Stanley County, this deer is a huge animal. There are a number of reasons: Maryland, like a lot of the other top trophy producers, has a firearms season that starts after peak rut. Since 1887, Boone & Crockett has been keeping records of some pretty impressive deer along with other big game species, and with their help, we put together this list of the biggest nontypical whitetail bucks from every stateincluding the biggest hunter-killed buck of all time. Finally, unlike white-tailed deer that raise their tail like a flag when alarmed, sika deer have a round white rump patch that flares outward when they are excited or alarmed. | While hunting remains the most cost-effective and efficient population control mechanism available in most Maryland landscapes, continued urbanization has necessitated the development and use of non-lethal techniques where hunting is not practical or acceptable. Advanced Levergunner. One last factor favoring the production of record-book deer in Maryland is that there is a growing trend toward letting younger bucks walk and shooting more does. I hoped that when the river's high tide started coming in that he would move and give me a shooting opportunity, but he didn't. In that same article, Dick provided details of Jack Poole's 228 4/8-inch non-typical, along with an even bigger one found dead by farmer Rob Saunders in a soybean field. The Department of Natural Resources leads Maryland in securing a sustainable future for our environment, society, and economy by preserving, protecting, restoring, and enhancing the States natural resources. Even after 12 7/8 inches of deductions on the basic 5x5 frame, the wide, massive 26-pointer netted 223 3/8 inches. You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Despite not having seen any deer on that hunt, he'd left his climber at the base of the tree after descending. "Since he was behind me, I got a steady rest against the tree and placed the cross hairs toward the back of his rib cage. The challenge of the hunt, their uniqueness as a trophy, and the excellent flavored venison they provide, has resulted in a steadily increasing harvest. By then it was too dark to tell. Legal shooting light was still almost an hour away as 26-year-old Maryland farmer Kevin Miller crossed the 15-acre frost-covered alfalfa field en route to his Kent County stand on Nov. 30, 2002. Ranking No. Subscriber Services. Make a permanent record of their deer or turkey registration by either: Recording the confirmation number on a Big Game Harvest Record (provided with a hunting license) or creating a hard copy record of their own, or; Maintaining an electronic record of the confirmation number on a mobile device. One of four nontypical bucks taken in the state, this deer goes 201 7/8 inches. Try disconnecting and then reconnecting the modem or router for your Internet Service Provider as that may cause your computer to be assigned a new IP address which might not be blocked by those services. This book is a compilation of more than 30 years of the best and biggest Maryland Whitetails, Black Bears and Sika Stags ever recorded. It sports 30 points, a 21-inch inside spread, and 28 2/8- and 29 1/8-inch main beams. G.O. Billy Crutchfield of Bel Alton, Maryland, is no stranger to big bucks. In Maryland's archery rankings, this spectacular buck has supplanted the 220 2/8-incher Yates Claggett shot on Nov. 5, 1995, in Prince George County. By 2 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 27, 2006, Billy was settling into the swivel seat of his Cabela's 16-foot tower ladder with the tidal marsh to his back. So clear your At the peak of the market-hunting era, waterfowlers Sign up for the Field & Stream newsletter and get the latest intelligence straight to your inbox. But what could I do? Going into the fall of 2002, all of the guys suspected there was a "marsh monster" prowling the farm. Going into the 2013 season, Jordan knew a big buck was living somewhere in the 15-acre swath of creek bottom at the center of his boss' farm near the town of Fair Hill. Copyright Maryland.gov. With heart-pounding excitement, Billy prepared for the shot. As an official scorer for Pope & Young, Mike "green" scored the buck at a little over 201 inches gross typical, net 193 and change. The evidence: three other sheds picked up within 200 yards of "The Hotel" stand by Kevin and Brad since 1998. He never knew I was there. They were still there -- in fact, they'd never moved -- when I climbed down six hours later. The deer has 39 points, a 20 1/8-inch inside spread, and much more. Junior said. 580 Taylor Ave., Annapolis, MD 21401 Call toll-free in *Maryland* at 1-877-620-8DNR (8367) Out of State: 410-260-8DNR (8367) The Hoyt launched a Carbon Express Maxima Red arrow and three-blade Grim Reaper broadhead toward the deer's side. It's always interesting to look back on a successful hunt and try to determine what made the difference the day everything came together. I could hardly dial the phone as I tried to call Junior. One year later, the buck did the same thing, only this time Billy was able to get a shot. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. Discovered in Portage County, its a behemoth of a whitetail. The Deer Project utilizes broad-based deer management techniques to meet their diverse goals, which are: to ensure the present and future well-being of deer and their habitat; As daylight crept into the bottom, two-dimensional shadows became well-defined beech, hickory, oak and poplar trees. My mind was trying to play tricks on me and attempting a shot was out of the question. Only two of eight mass measurements are 5 inches or greater. 8540, National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential. One of eight nontypical entries from the state, the Healy buck is the top deer in Massachusetts and is No. "It was obvious that he was heading in the direction the other buck had gone. Three tines are over 13 inches, and one is. It would turn out to be the highest-scoring whitetail ever taken by a hunter on the entire Eastern Seaboard. The top buck in Bama was bagged by Jon G. Moss in Perry County. Please enable JavaScript in your browser. 83 in the world. WHS biologists initiated a tagging study in 1988 to obtain important information on harvest rates, longevity, and movements of sika deer. For more information call 410-228-2677. Not only did that make the Miller buck a record for Maryland, he was also the biggest East Coast typical submitted for entry into the B&C record book since New York's Roosevelt Luckey buck (198 3/8), which was shot way back in 1939! So when he got back there at around 2:30 p.m. on Dec. 27, all he had to do was ratchet himself up the tree again. The rut generally results in increased movements by stags during the day, which can increase the odds of seeing one during legal hunting hours. These items may be obtained from a Department of Natural Resources Service Center, Department of Natural Resources Sport License agen t or online at dnr.maryland.gov/pages/licensing.aspx. "It was all greened up and pulled in a lot of deer," he says. But big nontypical whitetailssporting racks covered in drop tines, extra main beams, and a dizzying number of pointsare on another level. "Mile for mile, this tiny coastal state consistently produces whitetail bucks that can be compared to the best in North America," he claimed. The double drop tines are pretty cool, too. ", The spot he chose was "exactly on a creek bottom near an old cattle fence," Jordan says. Both male and female sika deer use vocalizations to communicate. But these hunters never expected to tag the deer they did, either. By establishing a records database more than 70 years ago, the Boone and Crockett Club established a scientific baseline from which researchers can use to study wildlife management. Found in Christian County, its the No. When required, the field tag must be attached to the head of the deer or leg of the turkey. Faced with deer densities approaching (and in some cases exceeding) the habitat's capacity, many Maryland landowners and deer hunters have begun to manage the herd. JavaScript is required to use content on this page. However, the inside spread is only 14 2/8 inches. In addition to the habitat and movement studies, WHS, in cooperation with the University of Maryland Appalachian Environmental Laboratory, conducted a reproductive study to determine the breeding age of sika deer and the number of calves born per hind by age class. We're available on the following channels. The Maryland General Assemblys Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. The Maryland General Assemblys Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. We published Marylands first comprehensive big game record book titled Marylands Finest: The Records and the Legacy, with plans to publish the Second Edition in 2023. Nine months after finding the impressive shed antler, Billy couldn't wait to get into the woods during the opening week of Maryland's shotgun season. '/_layouts/15/expirationconfig.aspx' "The Hotel" is on a ridge just 30 yards into the woods from the alfalfa field and overlooks a sweeping multiflora rose and hardwood bottom that leads to a beaver dam 100 yards southwest of the stand. A 6-point stag is a trophy, with 8-pointers being extremely rare. Stags during the rut define their breeding territories by making wallows -- scraped out depressions in the earth that are urinated in and wallowed in, causing the stags to smell strongly of urine. And so, not too many veteran whitetail hunters in the Old Line State were shocked when Jordan DuHamell broke the non-typical archery record with a giant from one of those "other" counties in 2013. The biggest buck in Delaware was taken in Sussex County in 2005. But she was off that night, so I was able to go hunting. Mike Clerkin is in Pike County Illinois chasing whitetails with his muzzleloader. The DNRid number is printed on all hunting licenses. You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Other common foods of sika deer include poison ivy, catbrier, and marshgrass. I could see his body and I tried to get a reading, but nothing happened after I pushed the button. Farmers, hunters and wildlife officials recognize that the female component of the herd must be aggressively dealt with to help alleviate crop losses and prevent serious destruction to the habitat. Interestingly, its bases are over 7 inches. Consider scanning your computer with free anti-virus and anti-malware software such as. 92 all-time, it scores so well thanks to the 30 points it has. A couple of drop tines dont hurt, either. Interestingly, one beam is under 18 inches, and the other is less than 17 inches. "I miss them so they can become 'monster' bucks," he later explained.). "'No,' I answered. A hunter can also increase his or her luck by hunting on edges and gaps within patches of phragmites located between marsh and woodland terrains. D.Reporting Deer or Turkey Killed by Means Other than Hunting. At No. Jay Downes bagged a 173-inch 4x4 with his shotgun. By Joshua Nearhoof 11 years ago. "I looked at my watch, and it was 3:45 p.m." Jordan figures that from the time he spotted the monster buck until he put an arrow into his lungs, roughly a minute elapsed though it seemed a lot longer. Jordan's giant also ranks fifth among non-typicals taken in Maryland by bow or gun. . It has a total of 17 points, a 22 6/8-inch inside spread, and mass measurements ranging from 4 2/8 to 6 1/8 inches. This deer is similar on each side, with 15 points on the left and right antlers. Bagged in Cheyenne County, it sports 29 points, and ranks No. "Bob" Newton III, a measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope & Young and the Maryland Trophy Deer Contest, worked with P&Y scorer Mike Travis to tape the buck's headgear following the mandatory 60-day drying period. The rack has "only" 28 scorable points, which is an amazingly low number for such a high . Gordon Whittington offers tips on ensuring your weapon is accurate while traveling. ". (It's not associated with chronic wasting disease and usually doesn't affect the quality of the meat.). Billy hunted both Saturday and Sunday on opening weekend of the 2006 shotgun season without incident. Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. Ranking No. I had killed some nice deer in my life and I had seen some nice bucks, but this buck was beyond anything I could have imagined. For more information call 410-228-2677. Mike Clerkin is in Pike County Illinois chasing whitetails with his muzzleloader. A huge whitetail buck with a rack beyond anything I had ever imagined was bedding down in the marsh. If you study the rack, youll see its quite a bit heavier on the left side. It has 41 scoreable points, an inside spread of 18 2/8 inches, and beams over 22 and 23 inches. Taylor's Island WMA or the 20,000+-acre BBS is not a contest and any animal taken in any year will be considered for entry. He couldn't believe it when I told him what had happened. This buck is the second largest bow deer taken by a hunter. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. The buck sports 19 scoreable points, and has everything you want, including long beams, a wide spread, and lots of tines. 6 all-time. "I was really excited," the hunter says. Current population levels appear to be low enough to ensure crop damage is minimized, while still providing plenty of hunting opportunities for sportsmen and women. The biggest Florida deer ever harvested was taken in Wakulla County in 1941. The happy archer immediately opened his phone and texted Charles a short but memorable message: "I've killed a monster.". Even as adults they have white spots, mainly running parallel down their back. Billy J. Padgett shot the biggest buck in Georgia in Telfair County in 1998. Had I made a good shot? "For a rack that size, it was a measurer's dream -- very clean and very symmetrical," Bill Cooper noted. I wasn't about to take a risky shot through 6-foot reeds at that distance. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. "They seemed to have a lot of mass. "I'd already made up my mind I was going to shoot a doe if nothing else came along. Copyright Maryland.gov. Its also the largest nontypical of all time, anywhere. '/_layouts/15/DocSetVersions.aspx' But it really shines in the mass department. It has heavy mass, with two measurements over 7 inches, two over 6 inches, and four over 5 inches. Kevin could hear and see deer milling around on the far bank. 2 deer in the state. The 333 7/8-inch Missouri buck is the biggest whitetail ever to come out of the Show Me state. ', "'I can't,' I whispered. Have the excitement and celebrity of shooting the largest buck ever recorded on the entire Eastern Seaboard changed Billy Crutchfield? It sits at No. It ranks No. The Maryland General Assemblys Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. And to think these bucks all came from a state of only 9,838 square miles! Subscriber Services. A couple of other components play important roles in Maryland's ability to turn out healthy, mature bucks. Hunters must use their DNRid number when checking in a deer or turkey. You have a great view." Sika deer were also released and established populations on Assateague Island during the 1920's. The largest nontypical Coues whitetail ever harvested was tagged by an unnamed Native American in 1971. His dad, Gary, younger brother, Brad, and three uncles, Charlie, Ronnie and Kenneth ("Bunk"), have reputations as honest, hard-working people who care deeply for the land they farm and for the wildlife resources sharing that land. Two state Wildlife Management Area's (WMA's) in Dorchester County offer sika hunting opportunities. Route 472 before entering Pennsylvania. Its one of 14 Alabama bucks to make the all-time list. Each deer or turkey checked in will have its own confirmation number. For first-time non-resident hunters of any age who never held a Maryland hunting license. Kevin had only a split second to shoulder, sight and trigger the Model 1100 before the buck would vanish into the thick cover of the sidehill. Register their game with the Department of Natural Resources using one of the following: the Maryland Big Game Registration Phone Line 888-800-0121, The Department of Natural Resources official mobile app (AccessDNR). Junior asked. All North American Whitetail subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. As light faded, the big buck drifted out of the alfalfa and into the marsh. The buck was shoving his head into the downed treetop. Guide to Hunting and Trapping in Maryland. When you enter your trophy into the Boone & Crockett system, you arent just honoring the animal and its habitat. Since then, Maryland has continued to rack up impressive entries for the record books. It packs 45 points, main beams in the mid-20s, and a 24 3/8-inch inside spread. Its No. Deer and turkeys cannot be moved or transported untagged if a confirmation number has not been received. "We never got pictures of him after (2010), but we'd see a big buck at long distances in some of the fields," Jordan says. Incredibly, Kevin's trophy dressed out at only 146 pounds. After the 60-day drying period, Boone and Crockett scorer Bill Jones from Delaware provided the final score: 201 6/8 gross typical and 194 0/8 net! 1 in the state, and was bagged in Edgar County. The Department of Natural Resources leads Maryland in securing a sustainable future for our environment, society, and economy by preserving, protecting, restoring, and enhancing the States natural resources. "At about 2:25 I turned around toward the marsh and could hardly believe my eyes. Please enable JavaScript in your browser. "It's horse country," Jordan points out. "It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy," Charlie claims. Resident Regular Hunting License - $24.50. "About 3:15 p.m. two does came out (of the bottom)," Jordan says. Who doesnt love the club hanging off that right side? Kevin Miller's enormous Maryland buck was a dream come true -- and not a moment too soon. He was right!". Maryland Mammals Sika Deer ( Cervus nippon) Description & Range: Sika deer are small members of the elk family that have a dark brown to black coat. 79 all-time, much in part thanks to its 31 total points, 18 of which are on the right and 13 on the left. You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Hunters who meet certain shooting qualification standards become certified and receive a Maryland State Shooter Qualification Card valid for the current hunting license year. Hunters are required to furnish the confirmation number to taxidermists and processors/butchers before they can leave their deer or turkey. Bagged by an unknown hunter, the biggest nontypical from Washington was taken in Washington County. "'Calm down,' I kept telling myself. When timber is cut, the harvested site often reverts to a tangled thicket of briars and saplings. Not too shabby for an East Coast buck! In addition, public and private forest landowners continually provide a never-ending supply of upland hideouts in the form of what I call "black holes." The McLaughlin buck is a whopper. "Cecil County is just north of Kent County, where Kevin Miller killed his record buck," points out Charlie Prickett. This is an impressive deer, but it doesnt sport giant main beams, going 23 inches on either side. Complete a Deer and Turkey Field Tag at the place of kill in ink and attach it to the animal, or; Check in the animal at the place of kill and receive a confirmation number that can be furnished upon request. Sika stags had much larger home ranges, often greater than 500 acres, and depending on the time of the year, moved much longer distances in a given day. It's doubtful he'd have survived more than another week or two. A big stag will dress around 100lbs. Pat Hogan discusses the use of an AR rifle as a whitetail hunting option. The first is that there is no shortage of great hiding places. 150 all-time. Give a Gift The palmation on the right side is insane. This deer is pretty wild looking. The official tally was 268 1/8, only 4/8 inch shy of Bob Beyer's green score. That's the last town a traveler passes through on Md. Interestingly, this deers gross and net scores are less than 10 inches apart. Please enable scripts and reload this page. "Once I was driving back from there and a big buck ran across the road in front of my vehicle, but off a neighbor's property," he remembers. It was shot in 1994 by James H. McMurray. The Tucker buck from Sumner County was at one time the largest hunter-harvested nontypical. There's a simple answer to that question. He's got points going everywhere!'". The Seneca Creek . "About 8:25 I checked the time on my cell phone and I turned to look behind me. The buck didn't stray too far from the security of the swampy bottom, and based on the sheds he could enter the 2002 season as an 8 1/2-year-old. It has 27 points, main beams around 26 inches, and a spread that reaches 20 3/8 inches. Heath heads for Saskatchewan with his bow as he hunts the wilderness in search of the predatory black bear. In fact, Kevin Miller and the rest of his hunting group now have had a QDM program on the farm they hunt for several years, as have some of their neighbors. Probably the most amazing thing about this buck was his main beams: 31 6/8 inches on the left, 33 0/8 on the right. The area is less intensively farmed than are some of the better-known deer counties farther south, but otherwise it has a lot going for it as whitetail habitat. To make the spot even more attractive to local deer, that afternoon Jordan placed a canister of Buck Bomb on a nearby tree limb. The 4-pointer appeared to be pushing on the big deer's rack!