Don Frye is an American former mixed martial artist, professional wrestler, and actor. brawls with The Viking Raiders: SmackDown highlights, April 28, 2023 . Somewhere halfway between Japan and L.A., hed turn into Don The Predator Frye rock star, Spencer said. How do you top that?. He didnt And it just all worked out. after his UFC career. Thats why we became good friends, because I knew him before he was famous and I didnt want anything from him. Frye stopped his opponent's takedowns and land punches, knees and elbows, and used a judo ude-garami on the jiu-jitsu champion, something that was unusual at the time. He wasnt doing real good, he was in professional MMA contest. Fryes memorable MMA career dates back to February 1996, at UFC 8, when he became a three-fight tournament winner after defeating Gary Goodridge in what remains one of his most noteworthy moments. He asked, because they called me up for UFC 9, and I asked Jack for the time off and he went to the city manager and the city manager said no. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images), Don Fryes career took a toll on his body, but he still makes sure to care for his horses and property. "Maybe not the present life, but he's got a lot of good memories, two beautiful daughters who take care of him, a beautiful bulldog, two . I had to quit (the job as a firefighter). I was molested a few times when I was a kid, so that will f make A lot of people that were around Don always wanted something from up there and did all the framing on the garage and put their trusses up The referee, Yuji Shimada, he was crying during the fight said it was an honor to be a part of that fight.. After being given a standing eight count early on, he was forced into a corner and knocked unconscious with a right hook at the 1:30 mark of the first round. [1] A year later, he transferred to Oklahoma State UniversityStillwater, where his teammates included future colleague Randy Couture. experiences in his youth, and it still fuels him to this day. We were out at one of my friends house and there was When he started getting a little bit famous, Ultimate Ultimate 2 in 1996 while finishing as runner-up in UFC 10. A former pro boxer and a licensed firefighter, Don Frye made an impressive professional fight debut by knocking out 6'1", 410 pound Thomas Ramirez in 8 seconds. It indicates that He is on life path 1. The Predator had a professional MMA record of 20-9-1 with one no My wife betrayed me and is taking the kids with her, so I got nothing. Creative Commons, Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Before the UFC got its legs, Japans PRIDE was the top mixed Senator John McCain was actively campaigning against the sport he referred to as human cockfighting, Frye was forced to choose between his two occupations. Don Frye departed Pride on the back of four consecutive losses and next appeared fighting under MMA rules in K-1. came around at that time and I was like 28, 29, and then I got into it. Nobody else on the planet but him wouldve made that fight owes me, and Im like, Don, you dont owe me anything. of times. he was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2016. Despite his success in MMA, Frye retired from the sport after winning the Ultimate Ultimate '96 tournament. He is credited on IMDb for the role as "Wrestling Opponent". (Photo by Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images). I never did that. Youre not a man anymore., Then the kicker was when she says, I dont think you can provide for the family anymore. Ah, OK, theres the truth.. shoulders down. Find out how your news organization can use Cronkite News content. Takayama, God bless him, man, he said. friends. I tell you, the timing couldnt be better, Frye said. Pro-Wrestling (DDT) in 2017. Its not fair. of modern MMA. [9] Frye got the edge on a series of clinch battles, while Shamrock dropped down for an ankle lock and transitioned into both a kneebar and a toehold, wrenching Frye's leg badly; however, despite the damage, Frye refused to tap out and managed to knock Shamrock down in a subsequent punching exchange. [4], In 1995, Don Frye helped train Dan Severn for the Ultimate Ultimate 1995, accompanying Severn's entourage to Denver. [18] In October 2008, Frye wrestled at the Pro Wrestling Expo shows, teaming with Yoshihiro Takayama in a losing effort to Masahiro Chono and Scott Norton on the first day, then losing a six-man tag on the third day. Don Frye Height and Physical Info Some people are indeed interested in the weight and height of celebrities, but there is a more important question to ask. Could overturning of Roe v. Wade impact athletic recruiting at Arizona universities? Widely recognized as one of the first fighters to successfully combine various styles into a well-rounded MMA game, The Predator looked back on the reasons behind his early octagon success. Sign up for the MMA Junkie newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning. Don Frye won his final belt in the UFC during Ultimate Ultimate 2 in 1996 before moving on wrestling and MMA in Japan. In 2006, he made an appearance as an Aryan Brotherhood member in Miami Vice, lent his voice for The Ant Bully, and appeared in the Rob Schneider prison comedy Big Stan, along with fellow mixed martial artists Randy Couture and Bob Sapp in 2007. I had more than just wrestling or boxing, Frye said. That still blows me away," said Greyhound Soul's stalwart leader Joe Pea ahead of this weekend's gigs marking the band's nearly three decades of music. storied 15-year career. UFC Hall of Famer Winner of UFC 8 , UFC 9, the Ultimate Ultimate 2 '96 New Japan Pro Wrestling, Co-host of Dan and Don's Toxic Masculinity Podcast. Two, learn his (expletive) name. Frye won via technical knockout on the scorecard, but it was truly the viewers who won. After joining, Frye would spend most of 1999 and early 2000 feuding with Scott Norton over the unofficial title of Gaijin Ace, took part in the G1 Tag League in 1999 with Chono, and make two challenges for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship but was unsuccessful in each attempt. Here, though, Frye ankle-locked Hall to advance to the finals without breaking a sweat. Then, he was asking me how much he owes me, and Im like, Don, you dont owe me anything. Old bullets, his father's Air Force memorabilia, commemorative Japanese pieces, and photos of him and his two daughters fill his living room's wooden shelves. But, if you ask Frye (20-9-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC), the apex of his career didnt come with the submission win over Tank Abbot that made him the Ultimate Ultimate 1996 tournament winner. Your email address will not be published. Takayama severed his spinal cord while Don Frye Throughout his 15-year MMA career, two-time UFC tournament champion Don Frye put on numerous timeless fights that, to this day, are hailed as some of MMA's biggest fan-favorites. He departed the promotion to compete in K-1 and Hero's in 2004 but returned for the final Pride event in 2007. caring in front of everybody, but when we were alone, You just arent you a little angry, Frye said. Readmore, A federal judge handed down a 51-month prison sentence to Brian Kolfage, co-founder of a fraud called We Build the Wall, which he billed as a grassroots fundraiser to fulfill the campaign promise of former President Donald Trump for "big, beautiful" wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. Frye finished his UFC career with a 9-1 record, with no fights going the distance. All rights reserved. Frye capitalized on a failed neck crank attempt to get standing and try to outmatch Coleman there, but he was taken down again, and a late takedown attempt of his own also failed, with Coleman reversing and threatening with an overhead throw before returning to his routine. The one regret Frye had over his career was not listening to his body. added. Dan changed my life, Frye said. Readmore, Arizona is home to more than 200,000 undocumented immigrants, most of them are unable to obtain a drivers license, but community advocates are hoping for change at the state level, and one lawmaker is adamant about delivering that change. Takayama, God bless him, man, he said. Frye hasnt taken part in active competition since 2011, but, to this day, gets asked questions about the 2002 brawl against Takayama. January 26, 2022 11:55 am ET. Don Frye is a guy who enjoys his life, Frye said. https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2016/06/with-horse-gone-and-wife-leaving-don-frye-says-ufc-hall-of-fame-came-at-the-right-time, Twitter reacts to Mike Perry's TKO of Luke Rockhold, faceoff with Conor McGregor at BKFC 41, Eddie Alvarez def. The video covers the Top 10 FINISHES of Don "The Predator" Frye. I was never the same after that. Frye will make his way to the UFC Fan Expo once again on July 10, when the formal induction ceremony is set to take place at Las Vegas Convention Center. But, youd get off the plane and it was just crazy, the people would like mob him. Furthermore, his surgery was intended to fix two titanium rods in his back. debuted in 1996, winning UFC 8, finishing all three fights in under dont think I fought in the UFC until I was 30.. doesnt know how to go backwards, he just goes straight forward like a Right: Don Fryes career took a toll on his body, but he still makes sure to care for his horses and property. Took a big chunk out of my spirit that fighting spirit He didnt deserve that. entails, rewinding and rewatching the move that cost Takayama his body A lot of people that were around Don always wanted something from him, Spencer said. While his close friends knew him as J.R. Frye, he had a was in a bad place, said Spencer. That rage followed Frye throughout his career and beyond as he is set the most famous MMA fights of all time. Fyre figured the early childhood experience was just life as he Despite Don Fryes challenges, he still proves to be a real fighter. And it was Spencer who got Fryes pit bull, Quinn. Japanese pieces and photos of him and his two daughters fill his living Don Frye has two daughters with his ex-wife Mollie Frye. His personal year number in 2023 is 5. shoulder). Don Frye has two daughters with his ex-wife Mollie Frye. contest over his storied career. And he couldnt believe it because everybody else that always hung Readmore, California and Arizona are currently fighting each other over water from the Colorado River, but this isnt new - its actually been going on for over 100 years; at one point, the states literally went to war about it - and the problem comes down to some really bad math from 1922. He would later win UFC 9 and Ultimate Ultimate 2 in 1996 while finishing as runner-up in UFC 10. I was molested a few times when I was a kid, so that will f make you a little angry, Frye said. Severn has victories over the other on the matching ottoman with a sigh. Frye was molested three times as child, he said. him by the scruff of his neck to keep from falling. The life of a UFC Hall of Famer has sculpted Fryes life and The O.C. Quinn, and two horses, Puzzle and Funk. Hell yeah. Since he retired in 2011, he has been in and out of hospitals. He lives a simple life on a quaint two acre property backing the 100% Free and No Sign-Up Required. My friends said that horse was wild and that nobody else could He got me some fights across the country where I didnt get paid but thats pretty much how you test somebody.. Hope he gets himself turned around. An aggressive brawler also known for his patriotic, open and quote-worthy public persona, Frye is certainly one of MMAs most recognizable personalities worldwide. If I can make $50,000 in one night, with six weeks of training, its a hell of a lot better than working all year long just to make $45,000.. Frye returned to Pride in February 2002, facing long-time rival Ken Shamrock at Pride 19 in a fight he had been trying to trash-talk himself into ever since Shamrock had defeated Dan Severn at UFC 6. Even though Shamrock had injured Frye's ankles, later leading to dependency on painkillers,[10] the two hugged after the fight ended, putting an end to their rivalry. Like I said, the back is a mess.. That rage followed him throughout his career and has led to a major role in an upcoming movie with actor Michael Par about tracking down and killing pedophiles, he said. He found success in the sport he loved, but rooted in that journey is a dark past. appeared through his thick, burly mustache as Takayama the 6-foot-7, Don experienced a brain hemorrhage while in surgery. First at 6 by a family friend, then at 8 by an adopted family It was Fryes career and charisma that turned him into an icon overseas. Don Frye was born on 1965-11-23. Currently, Don Frye is 57 years, 3 months and 20 days old. In the semifinals, Don Frye and Mark Hall met in a rematch of their UFC 10 bout. What started out as an easy way to make a couple of bucks or rather, a lot of extra bucks ended up becoming a career when, at a time when then-U.S. Since he retired in 2011, he has been in and out of hospitals. First at 6 by a family friend, then at 8 by an adopted family relative, and then at 10 or 11 while working as a dishwasher for a hotel in Sierra Vista. Dan changed my life, Frye said. horses, and some good friends., Zach Yentzer, one of two independent candidates vying to challenge Regina Romero as Tucson's mayor in November, said his campaign was ending after losing a challenge over his petition signatures. Id like to kill those f that did that to me, Frye said, staring out the kitchen window at the Catalina Mountains, a cigar in his hand. He retired from MMA in 1997 to pursue a career in professional wrestling with New Japan Pro-Wrestling (NJPW) and quickly became one of the company's leading heels. his career started to spiral in the wrong direction when he became kicker was when she says, I dont think you can provide for the family It appears ONE Championship won't be doing business with former UFC heavyweight champion and prized free agent Francis Ngannou. The fight was to be the first fight in YAMMA's Masters Division, a division for fighters over the age of 39. Proud of the scrap, he doesnt mind answering them but asks that you please do him a favor beforehand. Gallery: Duel Fyre's gag email turned into a hand modeling gig. Irregular western flagstone paver flooring ties it all together. Furthermore, Noah actors fans express their excitement to see The Predator back in the fighting scene once more should he decide to come back. I figured Id pick up some quick cash, pay off the bills and get back to the department and back out in the field, and it just snowballed from there. In a fight that many consider to be one of Pride's most exciting matches, Frye and Takayama clinched in a hockey fight pose, each holding the head and hitting, with Takayama finally going to the body after more than a full minute of unrelenting, undefended shots. Spencer, a retired fire battalion chief, has been like a brother to Frye for nearly 30 years. Hell yeah. According to TMZ Sports, a fan at this past weekend's UFC 270 event tempted fate by bumping into the legendary UFC Hall of Famer's 10 . Don Frye won his final belt in the UFC during Ultimate Ultimate 2 in 1996 before moving on wrestling and MMA in Japan. Last year, they opened the door and let me into the UFC Fan Expo, and I guess it went good enough that it made the other door open., Frye went on to brush off any lingering bad blood with White, who praised the soon-to-be Hall of Famer as a legend in this sport and one of the toughest guys to ever compete., We dont send each other Christmas cards, but you know, Frye said jokingly. Appearing in an MMA bout for the first time in five years at Pride 16 in Osaka, Japan on September 24, 2001, two weeks after the September 11 attacks, Frye entered the ring waving an American flag and wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the words "terrorists suck". Due to the controversy surrounding MMA at the time, Frye was barred from both firefighting, his previous occupation in his hometown of Sierra Vista, Arizona, and from training in the Buena High School gym he had used since his ASU days following the event. reliant on pain medication from his various injuries. Then, he was asking me how much he I shouldve retired after the Takayama fight, said Frye, who had a storied 15-year career. His voice would get deeper, just everything. grade as therapy, he said, before MMA came around. Like I said, the back is a mess., Many fans remember Frye and love to interact with him, like at this UFC International Fight Week Legends Panel in Las Vegas. The induction also got him through a major back surgery, one that left him in the hospital for almost three months, with most of it being in a medically induced coma from brain hemorrhaging. animals and property. got here, Don started getting better.. 2023 Cronkite News. Don Frye Before Fame [ ] On 11-23-1965, Don Frye was born. [2], After college, Frye trained in boxing for a year and a half and made his professional debut on August 28, 1989 in Phoenix, Arizona, scoring a first-round knockout over Luis Mora. And I get pretty pissed off when people try to take advantage of him.. Frye fought numerous big names during his foray in fighting from the mid-90s, including Mark Coleman, Tank Abott, and Ken Shamrock. He finished his career in 2011 with a pro MMA record of 20 wins. Frye had over his career was not listening to his body. I dont think I fought in the UFC until I was 30.. Readmore, Cattle grazing has seriously damaged much of the 42-mile long San Pedro conservation area in Southeastern Arizona, according to a study by the Tucson-based Center for Biological Diversity, which pointed a finger at "cow-worshipping, rancher-fearing BLM employees." MMA Fighter Birthday November 23, 1965. Its not fair. promotions, the UFC, PRIDE FC and New Japan Pro-Wrestling were among the Bio Don Frye, best known for being a MMA Fighter, was born in Arizona, United States on Tuesday, November 23, 1965. I had competed in front of crowds before. materialized and the experience led to him to start drinking in fifth Ever since Severn coached him at ASU, he knew Frye would do well. The Numerology of Don Frye [ ] I already knew he had a bone-headed attitude, Severn said. 76.6K followers. He took the role based solely off the plot, he added, with no monetary motivations. couple on my hand, couple on this (left) elbow, this (right) elbow, Sign up for our newsletter and get every update delivered to your inbox! Don being Don, he would take a lot of time with them and Im sure thats what made him big over there., His popularity also led to his featured role in Godzilla: Final Wars.. Three months later, at a joint New Year's Eve show Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye 2001: K-1 vs. Inoki, Frye defeated Cyril Abidi with relative ease, taking the French kickboxer to the mat and controlling him throughout round one before finishing him with a rear naked choke in two. martial arts promotion in the world, and on June 23, 2002, Frye and The most special thing to him is his dog, he said. Don Frye is a guy who enjoys his life, Frye said. If you enjoyed the . In MMA, he was one of the sport's earliest well-rounded fighters and won the UFC 8 and Ultimate Ultimate 96 tournaments and finished as runner-up UFC 10 in his first year of competition. crying during the fight said it was an honor to be a part of that CATALINA - Don Frye eased into his tan leather chair, loosened his back brace, and rested a leg on the matching ottoman with a sigh. [16] He lost out to Keiji Mutoh in his first title shot in April 1999 and was defeated by Kensuke Sasaki in his second in February 2000. [23] Frye also portrayed mayor and former wrestler Mike Haggar in the Final Fight fan film "The Broken Gear". Hell yeah. Much to everyones knowledge, Don went through difficult challenges both in his health and family life. that journey was also a dark past. My horse had died. : Unfortunately, this night was the second time I felt I was refereeing a fixed bout. He also wrote a humorous weekly column called "Dear Don: Advice from The Predator" in which he gives fans advice on love, life, friendship, and more. The fight between Don Frye and Yoshihiro Takayama in Japans PRIDE 21 was so intense that the referee had tears in his eyes. present life, but hes got a lot of good memories, two beautiful A Birth Sign Sagittarius. Kitamura found Frye's tough-guy/good-heart demeanor to be the perfect role for the character of Gordon. Don Frye will celebrate 58th birthday on a Thursday 23rd of November 2023. (Photo by Andrew Lwowski/Cronkite News). I was never the same after bring it home? and Im like Yeah. Swear to God, as soon as that dog Who won? said Dan Severn, who wrestled and coached at Arizona State But one day, he suddenly disappeared from the fighting scene. Don being Don, he would take a lot of time And it just all worked out. Both fighters exchanged He was an NCAA Division I wrestler at Oklahoma State University. The match more closely resembled a hockey fight than a I already knew he had a bone-headed attitude, Severn said. people would like mob him. many chapters that altered Fryes life. He soon made the jump to the burgeoning sport of mixed martial arts himself and joined the Ultimate Fighting Championship the following year. He also appeared for All Japan Pro Wrestling (AJPW) on October 26, 2003 at their 31st Anniversary, challenging Toshiaki Kawada for the Triple Crown Heavyweight Championship in a losing effort. Frye captured his first Ultimate Fighting Championship on Feb. 16, 1996 defeating Ramirez and two other opponents. to have a major role in an up-and-coming movie with actor Michael Overall, its a blur, but when you watch it, you think, Oh yeah, I remember that, he says. He mentions his bulldog is the only thing keeping him going, his daughters are doing their own thing so they don't talk much apparently, and he's in pain 90% of the time and on morphine. My horse had died. I have never seen anything like it, Spencer said as he recalled a Tucson Sentinel's independent nonprofit newsroom learns from & informs Southern Arizonans about the community challenges & unique culture of our Borderlands. sunk into a padded wooden chair while rehashing his trauma, staring out In the finals, Frye faced striker Tank Abbott, who landed early shots, opening a cut on Frye's face and causing swelling. My wife died in 1999, Spencer said. Don bought everybodys lunch, hes a real goodhearted guy, and took care of people. As. Fun facts: before fame, family life, popularity rankings, and more. After being in Team 2000 for two years, Frye left the group and joined Keiji Mutoh's new stable, BATT, where he made a third attempt at the IWGP title in July 2001 but came up short again, falling to Kazayuki Fukita. MMA veteran Don Frye has said he punched a UFC fan in the face after they challenged him to a fight. It seems like Dons family chooses a life behind the spotlight. There, Frye took part in what is known as one of the most iconic MMA fights of all time. Hey, Fight fans, we will be covering TOP 10 DON FRYE FINISHES for today. Fryes cage name comes from his first English bulldog, and the first Predator movie, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. Overall, its a blur, but when you watch it, you think, Oh yeah, I On April 4, 1998, Frye won the Antonio Final Opponent tournament and earned the right to wrestle NJPW founder and wrestling legend Antonio Inoki in his retirement match, which took place later that night. story about Frye. Jake Massey. He wasnt doing real good, he was in the middle of the divorce at that time, and somebody had this bulldog that they didnt want anymore and so he called me and hes like, Can I bring it home? and Im like Yeah. Swear to God, as soon as that dog got here, Don started getting better.. After three rounds of what many considered to be a lackluster fight, the bout was ruled a draw. And it was Spencer who got Fryes pit bull, Quinn. His two daughters, who he I was never the same after that fight. 2004 account For a fair sport/true mma fan, ain't no shill. Frye sat in silence as he watched, rewinding and rewatching the move that cost Takayama his movement and career. The Predator, often regarded as one of the grittiest fighters in MMA history, acknowledged he hadnt watched his fight with Yoshihiro Takayama in years. He Frye appeared in an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia entitled "The Gang Wrestles for the Troops", in which he played a professional wrestler that was getting pummeled by Roddy Piper's character, "Da' Maniac". I mean, Mr. White and I got into a pissing contest on the internet seven or eight years ago. He debuted in 1996, winning UFC 8, finishing all three fights in under three minutes with Severn in his corner. 76.6k Followers, 179 Following, 188 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Don Frye (@donthepredatorfrye) donthepredatorfrye. I never did that. My horse died back on Labor Day. poor Jack, he was upset, had to tell me. So, if you see Frye around Las Vegas during International Fight Week, be sure to shake the mans hand and let him know you appreciate what he accomplished during his legendary career. Then we just started punching.. Use our convenient PayPal/credit card donation form below or contact us at donate@tucsonsentinel.com today. popular trending video trivia random. From there, he signed with Shark Fights stateside the following year. punching., The fight only lasted six minutes and 10 seconds of the first round, Don Frye and Yoshihiro Nakao rematched at K-1 Premium 2004 Dynamite on December 31, 2004 with Nakao coming out on top and winning a unanimous decision, resigning the American to his sixth unsuccessful fight. Half a dozen horse saddles are stacked We were out at one of my friends house and there was this horse we were on this 10-acre thing, and it was on the other side Don calls over to the horse and the horse comes over and lets Don pet him. He participated in Godzilla: Final Wars, Miami Vice, and No Rules. As of date, his daughters names and other details are unavailable. He went on to win nine of his 10 UFC bouts, with a sole octagon loss coming by the hands of Mark Coleman, before moving on to PRIDE where he put on memorable (and victorious) battles against Shamrock and Yoshihiro Takayama.